Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Using coolant lines with after-market heaters

It seems like a lot of people remove their interior heaters and loop the coolant lines behind the driver or at the engine, losing this option for heat. They just let the lines loop back to their source without using them. I have not, however, found any discussions about utilizing this efficient heat source for the build.

Would it be possible to hook up the coolant lines to after-market heaters that are smaller or more efficient than the original heat exchangers? Has anyone put in a custom solution to make use of these coolant lines for interior heating?

(I am aware that these only heat while the engine is running. I知 talking about a supplemental heat source.)

Thank you!

jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

For instance, something like this Jegs auxiliary heater assembly: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...BoCgfQQAvD_BwE
Old 08-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Why do you think that is any more efficient than a stock heater, it is pretty much the same thing? All a heater is, is a air to water heat exchanger with a fan. If you don't like the box build a different one around it.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Why do you think that is any more efficient than a stock heater, it is pretty much the same thing? All a heater is, is a air to water heat exchanger with a fan. If you don't like the box build a different one around it.
I知 not really questioning whether the stock heater or an after-market one is more efficient. I知 interested in whether other people attached heaters to the coolant lines after getting rid of the stock heaters.

I didn稚 like the size of the stock heaters, so I知 wondering if there are some other types out there that are tried and true, that other converters have used for the same reason.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet89 View Post
I知 not really questioning whether the stock heater or an after-market one is more efficient. I知 interested in whether other people attached heaters to the coolant lines after getting rid of the stock heaters.

I didn稚 like the size of the stock heaters, so I知 wondering if there are some other types out there that are tried and true, that other converters have used for the same reason.
Their size is what made them so efficient. A smaller one would not be as efficient. Most get rid of them due to their size requirement. Also, they are basically oly used while running. They get replaced with something that can be used when parked.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

same page, I think.its a great idea. I am working on my bus and had the same thought. I started looking for answers landed me here. I think it will work, that same energy heated the bus before with less insulation.
Doogie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie150 View Post
same page, I think.its a great idea. I am working on my bus and had the same thought. I started looking for answers landed me here. I think it will work, that same energy heated the bus before with less insulation.
Insulation needs are different than what was needed to keep the bus 20* higher than ambient for 45 minutes, twice a day, than what one wants for staying in one.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ive done a lot of that! the stock bus heaters usually work fine but like the underseat heaters are large and use blade fans vs blowers.. these make MUCH more noise than a blower-based aftermarket heater.. I replaced my little rear underseat heater that was nothing but a sound factory wit ha nice Jegs unit that is quieter and moves twice the heat. the stock dashboard heaters and defrosters are generally really good barring any issues.. they are almost always dirt-caked and the blower motors are sometimes dying.. but its not too bad to clean them up put on a new motor and you have a really great front heating system. I replaced one of mine with a heat / cool box so i could have dash air and dehumidified defrost air..

I have a diesel heater for supplemental heat so when im parkeed I can use the same heat exchangers to keep the inside of the bus warm (and pre heat the engine since it has no glow plugs) ..

theres not a lot of gain in efficiency as somewhereinusa mentioned an aftermarket heater is the same as a bus heater in that its a coil with a blower.. but ive found aftermarket heaters to be easily ductable and much quieter.. I run my system as a parallel flow so one heater with smaller pipes cant bottleneck the whole system.
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466e
Now I see why its a great idea cadillackid, great!

This bus had an extra 12v pump between the heat exchange units, maybe they all do? The pump was shot and line after the pump was plugged with black mud. Bet them kids were chilly on a -25 degree Minnesota morning.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant heater, heater, heater removal, heaters, heating options