RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Is a the interior sheet metal structural? Yes. Will removing it significantly weaken the structure of the bus to the point of being unsafe? Probly not. Is the real danger all the sh*t in the bus flying around in a collision or rollover? Most definitely.

Ted
TJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Back to the original question, pull the interior panels or leave them?

I've got a take on it I don't think anyone mentioned. When I got my bus and stripped the seats and floor I was impressed by the level of filth that had accumulated in the 16 years of the bus's service life. I'm thinking I don't want to leave the interior panels on, even the roof panels, given how thoroughly the filth had infiltrated every nook and cranny of the interior. I don't think I'd ever sleep well in that bus. This is not to say that I might not have to leave the interior on for the first year or 2 but I'm not going to be happy till it's all out.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Back to the original question, pull the interior panels or leave them?

I've got a take on it I don't think anyone mentioned. When I got my bus and stripped the seats and floor I was impressed by the level of filth that had accumulated in the 16 years of the bus's service life. I'm thinking I don't want to leave the interior panels on, even the roof panels, given how thoroughly the filth had infiltrated every nook and cranny of the interior. I don't think I'd ever sleep well in that bus. This is not to say that I might not have to leave the interior on for the first year or 2 but I'm not going to be happy till it's all out.

Interesting thought, but if you moved into an older house, would you strip the walls to inspect and clean them before you felt comfortable in the house? Just because the real estate owner mopped the floors and painted it to sell it doesn't mean there are not rat droppings, fleas, and who knows what in the walls or attic. It is doubtful that a bus would have this type of problem. Probably safer than a used house.

If the crap in the walls doesn't do you in in a year or 2 why would it be worse the next year? Are you gonna wear a hazmat suit while you are doing the work? If it is going to get to you it would be while you were stirring the crap up. Maybe an expensive HEPA air filter with a UV air sanitizer would be cheaper, easier, safer, better solution and make you feel more comfortable about your bus?

Just wondering....
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Interesting thought, but if you moved into an older house, would you strip the walls to inspect and clean them before you felt comfortable in the house? Just because the real estate owner mopped the floors and painted it to sell it doesn't mean there are not rat droppings, fleas, and who knows what in the walls or attic. It is doubtful that a bus would have this type of problem. Probably safer than a used house.

If the crap in the walls doesn't do you in in a year or 2 why would it be worse the next year? Are you gonna wear a hazmat suit while you are doing the work? If it is going to get to you it would be while you were stirring the crap up. Maybe an expensive HEPA air filter with a UV air sanitizer would be cheaper, easier, safer, better solution and make you feel more comfortable about your bus?

Just wondering....
Both very good points to ponder but I'm going with the kidharris solution on this one. I have a hepa filter, a uv light system and an ozone generator (formerly used for mould remediation and DBO removal) that will neutralize it as well as I require for my use. FYI if you are planning to use ozone please follow safety procedures and understand that over exposure can be harmful and too much can also deteriorate some types of rubber and plastic
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E450
Good to hear this recap-was not aware of that information which makes me feel a little better about rollovers.

In a rollover, or even in a tipover, I'm guessing the biggest risk for many of the conversions I've seen in pictures is getting crushed or maimed by the fridge, wood stove, or other poorly secured cabinet.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:

Just wondering....

Wow, the OP asked for opinions related to whether to remove the interior lining of a bus they're working on and I provided a perspective and you seem to have gotten your nose out of joint because of it. The only response I can come up with that matches your is . . . "Oh yea?? Well, you're short!!!!"
Old 01-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Wow, the OP asked for opinions related to whether to remove the interior lining of a bus they're working on and I provided a perspective and you seem to have gotten your nose out of joint because of it. The only response I can come up with that matches your is . . . "Oh yea?? Well, you're short!!!!"

Sorry, I missed the point of your post. Were you saying the Op wouldn't be able to sleep at night unless the OP removed the interior lining of the bus?

BTW, my nose has been out of joint for ... ever, and I refuse to wear lifts ... so there oops, I can't find the exclamation mark, misplaced it again. Can I just copy yours?
Old 01-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Interesting thought, but if you moved into an older house, would you strip the walls to inspect and clean them before you felt comfortable in the house?
If I may respond to this, in buying an old house, I don't have the option or the resources (i.e. money) to strip the walls and ceilings. It would take a large scale remodeling. With a skoolie build, it is a smaller project. And I am building the whole thing out of a school bus with that entails like mold, dirt, etc. unless I buy a skoolie that someone has already built. So it makes sense to strip the walls, ceilings, and floors, for me anyway. Just my $.02.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the point of your post. Were you saying the Op wouldn't be able to sleep at night unless the OP removed the interior lining of the bus?

BTW, my nose has been out of joint for ... ever, and I refuse to wear lifts ... so there oops, I can't find the exclamation mark, misplaced it again. Can I just copy yours?
This is the third time I'm trying to post a response to your post. Let's see if it makes it this time.

I never said the OP wouldn't be able to sleep in his/her bus I said I wouldn't be able to comfortably sleep in MY bus until I took down the ceilings and inner wall panels. I was going to leave it at that because the OP didn't ask for reasons just 'what would you do'.

When I shortened my bus I discovered significant areas in the insulation above the perfed rear ceiling that were black. I don't know if it was black mold or not but if got me to thinking.

The front of my bus also has perfed ceiling, do I take the chance of the same thing above that ceiling. Can I assume that non-perfed ceiling will prevent/contain black mold (if that's what it was)?

As Snuffleupagus said a bus isn't a house. Houses don't go down the road at 50 or 60 mph hitting all manner of bumps and MOST houses don't have windows that leak like the sieves that are bus windows. Those leaky bus windows allow water into the side walls -- without a doubt. What kind of nastiness might be growing in the side walls of a typical 16 year old school bus that was never well cleaned to start with?

Houses also don't have thousands of children tramping in all manner of road grime, broadcasting biological detritus and generally treating a house like they regularly treat buses? I'll answer for you, 'they don't'.

The OP asked for input, I provided some, nut sure why you felt it necessary to respond to my post, not just once but twice.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
This is the third time I'm trying to post a response to your post. Let's see if it makes it this time.

I never said the OP wouldn't be able to sleep in his/her bus I said I wouldn't be able to comfortably sleep in MY bus until I took down the ceilings and inner wall panels. I was going to leave it at that because the OP didn't ask for reasons just 'what would you do'.

When I shortened my bus I discovered significant areas in the insulation above the perfed rear ceiling that were black. I don't know if it was black mold or not but if got me to thinking.

The front of my bus also has perfed ceiling, do I take the chance of the same thing above that ceiling. Can I assume that non-perfed ceiling will prevent/contain black mold (if that's what it was)?

As Snuffleupagus said a bus isn't a house. Houses don't go down the road at 50 or 60 mph hitting all manner of bumps and MOST houses don't have windows that leak like the sieves that are bus windows. Those leaky bus windows allow water into the side walls -- without a doubt. What kind of nastiness might be growing in the side walls of a typical 16 year old school bus that was never well cleaned to start with?

Houses also don't have thousands of children tramping in all manner of road grime, broadcasting biological detritus and generally treating a house like they regularly treat buses? I'll answer for you, 'they don't'.

The OP asked for input, I provided some, nut sure why you felt it necessary to respond to my post, not just once but twice.

You don't need to defend your posts.

I can't get behind your attitude, though. That's all you. Maybe the buses are full of nasty kid "biological detritus" and that's the real reason that they are retiring the buses. If you feel the need to deep clean your bus I'm fairly sure no one cares.

I was just suggesting an possibly, easier alternative, meanwhile, I see no reason to continue this conversation.

BTW, "Old Teller" was my favorite movie when I was maybe 8-10 yo. Haven't thought about it in probably 60 years or so. though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050798/
Old 01-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
You don't need to defend your posts.

I can't get behind your attitude, though. That's all you. Maybe the buses are full of nasty kid "biological detritus" and that's the real reason that they are retiring the buses. If you feel the need to deep clean your bus I'm fairly sure no one cares.

I was just suggesting an possibly, easier alternative, meanwhile, I see no reason to continue this conversation.

BTW, "Old Teller" was my favorite movie when I was maybe 8-10 yo. Haven't thought about it in probably 60 years or so. though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050798/
Yes, stop, you shouldn't have started it in the first place, especially related to an issue that is entirely opinion.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
MOM!!! The chickens are fighting again.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote