Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #1

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 7.3 liter powerstroke
Webasto heater?

I have been looking at these webasto heaters and I am very interested. I was wandering if anybody had any info they would be willing to share. I have a Thomas diesel powered short bus and I live on the coast of Washington were winter temperature gets down to about 20 degrees on the coldest nights. My bus still has all its Windows ( four rows of windows) and still has the original insulation. I would like to be able to run it for about 20 hours before recharging my house batteries and I am not planning to use solar(at least at first) so my house batteries would just have to charge wen the engine is running. I have some questions and hope that some people who are more knowledgeable than me could answer them. How many Btu's do I need? How many amp hours do I need. What kind of maintenance dose this heater require?is there any common problems? How much fuel dose it use? Iknow that its not black and white and that there are many variables that come into play but if i could just get pointed in the right direction that would be great. If anybody can think of any questions i didnt ask and should have please tell me. Any replyys would be greatly appreciate, thanks.
Jpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think the webasto web site can help you with some of the questions.. if you are going with a coolant heater, then I would set up a loop where you can include or exclude the engine coolant loops.. ie if you arent going to be driving the bus for a time, you can heat coolant only circulating inside the bus.. this will help. get the heat where you need..

Joeblack5 uses one to heat his similar short bus nicely.. he swapped to computer fans for one of his heater cores as that reduced the electricity required and noise of the fan to heat his bus (Genius!).

the webasto site can give you the number of gallons per hour of fuel the webasto requires as well as the amps it opulls to operate.

I would also add that to me, a smart move is to pipe it in separately to the fuel tank.. and plasce the fuel pickup of the heater higher than that of the engine fuel.. thus you wont run your nbus out of fuel with the heater, and are much more unlikely to pick up any dirt that could possibly clog the nozzle.. make sure you install a fuel filter in the fuel line for that heater.. thats important towards longevity of it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Almost There

Jpav,

I can help with how many BTUs you need...how long is your bus and what sort of insulation do you have? The more details the better.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote