Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Insulating paint is snake oil.

Like using Reflectix without an airgap, just a waste of time and money.

Better than nothing is too low a bar.

Starlight ?

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
A thin layer of heat shield is not worth the time and space compared to fluffier insulation is what I’m taking from this thread. However I’ve been wondering about a expedition roof to slow down how quickly the roof gets hot by shading the roof and providing a ventilated air gap between the roof and the expedition roof. Solar panels can essentially be a electricity generating expedition roof. I asked my friend who’s smart with energy and money if having water circulating in/under the solar PV panels would make economic and electrical sense and be worthwhile and he said no. But he was thinking of residential systems. Perhaps this combination would be worthwhile in a mobile setting if hot water is needed and space is limited? The cool thing about water is it can be pumped and the heat moved from the roof into a tank. So I’m hoping to test this concept someday. A few hundred feet of PEX under the PV panels with heat transfer plates transferring the heat to the tubing wouldn’t cost much. Freezing and leaking might be a issue
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Shading the outside will always be a fantastic idea.

That is why solar panels fixed on the roof can be counterproductive, if you have the option of parking tucked into a nice canopy of trees.

They also **produce** a heck of a lot of heat underneath, so yes you want good airflow there, not least to reduce the hit on conversion efficiency

There have been both DIY and commercial implementations of water cooling, some making use of the waste heat, but IMO too complex and heavy for a mobile use case.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
re -- efficient insulation
We are looking to move onto a boat permanently.
One boat we investigated is a retired fishing trawler.
The hold for their catch is insulated with 'vacuum panels'.
The key to stopping heat/cold transfer is reducing contact between differing temperature zones.
A vacuum eliminates heat/cold transfer because no medium exists for the transit.
PS:
Although we liked the ship enormously, the fragrance remained with us for days...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Yes my statement that polyiso is greatest Rvalue per inch thickness

is ignoring the more modern and crazy expensive material advances in recent decades.

Besides vacuum panels, there is Cryogel Z / Aerogel

Amazing stuff but crazy pricey for building a consumer fridge/freezer box.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
A thin layer of heat shield is not worth the time and space compared to fluffier insulation is what I’m taking from this thread. However I’ve been wondering about a expedition roof to slow down how quickly the roof gets hot by shading the roof and providing a ventilated air gap between the roof and the expedition roof. Solar panels can essentially be a electricity generating expedition roof. I asked my friend who’s smart with energy and money if having water circulating in/under the solar PV panels would make economic and electrical sense and be worthwhile and he said no. But he was thinking of residential systems. Perhaps this combination would be worthwhile in a mobile setting if hot water is needed and space is limited? The cool thing about water is it can be pumped and the heat moved from the roof into a tank. So I’m hoping to test this concept someday. A few hundred feet of PEX under the PV panels with heat transfer plates transferring the heat to the tubing wouldn’t cost much. Freezing and leaking might be a issue
I'm considering using tent fabric to make a light covering over the back half of my bus. Something that would stand off of the roof and allow air circulation, and cut the direct solar gain.

Could look goofy, but might work well.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I'm considering using tent fabric to make a light covering over the back half of my bus. Something that would stand off of the roof and allow air circulation, and cut the direct solar gain.

You can shade the sides with awnings. I’ve thought that solar panels reduce conductive heat gain by a little bit.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post

I think it's a good idea, like one of those umbrella hats for a bus. I plan on doing the same if I ever end up traveling in the bus regularly and need shade for a stay of just a day or two. For static living I plan to rig up some sun sails suspended from trees or poles, if I can't park in natural shade somewhere.