Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
kids don't ignite or blow up from sparks or impact. they also have a seat frame between them and the wheel well.
That seat frame isn't going to stop a whole lot (no sheet metal there, at least in my seats), and kids legs are still down there right next to the well. If tire blowouts were sending shrapnel through the wheel wells even occasionally, they'd probably be more armored than they are now.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
That seat frame isn't going to stop a whole lot (no sheet metal there, at least in my seats), and kids legs are still down there right next to the well. If tire blowouts were sending shrapnel through the wheel wells even occasionally, they'd probably be more armored than they are now.

Personally, from a real world perspective, I don't think that a school district bus is as likely to have a tire blowout or come apart as you are. They have a much bigger maintenance budget than you and spend a bigger percentage of time below 40 mph, less speed less damage. In addition kids are not as stupid as propane tanks and are much more mobile, when they hear/feel the tire starting to go they may move out of harms way... or not.

From a bean counter designers point of view a few kids getting injured is not the same as a bus blowing up.

At any rate, a steel tube seat frame and padding is more extra protection than your propane tank is going to have. Remember that you don't have to destroy the tank to have a problem, a little hole in any part of the system or hose is enough. If you use tin foil and think that is enough, fine, it is you and yours that will die, probably not me. Tell it to the other people you are putting at risk.

Personally, I think that mounting the tank on the front bumper would be safer than mounting it next to a tire. Just kidding. Surely you can come up with a safer place to mount your propane tank.

I am sure that my view is being distorted by all the mangled sheet metal that I've seen big tires produce. I've never seen a blowout send any shrapnel (except in tire shop explosion YouTube videos). It is more like the Hulk swinging a 50 lb rubber sledge hammer, repeatedly until the hammer falls apart or the head comes off.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Is it possible? I haven’t found anything conclusive about the conversion.

I decided that a BBQ tank that can be swapped at any gas station, convenience store, grocery or hardware store for a fresh one beats all other options in that size range.
You'll pay about 100% more by swapping the tanks out. Typically tank swap around here is $20 (HD/Lowes). A 20lb tank holds 4.7gallons. Propane here right now is trending near $2.10/g. That's $10.00. The nice thing about tank swap is you can swap your crappy old tank for a brand new one.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You'll pay about more by swapping the tanks out. Typically tank swap around here is $20 (HD/Lowes). A 20lb tank holds 7.2gallons. Propane here right now is trending near $2.10/g. That's $15.00. The nice thing about tank swap is you can swap your crappy old tank for a brand new one.

I thought that propane weighed 4 lbs/gal, 20lb = 5 gal?

Sorry, I was wrong, looked it up, it is 4.24 lbs/ gal.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
You'll pay about more by swapping the tanks out. Typically tank swap around here is $20 (HD/Lowes). A 20lb tank holds 7.2gallons. Propane here right now is trending near $2.10/g. That's $15.00. The nice thing about tank swap is you can swap your crappy old tank for a brand new one.

Exactly....there's a bit of a markup for the convenience of not having to pull the bus into a station to get refilled (if you can even find one nearby), but if you only need propane every month or so it's worth the extra few bucks, at least to us.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Exactly....there's a bit of a markup for the convenience of not having to pull the bus into a station to get refilled (if you can even find one nearby), but if you only need propane every month or so it's worth the extra few bucks, at least to us.
My numbers were wrong and I've corrected them. There is a 100% price difference. I would think if you only need it occasionally, it would pay to seek a place that can refill. The swaps are only good IMHO, if you're stuck at odd hours or weekends when supply is closed and fuel is needed.
I have no choice with my 29.3g tank, have to have it filled at a station.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
Quote:
My numbers were wrong and I've corrected them. There is a 100% price difference. I would think if you only need it occasionally, it would pay to seek a place that can refill. The swaps are only good IMHO, if you're stuck at odd hours or weekends when supply is closed and fuel is needed.
I've thought about the RV LP tanks, but haven't seen one mounted.

Is your 29.3g tank mounted on the frame? If so, how does the propane station refill your tank?
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Yeah, it was definitely much cheaper when we had the BBQ tanks refilled vs. swapped out. I could just throw them in the truck and drive them there instead of bringing the bus into town. I'd rather run errands like that in the truck. I don't hate driving the bus or anything, but the fewer trips I need to make through a gas station parking lot in the bus, the better. Especially when we're towing our truck.

Lots of private campgrounds are able to fill rigs, though, so that's always an option if there's no gas station around. Most of them seem to be pretty easy in and out. Your lifestyle dictates how often you need to fill and I could easily see going a season between refills on a bigger tank with less cold-weather usage.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
I've thought about the RV LP tanks, but haven't seen one mounted.

Is your 29.3g tank mounted on the frame? If so, how does the propane station refill your tank?
It is not mounted to the frame, but to the cross ribs of the floor panels. I just pull up to the pump and open the hatch. I have a spare 29.3G tank for sale in the classifieds
Attached Thumbnails
20190328_162248.jpg  
Old 11-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
It is not mounted to the frame, but to the cross ribs of the floor panels. I just pull up to the pump and open the hatch. I have a spare 29.3G tank for sale in the classifieds

Nice setup! I would take you up on the tank, but will not be in Georgia any time soon.

BTW, was the door already on your bus or was adapted from an RV?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I have read that you can buy a new tank and have a welder install the valves etc. In other words, convert a vertical tank to horizontal.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
Nice setup! I would take you up on the tank, but will not be in Georgia any time soon.

BTW, was the door already on your bus or was adapted from an RV?
It was a new locking cargo door for an RV. I had to cut into the side of the bus above the floor to install it. It has a lock, but locking your propane access is illegal. Mounting the door gave me a lot insight into the construction of the bus, mainly noting that the ribs do not attach to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_193654.jpg   20190324_180920.jpg   20190324_204557.jpg   20190326_150705.jpg   20190620_172955.jpg  

Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #33
Almost There

Good info! Thanks for the detail.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They are armored -- 3/4" plywood floor and the seat bottoms are another layer of 3/4" plywood -- that's 1.5" of plywood protecting the vital bits. See what caliber and load you need to put a bullet through that much plywood!
banman is offline   Reply With Quote