Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Will this insulating plan work?

I am getting ready to do some insulating and I was hoping to get some input from folks who've gone before me. I am working on the rear most 12 feet of the bus. I'm thinking about 2 inches of rigid insulating board on the floor. It is too cold right now for me to spray foam so I am thinking about an inch and a half of rigid board on the walls and the ceiling. I am also thinking about taking out three windows on each side of the bus starting just forward of the rearmost window. I would then partition this area off and call it my bedroom. In the spring I will revisit this job and get some foam in the ceiling and the walls. Can I reasonably expect to heat this area with one of the 5 kW diesel forced air heaters?

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

For heating, more on the ceiling less on the floor.

I would not revisit, get a heated space to spray if that's important for you.

A sealed envelope against leakage / drafts / convection losses is just as important as R-value.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
I am getting ready to do some insulating and I was hoping to get some input from folks who've gone before me. I am working on the rear most 12 feet of the bus. I'm thinking about 2 inches of rigid insulating board on the floor. It is too cold right now for me to spray foam so I am thinking about an inch and a half of rigid board on the walls and the ceiling. I am also thinking about taking out three windows on each side of the bus starting just forward of the rearmost window. I would then partition this area off and call it my bedroom. In the spring I will revisit this job and get some foam in the ceiling and the walls. Can I reasonably expect to heat this area with one of the 5 kW diesel forced air heaters?

I think a 5KW diesel air heater may roast you out of a bedroom area like that, so leave a way to vent some of the extra heat. We've been in the teens overnight and it kept the bus in the 50s when it was set on a low-ish setting. That's with heating outside air instead of recirculating the air from inside...not sure how much of a difference that makes, could be significant, I just don't know.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
For heating, more on the ceiling less on the floor.

I would not revisit, get a heated space to spray if that's important for you.

A sealed envelope against leakage / drafts / convection losses is just as important as R-value.
Good point. I should start looking around for someplace where I can bring the bus indoors for the foam job.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote