Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
Would not cover for what? It is documented for what?

I haven't seen anyone credibly saying having a woodstove in the bus means you aren't covered or insurable for vehicular collision.

if the company wont issue you a policy then you are not insured for anything.. these companies that say " we wont insure you" means just that... they wont write a policy.. that pretty much says it right there..

quite a few companies will insure your bus while its still a bus and unconverted but state they dont insure bus conversions.. so eveif you have a policy from one of those companies that you got pre-conversion.. if you crash the bus and make a claim they will see the bus is converted and state that you were not covered due to conversion... ..

pretty simple stuff it seems to me...

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if the company wont issue you a policy then you are not insured for anything.. these companies that say " we wont insure you" means just that... they wont write a policy.. that pretty much says it right there..

quite a few companies will insure your bus while its still a bus and unconverted but state they dont insure bus conversions.. so eveif you have a policy from one of those companies that you got pre-conversion.. if you crash the bus and make a claim they will see the bus is converted and state that you were not covered due to conversion... ..

pretty simple stuff it seems to me...

And to have your point you need to prove they will not write a vehicular collision policy because there's a woodstove on board. All prior comments are apparently assuming a policy for contents with respect to fire hazard -- a very different thing from a vehicular collision liability.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
And to have your point you need to prove they will not write a vehicular collision policy because there's a woodstove on board. All prior comments are apparently assuming a policy for contents with respect to fire hazard -- a very different thing from a vehicular collision liability.

the posts in other threads on the board prove it.. these companies flat out wont write policies whe na wood stove is on board.. or a roof deck and in sime cases roof raises as well are prohibited.. like I keep trying to say.. no policy means no policy.. the deny based on those items above which means you dont have vehicle liability either..

obviously there are some companies which do write insurance for skoolies with wood stoves and roof raises however many dont..

so my advice rather than trying to waste so damn much effort debunking every word i say.. get on the damn phone and go get you a vehicle liability policy.. after reading their rules for the type of vehicle you are converting and honestly answering any questions they pose... seems like time much better spent..

yes im passionate about it.. ive had 2 vehicles destroyed by deadbeats who were not properly insured.. one of them was an illegal so he just skipped.. the other one I darn sure did go after
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the posts in other threads on the board prove it.. these companies flat out wont write policies whe na wood stove is on board.. or a roof deck and in sime cases roof raises as well are prohibited.. like I keep trying to say.. no policy means no policy.. the deny based on those items above which means you dont have vehicle liability either..

obviously there are some companies which do write insurance for skoolies with wood stoves and roof raises however many dont..

so my advice rather than trying to waste so damn much effort debunking every word i say.. get on the damn phone and go get you a vehicle liability policy.. after reading their rules for the type of vehicle you are converting and honestly answering any questions they pose... seems like time much better spent..

yes im passionate about it.. ive had 2 vehicles destroyed by deadbeats who were not properly insured.. one of them was an illegal so he just skipped.. the other one I darn sure did go after

No, the prior posts are in no way differentiating between vehicular collision liability policies and housing/fire contents policies.

I can't care what you are passionate about when you can't prove your point.

When you say the insurance companies flat won't write a policy, what policy were they trying to get?
Old 11-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
CaddilacKid is correct. This is of course based on my limited knowledge, but if you don’t believe this, start calling insurance companies that will insure a skoolie and ask them.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
CaddilacKid is correct. This is of course based on my limited knowledge, but if you don’t believe this, start calling insurance companies that will insure a skoolie and ask them.

As of my inquiry in May, Allstate will write a vehicular collision only policy for a roof raised skoolie with a woodstove -- just not comprehensive for a full time live aboard with those.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Practice what you Preach

Quote:
As of my inquiry in May, Allstate will write a vehicular collision only policy for a roof raised skoolie with a woodstove -- just not comprehensive for a full time live aboard with those.
I don't know what is true, but CK is diligent and detail oriented in all he does. I'd never doubt his insight.

Allstate's product, "Collision Only" policy, is this salesman hearsay or do you have that in writing? Maybe on Allstate letterhead?

Just do as you ask of others and simply prove it. Please, post a picture of the document or a screenshot of the pdf, email, etc.

The truth shall set you free.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Hearsay or do you have that in writing? Maybe on Allstate letterhead? Just do as you ask of others and simply prove it.

Please, post a picture of the document or a screenshot of the pdf, email, etc.

The truth shall set you free.

No, I do not have that in writing. Of course, no one else here is claiming they've asked about a collision liability policy either but one -- and they say they got it. I don't believe they said whom from.

And no, the FUDsters here are making the extraordinary claim you can not get a collision only policy because of a roof raise or woodstove. It's usually the people making extraordinary claims that need to prove it.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Florida law doesn't even allow a Collision Only product. We have a minimum requirement of Liability & Personal Injury Protection.
Collision & Comprehensive are optional. What would a Collision Only policy cover? Just metal, glass, etc? Policy holder's property only, or multi-vehicle collision? But not a ladder falling off the truck or an emergency brake failing while parked...
Old 11-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Florida law doesn't even allow a Collision Only product. We have a minimum requirement of Liability & Personal Injury Protection.
Collision & Comprehensive are optional. What would a Collision Only policy cover? Just metal, glass, etc? Policy holder's property only, or multi-vehicle collision? But not a ladder falling off the truck or an emergency brake failing while parked...

Well the you maybe have something to say about FL.

" What would a Collision Only policy cover? " <-- You operating the vehicle and being at fault for damage from a collision.

Duh!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well the you maybe have something to say about FL.

" What would a Collision Only policy cover? " <-- You operating the vehicle and being at fault for damage from a collision.

Duh!

No bodily injury? No liability? Sounds too good to be true.
In what state does Allstate sell that "Collision Only" product?
Old 11-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
No bodily injury? No liability? Sounds too good to be true.
In what state does Allstate sell that "Collision Only" product?

If you're going to pretend damage to someone else is not damage, I think my point is proved.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

I believe we have provided the witnesses (our peers) with all of the proof they need to determine the accuracy of your testimony. Thank you for describing your level of expertise on the subject. We appreciate your honesty.

Do we have a 220 or 440?
Old 11-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Now if you converted it to an oil burner would it be covered?
Old 11-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
I believe we have provided the witnesses (our peers) with all of the proof they need to determine the accuracy of your testimony. Thank you for describing your level of expertise on the subject. We appreciate your honesty.

Do we have 220 or 440?

You have squat.

Except FUD. You have a lot of that.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Now if you converted it to an oil burner would it be covered?

Apparently propane would make it AOK ?

Old 11-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Sinner: Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I installed a wood stove in my bus. Father: Just go and convert it to LPG and all will be forgiven my son.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Jay...is it Jay? Nice video and nice job on the stove mod. I'm jealous that you were able to snag that from the town dump. Our landfill won't allow any removal of things, even though there are always cool treasures in the metal section...even with an offer to pay/buy the metal. Bummer...but good for you!

Anyway, you ended up with a great little stove.

As to the insurance thing - I wouldn't say that the forum's filled with lawyers now. But in the past few years, it seems insurance companies have started specifically asking about wood stoves. I cannot speak to Allstate, but we've used Progressive and Farm Bureau and National General. We have liability-only policies. All 3 asked if we had either a wood stove or a rooftop deck and said they couldn't write a policy...even liability...with either of those things. The deck, I understand. The stove, not so much...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
All prior comments are apparently assuming a policy for contents with respect to fire hazard -- a very different thing from a vehicular collision liability.
LOL none of the prior comments are saying, much less assuming that.

Good luck even finding such a policy, may as well be a unicorn.

&gt; There is no increase to the odds of a vehicular accident because there is a wood stove in the vehicle

That is not relevant to anything being discussed!

In the event of a major claim, millions in liability, no matter the cause, who is wrong, nothing to do with any fire or the stove itself

the relevant fact is

** if the stove had been declared there would be no policy written**

which in turn means,

withholding that fact is **purposefully misrepresenting material information that changes their overall assessment of risk**

Giving the company the opportunity to deny the payout based on that intentional bad faith, even fraud by the customer,

in some jurisdictions, they can legally just act as if you never had a policy, maybe have to refund your premiums back to day one

but can in the end walk away from any payout on the disaster.

Now, maybe a judge will find, they DO have to pay out.

But the ball is in your court to pay for lawyers to bring the claim before that judge. Maybe you get lucky and the equivalent of an insurance ombudsman exists within the insurance commission

and rules in your favour, that depends on the state that has jurisdiction.

&gt; And to have your point you need to prove they will not write a vehicular collision policy because there's a woodstove on board.

No need to "prove" anything, that is indeed a well known fact, they will not write any kind of policy at all. Just call your agent, or the underwriting department, tell them you have a woodstove and see what they say!

Even better, ask a litigation / insurance experienced lawyer their opinion, answered fast enough would likely be included in the free first consultation even over the phone.

And furthermore, no one is trying to say any of the above bad things actually did happen, or definitely will happen

only that they **could** happen

and anyone relying on luck that they definitely won't happen, is on shakier ground than most of us would be willing to accept.

Obviously you scofflaw can cross your fingers and roll the dice

but the more risk averse can tell you you are foolish and irresponsible.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone credibly saying having a woodstove in the bus means you aren't covered or insurable for vehicular collision.
All that says is, you don't want to hear it, and therefore will bury your head in the sand and refuse to believe it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote