Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Wood Stove Project

It's been a while since I logged in, here's a project I did last year:

I've yet to install it in the bus, hoping to get to that this winter.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Have you considered insurance issues?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Have you considered insurance issues?

I don't carry anything but liability insurance. I figure I only have about $10-12K into this project (not counting labor!) so I'll assume the risk myself and just make sure I don't burn it down!
Old 10-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonslatt View Post
I don't carry anything but liability insurance. I figure I only have about $10-12K into this project (not counting labor!) so I'll assume the risk myself and just make sure I don't burn it down!
If your insurance finds out that’s installed in your ride they will cancel your policy
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
If your insurance finds out that’s installed in your ride they will cancel your policy

Again, I don't have a policy that covers my bus, only what it does if I slam it into something or someone. There is no policy for them to cancel.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Your liability insurance covers people too.

I only know this restriction from talking with NG/Good Sam.

From what I’ve heard, once they cancel your policy you aren’t getting it back, so it’s good to know what you can and cannot do.

Just an FYI. Carry on…
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Again, I don't have a policy that covers my bus, only what it does if I slam it into something or someone. There is no policy for them to cancel.
When you do slam into something or someone, you'll find the results coming out of your pocket and not your policy.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
That stove is probably small and light enough that you could make a removable installation and that the stove and chimney could be stowed down below while traveling.

With the stove pipe exiting through a blank that fits a window opening, and replacing it with a window when on the move, who's going to know?

Great job, by the way.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Again, I don't have a policy that covers my bus, only what it does if I slam it into something or someone.
Liability coverage pays for damage caused by your vehicle, including if it catches fire (for whatever reason) and damages or destroys nearby vehicles, buildings or people, even when you're not driving it or even in it. I mention the catching fire thing because that's exactly why insurance companies will not allow wood stoves.

Quote:
There is no policy for them to cancel.
If there's no policy then you don't have liability insurance. If you do have liability insurance then there is a policy for them to cancel.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:20 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
That stove is probably small and light enough that you could make a removable installation and that the stove and chimney could be stowed down below while traveling.

With the stove pipe exiting through a blank that fits a window opening, and replacing it with a window when on the move, who's going to know?
It's possible that the insurance company claim investigator would not know a stealth wood stove like this was ever present when investigating an accident that was not caused by the stove - unless the owner had publicly posted about it on social media or Youtube, of course. If the accident was actually caused by the stove, it will be obvious to the investigator and the claim will be denied.

If a policy does not contain explicit language disallowing a wood stove, the language stating that "undisclosed risk" is grounds for annulment of the policy will suffice for them.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When you do slam into something or someone, you'll find the results coming out of your pocket and not your policy.

Are you stating a liability only policy is voided because you have an uninvolved wood stove in the bus, and you have a vehicular accident?

Because I think he's counting of losing the value of bus and contents in a fire.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post

Great job, by the way.
I've thought about this. Wondering if anyone's actually done this and has advice.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
Are you stating a liability only policy is voided because you have an uninvolved wood stove in the bus, and you have a vehicular accident?
It certainly gives the insurance company a way out to deny any claim.

If the amount is not high they can of course choose to pay.

But if the claim is in the millions, odds are higher they won't.

A customer who committed fraud in applying by not revealing such a high risk detail, may well lose the case

and in the meantime would likely have to pay their lawyers up front rather than finding one willing to work on contingency.

> Because I think he's counting of losing the value of bus and contents in a fire.

I do not understand what your intended meaning is.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Take a look at this:
If I remember right they don't want solid fuel stoves, wood or coal.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Liability coverage pays for damage caused by your vehicle, including if it catches fire (for whatever reason) and damages or destroys nearby vehicles, buildings or people, even when you're not driving it or even in it. I mention the catching fire thing because that's exactly why insurance companies will not allow wood stoves.

If there's no policy then you don't have liability insurance. If you do have liability insurance then there is a policy for them to cancel.

When I say there's no policy I mean there is no policy that applies to what's in my bus, just to the outside, the "vehicle" part. If I wanted collision or fire and theft insurance then I'm sure the insurance company would have something to say, they would want an inspection and appraisal. But otherwise they do not care.

I've had my bus for 17 years and I have absolutely no worries about installing and operating this stove in it!
Old 10-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Because I think he's counting of losing the value of bus and contents in a fire.
should read

Because I think he's counting on losing the value of bus and contents in a fire.

I see no excuse for an insurance company to claim fraud if a wood stove was not disclosed, unless a claim was made from an instance of liability arising from a wood stove being present int he bus.

What does the woodstove have to do with a vehicular collision?
Old 10-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #17
Bus Geek

F around and find out.

Not talking about the common-sense "should" ethics etc

nor even about the legal outcome if you had good lawyers to fight the claim denial.

My point is, in the event of human casualties, a claim in the millions

the insurance company might use it as an escape

leaving the ball in your court to fight them.

Each of us weigh up the pro's and cons, I'm just offering a factor to consider.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Because I think he's counting on losing the value of bus and contents in a fire
Yes, but do you mean

you think OP is going to do so intentionally?

Maybe rephrase?
Old 10-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:

I'm pretty sure there is langauge in most insurance contracts, and most contracts in general that gives them a legitimate/legal out in cases of fraud or explicit misrepresentation.

Now just not disclosing it, or claiming ignorance, may be a grey area. But if the Insurance company outright states wood stoves are not allowed, and especially if they ask you explicitly whether you have a wood stove installed, I think that that would probably be grounds for cancellation at the least and possibly refusal to cover a claim regardless of if the woodstove were involved. At least I could imagine them trying it, and having some amount of legal ground to stand on. But I do think probably there is a distinction between explicit misrepresentation/fraud and just not mentioning anything but not bending the truth. At the very least I would go over your agreement with a fine toothed comb or consult a lawyer.

I have no expertise in this area, beyond enough bad experiences with insurance adjusters to be very very wary and cautious. The average Joe or Jane is at a large power and information disadvantage when it comes to dealing with the backend of insurance companies.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, but do you mean

you think OP is going to do so intentionally?

Maybe rephrase?

Intentionally? No, internationally not. He says outright

He's being very clear he does not have insurance with regard to the woodstove or what may eventuate from it, and will make no claims relating to it.

I do not understand the people who presume you can not insure a vehicle with a woodstove in it purely as a vehicle, or the people apparently not getting insuring his bus as a vehicle is all he is interested in doing.