Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Wood Stove/Tankless Water Heater Flue

Do you guys see a problem with attaching the vent pipe from an Eccotemp tankless water heater to the wood stove flue?

KenandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Besides the uncertainty of proper flow, which could lead to CO poisoning, the exhaust of your tankless heater will contain a fair bit of water vapor (moisture) as a product of the combustion. All vented tankless water heaters I've seen or installed require that the vent pipe have a downward slope at the exit, so that moisture condensation will flow out of the structure. If you try to vent into the wood stove flue, that moisture will most likely run down into the stove.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Besides the uncertainty of proper flow, which could lead to CO poisoning, the exhaust of your tankless heater will contain a fair bit of water vapor (moisture) as a product of the combustion. All vented tankless water heaters I've seen or installed require that the vent pipe have a downward slope at the exit, so that moisture condensation will flow out of the structure. If you try to vent into the wood stove flue, that moisture will most likely run down into the stove.
Makes sense. Thanks
KenandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Agreed.

And, I think these instant heaters have a positive fan for the exhaust. I could be wrong on some models but mine does and it wouldn't play well at all with a naturally convected flue.

Separate vent would be best.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote