Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone using unlimitedville.com

I realize that they’re pricey at $199/month but if one needs reliable high speed connectivity for work…

Thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

Jeff2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Now that starlink has gone RV, I’ve been using that and a cell booster with great success.

Starlink alone has been problematic due to poor upload speeds (around 1-5mbps usually). I have a 5g connection that is bonded to the starlink and creates typical speeds somewhere between 45 - 65 mbps down and 10-30 mbps up. I work as a data engineer and take lots of zoom calls, as well as download/publish large datasets and it seems to be working well for me.
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford Startrans Shuttlebus
Engine: Ford V10 gas
I am considering that option too. I am on Zoom calls for work, all day, and it is critical that they be stable. Sometimes I am using an interactive tool (not, but like a game) at the same time. My concern is connectivity when I’m off in the boonies with little or no cellphone service. On the Starlink map, pretty much everywhere I go I would be waitlisted, receiving lower priority service. Do you have experience with that situation, jjaj823? How has it worked out for you?
Flowergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergarden View Post
I am considering that option too. I am on Zoom calls for work, all day, and it is critical that they be stable. Sometimes I am using an interactive tool (not, but like a game) at the same time. My concern is connectivity when I’m off in the boonies with little or no cellphone service. On the Starlink map, pretty much everywhere I go I would be waitlisted, receiving lower priority service. Do you have experience with that situation, jjaj823? How has it worked out for you?

My experience is similar, but not exactly the same, so I’ll lay out my issues and experiences as well as solutions I’ve tried.

First, in terms of starlink service, I have found download speeds in “waitlisted” areas to still be highly acceptable…I’ve been in waitlisted areas almost exclusively so far but still see average speeds in the 40 - 70 mbps range. But, upload speeds are pretty bad, usually in the 5 - 7 mbps range. Which makes emailing spreadsheets painful most of the time.

In terms of deprioritization, I haven’t found that to be a deal breaker. That period is from 5pm - 10pm local time, and during those periods, I have been able to stream to 1 or 2 devices while my son plays Xbox. Speed range is probably 20-30 mbps for download, and probably < 5 for uploads. Those are just guesses since I haven’t actually remembered to speed test everything during that time.

My biggest issue with Zoom calls is that they typically have 3 components: video, audio, and sharing. Typically, I can get reliable calls with 2 out of 3, but have not had much luck when trying to do video, audio, and share my screen. Typically, I will do video and sharing via starlink and simply call into the Zoom using my cell phone not on the network.

I can already hear the next question…”but what about areas of poor cell service?”

Glad you asked… 🙂

In order to account for that, I purchased a cheap cell signal booster from Amazon…I paid less than $100 for it. It hasn’t failed me yet! In fact, I was parked at a relatives which is located in a valley and cell signal is non-existent. Having the booster pointed in the general direction of the closest tower resulted in a jump from no service to 4 bars and the ability to make calls and use mobile data. Not bad for a cheap off brand. I have a tethered device that I have unlimited 4g data on to backup the starlink or use when driving.

The final hardware I use is an outdoor access point used in WISP mode…basically instead of rebroadcasting a connected WiFi signal, it allows me to access the wifi signal via wifi connected directly to my router.

The next question will no doubt be “but how does that help? If one drops, you still have to switch over?”

That is absolutely correct! In my case, I use a service called Speedify which allows me to bond all of those connections together. Essentially, the service distributes the load amongst them all and means I don’t lose internet unless all of my connections have dropped. Is it perfect? No…but for me, the trade offs are worth it. It costs about the same as a monthly VPN subscription and even includes VPN functionality.

Since I have done this, I really haven’t had any issues with working. Overall, about $1,000 spent in terms of hardware, including mount. Not cheap, but as someone who lives and dies by the internet, we’ll worth it. I’ve been using it for about 2 months so far.

Speaking of hardware mounting, everything is mounted on a harbor freight collapsible flagpole that I place in a flagpole hitch mount. It is a little top heavy for my liking, but I made some stabilizers that magnet to the back and they have survived sustained 10-15 mph winds and gusts to 30 without a problem.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured more detail was better here. Let me know if you need any further clarification, and I’ll see what I can do!

-JJ
Old 09-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford Startrans Shuttlebus
Engine: Ford V10 gas
This detailed a response is super helpful, and saves us both a lot of back and forth. I really appreciate it. I think I will look for the same devices you purchased since you’ve been happy with them. Do you happen to have the Amazon link for the signal booster you use? I only travel in my bus, and don’t currently live on it (although I plan to at some point) and so money is something of a factor. That said, I’ll be leaving soon on a month long trip and need to work while traveling. At least now I know that I will have a reasonable shot at being able to maintain decent connectivity. Thank you.
Flowergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
Skoolie

The cell booster I bought is here: https://a.co/d/iRrf9bO - looks like the price went up about $10...its $109 now.

This is the wifi gizmo: https://a.co/d/2432OTL.

I also modified the cables and my bus so that I don't have 300' of cable strung through windows and such...I used weatherproof CAT6 for the starlink and WiFi cables and just a standard RV coax cable through-hull for the cell booster.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
Now that starlink has gone RV, I’ve been using that and a cell booster with great success.

Starlink alone has been problematic due to poor upload speeds (around 1-5mbps usually). I have a 5g connection that is bonded to the starlink and creates typical speeds somewhere between 45 - 65 mbps down and 10-30 mbps up. I work as a data engineer and take lots of zoom calls, as well as download/publish large datasets and it seems to be working well for me.
Hello, I am getting Starlink soon. And working takrning calls. I was hoping you could tell me more about a cell phone booster? I'm not very tech savvy at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated �� �� Thank you.
MikiStv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiStv8 View Post
I was hoping you could tell me more about a cell phone booster?
Without getting too technical, cell signal booster basically senses a signal from a tower and increases it within a small area. For example, I get maybe one single bar of LTE signal on T-Mobile at my in-laws farm in the middle of nowhere. By pointing the signal booster at the tower, I increase that to around 4 bars...enough where i can stream HD and make/receive phone calls.

Note, that there are 2 different types of cell booster you can get. One, called an omnidirectional, means that you don't have to point the antenna to get it to work...you just mount it somewhere above your chassis and it does its thing. The signal boost is typically lower with these things than with directional antennas, however you don't have to go through the hassle of setting it up everytime you move.

The other is a directional...you have to physically point it in the direction of a tower for it to work. Generally, the you will see better signal increases from a directional antenna, but the tradeoff isa that you have to set it up and orient it at each stop, which can be a PITA if you are moving often.

In either case, the antenna will be connected to an interior amplifier that looks a bit like a wifi router. You do need to pay attention to the mounting location, but the instructions with your unit should cover what you need to look out for.

Many folks utilize the WeBoost brand boosters...the reviews tend to indicate they work, but so does the off-brand I got for 25% of the price. YMMV.

I could talk for days about gain and the benefits of directional vs. omni, but was trying to keep this as non-geeky as possible!

Hope that helps some!

- Jeremy