Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Backup camera...

I'm thinking about buying one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/DC12V-24V-Wat...5%3A2470955011

I'm not sure if it comes with a display or not. Product description mentions a "monitor" but it isn't in any of the photos. So, assuming it does NOT, I'm gointo add a display. To that end I need to know what size to get. I'm thinking about sticking it on the rear view mirror that's used for looking at the snot-lickers. Does anyone have one of the 3 foot long ones handy to measure? I want the dispaly to be the same height as the mirror. 4.3", 5" or 7". Since the display will take two video signals, I mgith even get a second camera and point it down the passenger side of the bus. Keep an eye on the curbs at night.

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Backli...p+display+7%22

So, how tall is your mirror?

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I bought a nice stereo and speakers for my bus this past summer. The stereo also has GPS, dvd and a backup camera. I didn't want a backup camera but it came with the package.

To make a long story short, the backup camera is just about useless in my opinion. Narrow field of view and nearly impossible depth perception. It would be really nice for backing up to a trailer while hitching up, or possibly valuable if you had to back up three miles on a narrow road. Even with the camera on I always ended up using the mirrors. For me the backup camera just wasn't practical and nearly caused me to damage the rear end of the bus by almost backing into objects I couldn't see in the camera display.

My camera came with the stereo package, but I didn't have to have it installed. If I had it to do over again I'd have one less hole in the skin of this bus.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I bought a nice stereo and speakers for my bus this past summer. The stereo also has GPS, dvd and a backup camera. I didn't want a backup camera but it came with the package.

To make a long story short, the backup camera is just about useless in my opinion. Narrow field of view and nearly impossible depth perception. It would be really nice for backing up to a trailer while hitching up, or possibly valuable if you had to back up three miles on a narrow road. Even with the camera on I always ended up using the mirrors. For me the backup camera just wasn't practical and nearly caused me to damage the rear end of the bus by almost backing into objects I couldn't see in the camera display.

My camera came with the stereo package, but I didn't have to have it installed. If I had it to do over again I'd have one less hole in the skin of this bus.
The camera is supposed to have a 120° angle of view. A buddy has one of the little license plate jobs. Aside from his video ALWAYS being upside down it works pretty good. No, flipping the camera doesn't work.

Anywho, this camera has more lights than his. I'll mount it near the top of the bus which can only improve the angel of view. Honestly I'm only getting it for backing up at night. I had no problem backing it into my parking spot at the storage lot. I wouldn't have had to get out and check the distance to the fence (I'm hoping). His has markers for distance.

Total price is $75. If it sucks, it gets returned.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
I've been using these thres items. Just drilled a hole in the center of my back bumper and inserted the camera, can hardly see it's there. I have it set to be on all the time, not just in reverse. The camera also has the option for distance markers by cutting a small wire on the camera to turn it on. So far for the past year it's been working great. Video quality sometimes could be a little better but overall not bad. I'm guessing the quality is a little lacking due to the 50ft of cable the video signal has to go through. Overall not bad for around $50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BE...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0188...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
nwarner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

You do eventually get used to the depth perception on a backup camera. I even got an upgraded camera thrown in, with the guide markers and night lights. My camera is mounted just above the back door. It is nice to be able to put on the backup camera to watch the idiots that ride your bumper thinking it improves their mileage by one or two miles per gallon. They should probably choose an interstate vehicle instead of a bus.
Mostly I don't care if that rice burner hits my back bumper.

I do like that I can play blueray movies on this stereo, or even pipe them to my TV. The GPS is the winner, winner, chicken dinner. It's excellent.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It is nice to be able to put on the backup camera to watch the idiots that ride your bumper thinking it improves their mileage by one or two miles per gallon. They should probably choose an interstate vehicle instead of a bus.
Improves far more than that. Tho to your point my first choice is a couch bus. they are the lowest to the ground and do +70mph. If they are going too fast >75mph , my second choice is a semi with the side skirts. After that it's a toss up between skoolies, tanker trailers, box trucks, etc.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Aside good brakes I consider my rear facing camera to be my A#1 safety device. It operates any time the engine is running and fills in the dead spots the side view mirrors miss. Mine didn't come with the marker feature so I simply went to a parking lot, set my toad in various known (measured) positions and marked what I saw on the screen with a sharpie. Checking the rear camera view along with making sure the slide is in, the pop top is down and the regular mirrors are extended is part of my pre flight check list every time I move my bus.

I know the cameras don't make much of a fashion statement but then neither do the seat belts we all now pretty much rely on. Without either a human spotter or the camera I wouldn't consider backing in an area where the public might be--too much to lose.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Good point Jack. There is a blind spot using just the mirrors.

The bus bard disabled my backup alarm but I'd like to put that back together. It gets important to park where I don't have to back up while in town.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Bus Nut

To Robins point about the "drafting" guys behind you. That sounds like a good reason to install a switch to relieve your bus of gray water (OR WORSE). Sorta like drafting a big rig hauling cattle.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
Bus Geek

That's better than trying to squirt them with the windshield washers.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
To Robins point about the "drafting" guys behind you. That sounds like a good reason to install a switch to relieve your bus of gray water (OR WORSE). Sorta like drafting a big rig hauling cattle.
If they tried drafting me on my trip home, they would have gotten an oily mess on the windshield. Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
Bus Geek

A switch to "relieve your bus." I like that.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Yea I've been wanting to mount a tank & put the old oil from my diesel in there with a pump, spray the windshield down.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Yea I've been wanting to mount a tank & put the old oil from my diesel in there with a pump, spray the windshield down.
That's easy... Just blow the front main seal 😂😂😂
Although I don't recommend it for your sanity!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post

Don't want to waste the fresh stuff plus just won't be thick & stinky enough
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Don't want to waste the fresh stuff plus just won't be thick & stinky enough
I agree, that's why I am replacing the seal asap 😂

Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:

Off topic but Is that why your bus has oil up the back? Mine does this too but not as bad as the pic you posted. I should probably take a closer look at it.

NVM. Just saw your response
Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwarner2010 View Post
Off topic but Is that why your bus has oil up the back? Mine does this too but not as bad as the pic you posted. I should probably take a closer look at it.

NVM. Just saw your response
Yeah. It started leaking about 100 miles out. I planned a stop every 50 miles for the fist 200 to check fluids and such and make sure nothing was leaking. Nothing at the 50 mile mark, then at 100 it was leaking a little, at 150 it was leaking a lot. About 2 quarts for every 100 miles.
Judging by where the oil is coming from and the way it is flung across the timing cover (actually the rear of my engine) a mechanic friend is 99% sure it's the front crank seal.
What motor do you have?
Here is a pic of it in all its leaky glory

Old 04-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah. It started leaking about 100 miles out. I planned a stop every 50 miles for the fist 200 to check fluids and such and make sure nothing was leaking. Nothing at the 50 mile mark, then at 100 it was leaking a little, at 150 it was leaking a lot. About 2 quarts for every 100 miles.
Judging by where the oil is coming from and the way it is flung across the timing cover (actually the rear of my engine) a mechanic friend is 99% sure it's the front crank seal.
What motor do you have?
Here is a pic of it in all its leaky glory

Sent you pm, didn't want to derail the OPs thread too much.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Hey, that's another good use for a backup camera. Put it in the engine compartment.

See, back on track just that easy.