Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Best Internet?

My wife and I our buying our first Skoolie tomorrow. We will be using it to travel around the United States.

We want to be able to watch Netflix, Amazon Fire stick, etc. She also works through her computer on an auto dialer.

My question is who offer the best UNLIMITED wireless internet for medium to heavy use.

TheHappyHoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
My experience in the west, off the beaten path, is that Verizon and a good amplifier/external antenna is the best (and often only) option. Living/Working from cellular data will require some changes to your routine/habits. It would be nice to carry around a 250Mb, unlimited data connection but... sadly... it doesn't exist in this scenario.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466
Yeah...Verizon's "Unlimited" isn't really unlimited...they'll throttle hotspot data after 15GB. Which isn't a lot when you're watching movies on a bigger screen (it's a little better on a laptop or iPad). Overall, data gets "Prioritized" after 22GB.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres been a few threads on this.. its getting a bit easier with more providers offering reasonable highline or unlimited data plans..

My life is the internet.. I build Cloud-based Telecom systems..
I carry a Verizon, an AT&T, and a T-mobile Hotspot.. I dont full time in my bus but I travel all over the place and with those three im never without internet and I never go over my data caps.. if im out and about and need to transfer large files, i hit a wi-fi spot like starbucks or a mall..

yes its a bit pricey but since I own the business i can expense the cost of them.. which means at least im paying for them with pre-tax money.. that equals a bit of a "discount".. if your wife is a contractor on her auto-dialer she may be able to expense them.. also you need a decent quality connection to do VoIP over a cellular hotspot.. and some providers block the SIP protocol{used for Voice over IP applications} (verizon!) so depending on how her VoIP app works for the auto-dialer make sure before you sign a contract or buy a device that hewr app works through it...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
Yeah...Verizon's "Unlimited" isn't really unlimited...
Agreed and thus my comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Living/Working from cellular data will require some changes to your routine/habits. It would be nice to carry around a 250Mb, unlimited data connection but... sadly... it doesn't exist in this scenario.
From my experience, it is impossible to enjoy the finest boondocking spots in the west (the only area with which I have experience) AND expect fast (100Mb or more) and large quantities of Internet data at a price that I suspect most of us consider to be reasonable/possible. External antennae and amplifiers help a great deal but there are limits. Sitting around on a rainy day watching streaming movies all day is one of those routines/habits that will likely need to change. I suspect satellite data will be a viable reality before too awful long but it doesn't seem to be here yet (at an affordable price point (for either equipment and/or data)).

All that said, as someone that requires the Internet for my day job, I have been amazed at what is currently available at a very reasonable price. Some argue that the price is high. I think it is reasonable when it allows me to stay at and work from some amazing places.

Sitting at my computer looking out the window - one of the places I mentioned above.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

Thank you for all the replies. I use to have both ATT and a Nextel USB drive that offered internet. It was unlimited and I never had any issues using it in most places. I was just trying to get some feedback as to what people had success with around the country. I have a contract to use any Spectrum and Comcast hotspots in the country but I will most likely get a couole different carriers as backuo for when we just want to be away.

As always thanks for the wonderful feedback and responses and if anyone ever needs a hand with mechanical or carpentry. I have been a mechanic for almost 2o yrs
TheHappyHoopers is offline   Reply With Quote