Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Understand the sentiment, but Window's new approach to app execution / sandboxing is a big improvement in stability and security. At least now when a store app fails it dies alone without taking the whole system down with it. No more dll versioning nightmares.
There are at least 2 mainstream desktop app platforms for Linux with full separation both for runtime resources and sandboxing. Snap and FlatPak. In typical open source style, they are likely to both exist for a very long time before a "winner" is declared (if ever). Both also have official repository sites where you can get apps, and are pretty easy to package your own.

https://snapcraft.io/store

https://flathub.org/home

Ubuntu (primary sponsor of Snap) has started using Snap packages to replace legacy ones automatically.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Bus Nut

I hate Windows 10.

I have a small Thinkpad X140e I use for travel and IT service calls, it is small and has a durable case so it works well in small server rooms and cramped spaces. It was one of the last one to come out with Windows 7. I partitioned the hard drive and run Ubuntu on the other half. I guess if Windows 7 dies I will run Ubuntu on it.

I do like Linux and the flavors of it, but for my full time job Linux is just not practical. So I run Windows10 on my main work machines. Hate it.

I have tried to kill Cortana she is still somewhere in the background listening.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
There are at least 2 mainstream desktop app platforms for Linux with full separation both for runtime resources and sandboxing. Snap and FlatPak. In typical open source style, they are likely to both exist for a very long time before a "winner" is declared (if ever). Both also have official repository sites where you can get apps, and are pretty easy to package your own.

https://snapcraft.io/store

https://flathub.org/home

Ubuntu (primary sponsor of Snap) has started using Snap packages to replace legacy ones automatically.

Interesting. I appreciate the info!
To be clear, I was not comparing W10's app execution environment to anything other than previous versions of windows.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
I hate Windows 10.
I have tried to kill Cortana she is still somewhere in the background listening.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

I bought a used Dell of recent vintage (appeared to be about 90 days old when I got it, from the s/n and the support tech's comments). Stripped out Win 10 straightaway and put CentOS on it. I think I'm going to go back to Ubuntu; I've had too many evenings where I've wrestled with this thing. Ubuntu works, and sysadmining is not one of my favored hobbies.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
In the last10 os i previously linked to you don't hear a word from her and you will love the default "password". Now keep in mind I only installed win 10 to get bluefire because you can not get on win 7.
syntaxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:11 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I've never really had a problem with windows 10. I come from a strong computer/programming background through and can usually make it do what I want. Just have to get it all set up right.
neversayneverbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I have W10 and hate it. I like Apples approach to building on top of a Unix kernel. A lot! Just wish it were hardware agnostic.
I used Windows for 15 years and then switched to MacOS because I had to for work (I started programming for iOS devices and you can only do that on a mac, natively anyway). I hate MacOS and Windows equally.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love OSX, and used to love the MAC hardware.. but the latest mac hardware is rubbish.. my windows asus laptop has much better hardware than my 2016 Macbook pro.. it used to be wirth the porice to buy a real MAC for tyhe OSX sand for the fact the hardware was rugged, backed-well by apple and going to last and fast..

im a laptop warrior.. I am a City Hiker (meaning I walk many miles per day in downtowns of cities (yes i know opposite of the skoolie ways of wilderness-loving).. my Macbook in my messenger bag or backpack.. my current machine has imprints of the keyboard permanently etched into the supposed gorilla-glass screen.. my keyboard has died 3 times in 3 years, all 4 of my USB-C ports are so loose the cables barely stay in anymore... in effect the hardware in this machine is worse than a Cheap Acer all-in-one that can be bought off of amazon.. unfortiunately i must interface to the corporate world to do my Linux-server and customer UI development as well as communicate with customers.. so i need to use real genuine microsoft office products, eliminating linux as a primary desktop OS for me (even though I spend 60 hours a week or more developing in Linux)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #30
Skoolie

I guess I am spoiled as I have been using a tweeked os in one form or another since xp "winborg xp" and have gotten used them. My objective was to get bluefire to toy with it while I wait to get the interface to run it. Now that I have it my next question is what is the better software bluefire or silverleaf ? Do you have to purchase the interface from silverleaf or will another one work?
thanks Joe
Old 01-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #31
Bus Geek

silverleaf software SUCKS in my opinion.. well at least the VMSpc im using does.. its reliable but the eye factor is crappy.. they dont have a nice set of graphical gauges like Bluefire does.. SIlverleaf is old.. i use it only because it was what was available at the time. but im looking to move away from it as i go forward..

I just learned that Bluefire has discontinued their WIndows API.. so now im stuck with hyaving to deal with cheapie crappy android tablets to build my system.. ive not yet found a NICE android tablet that has good CPU and RAM and a BIG SCREEN.. I have some nice 12 inch windows tablets..

time to regroup for me I guess.. really hoping I dont have to write my own software from the ground up.. I love coding for back-end nuts n bolts but rather hate coding UI stuff so im really hoping I can find a suitable large tablet I can use on my dash.. and I guess well learn to develop in android which ive not much experience in.. I normally have big servers and hardware at my disposal.. writing mobile will be interesting..
-Christopher
Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #32
Skoolie

Just thinking out loud on the keyboard but why cant you port droid onto your windows hardware with like" remix" and run that? tunrepro has an elm 327 download to play with but that is over my head. On a side notr have you seen what they are with the obdll stuff lately lsdroid can unlock and cloan a 411 ecm from a cell phone.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Remember this is a digital dash it needs to start up and run seamlessly and easily, ELM327 chips don’t read J1708, physically an ELM337 chip can read J1939. If o wanted to ground up an app sure I could build a 325 interface or use my serial to J1708/1939 devices..

The bluefire does the heavy hitting. I can make things more seamless .. I wanted a screen bigger than 10 inches.. I found a 12 inch tab online but only 2G Ram and a crappy old android 6
The good stuff seems to be like 9” or less
If I can make an android emulator one windows start up seamlessly quickly and in full screen then I’m all ears tell me about it
Christopher
Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
There are Android emulators that will run an Android VM on your windows machine. Would that make it easier to develop screens?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Developing isn’t the issue.. running it is.. meaning I want a good quality android tablet to run it on when I’m done.. whether the emulator will work Bluetooth or not would be an issue too .. a lot off emulators don’t pass through hardware..
android studio runs on Windows for developing the app but it’s got to run on something and a little teeny screen isn’t how I roll lol
Old 01-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
What about buying a separate monitor to use as your actual dashboard and driving the screen contents from a small tablet or phone?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #37
Bus Geek

My plan is to have a web interface for whatever I build so that it won't matter what device I have it displayed on.. A raspberry pi driving a touch screen running a browser in full screen would be the obvious choice, but any old tablet or phone or other device could tap in as well.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #38
Bus Geek

my virtual switch panel is a web interface.. but for my vehicle data display.. web seems kind of a pain for doing that.. something native works much better rather than writing complex AJAX or NODE apps and then developing my gauge displays from scratch? seems royal painish to me vs being able to run something native..

im using openHab to drive my virtual switch panel.. thats web based on a PI..

so Apparently I can run android apps on Chrome tablets.. anyone have experience with this? do you have access to the hardware like bluetooth?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #39
Bus Geek

I've never been a fan of JS but I've more or less accepted it out of necessity. Lots of great dial/gauge/graph libraries out there that you can drive with rpc data. Easy way is a websocket with a message every x interval with current values to display. I'm doing a lot of Vue lately...
Old 01-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #40
Bus Geek

what are you using as your back-end to get and decode the PID's / PGNs from the 1708 / 1939 network? going to write a backend app to take the data from a Bluefire and write it to a SQLite?