Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
computers

Now that windowz is ending support for seven and I don't like 8 or 10. I was wondering what os other people like and why.

syntaxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxterror View Post
Now that windowz is ending support for seven and I don't like 8 or 10. I was wondering what os other people like and why.
I have W10 and hate it. I like Apples approach to building on top of a Unix kernel. A lot! Just wish it were hardware agnostic.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I still have win7.. im not real worried about it on those virtual machines..

they arent free win-10. upgradeable so ill keep them on 7
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
What don't you like about Win10?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I've been exclusively a linux user for 25 years or so, lots of good options there. Hillary uses a Chromebook and loves it.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I been running Linux since 2009. I never needed an anti-spyware or antivirus program. Back in the day I ran Xubuntu, but moved on to MX Linux last year.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Wow what a bunch of geeks!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
What don't you like about Win10?
I was a sysadmin for a lot of years and used and configured every desktop and server OS since WNT4. And after all that time of so many security flaws and usability issues, instead of making a barebones OS that could be further enhanced as required, they threw two kitchen sinks at it and made it even harder to troubleshoot.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I was a sysadmin for a lot of years and used and configured every desktop and server OS since WNT4. And after all that time of so many security flaws and usability issues, instead of making a barebones OS that could be further enhanced as required, they threw two kitchen sinks at it and made it even harder to troubleshoot.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I'm not trying to support it, but from a user perspective I've got no complaints, and can't think of any problems I've had, other than their crap edge browser. Resource hog, but that's to be expected. Most of the time I'm running Ubuntu, though.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Skoolie

I only installed 10 to get bluefire. Don't like how both microsoft and apple both have made the systems like cell phones. You have to go to the app store or Itunes to get anything.Even with bluefire when you download it it is installed you can't put on a thumb drive and put it on another computer. I have played with Linux but not in a long time so figured i would see what everyone is using. I have high sierra on a x200 tablet just for fun.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Still on 7. Got my last updates and am now backing it all up and gonna try to get Win 10 free.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:11 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I'm in the final stage of setting up a ThinkPad for use as a diagnostic laptop and initially I wanted 7 due to my familiarity with it. However we had issues trying to get the wifi drivers to work even after manually installing. Spent probably 6 hours (200 updates sucks) on it one night, then the following day said screw it and went with my buddy's preference for Windows 8.1 embedded.

I had hated Windows 8 because it was so jarringly different, but the install took so much less time. Not only that, it was running circles around itself with how much faster it was running. Also all the drivers worked out of the box. We found a mod that gave Windows 8 a more conventional start menu so my biggest complaint about it is now void. Here's hoping that she does well!

I have Windows 10 on my personal laptop and have few complaints, none major and usually more of a settings pathing thing than anything else. My buddy however hates Windows 10.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Bus Geek

I have a little mini pc that I keep around in case I ever need an actual Windows machine (fortunately extremely rare). I just got a Nexiq clone and it's not doing the right thin in a VM so I'm stuck using the mini pc. This is what it's been doing for the last hour instead of doing what I needed it for:

The consumer level Windows experience is so bad they should include an apology in the box.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Skoolie

Truthseeker witch thinkpad do you have? They are my favorite. I have a version of 10 that has a more familiar environment but still you have to deal with MS. I know what a pain drivers can be but ibm support can be a big help. Take a look at LastOS they have some cool stuff that has been tweeked but MS doesn't like when you remove edge from there os. The nice part is most of the drivers are taken care of so it makes an install less of a pain.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Bus Geek

My "new" laptop is a used Thinkpad T440p. it's a great little machine and after purchase price plus upgrades I'm in for about $350. Technically a downgrade in most ways from my much more expensive 17" 4K before it but that thing was very fragile and was breaking in the most frustrating years inside the first year of ownership... And where that one could never go far from a power outlet I'm getting at least 8 hours of actual use out of this on battery.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Glad to see so many Thinkpad owners here. I have an old T430 that I refreshed with a 500gb SSD and the screen upgrade and it's doing great. I run Linux MX or Ubuntu on it typically.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Truthseeker witch thinkpad do you have? They are my favorite. I have a version of 10 that has a more familiar environment but still you have to deal with MS. I know what a pain drivers can be but ibm support can be a big help. Take a look at LastOS they have some cool stuff that has been tweeked but MS doesn't like when you remove edge from there os. The nice part is most of the drivers are taken care of so it makes an install less of a pain.
T430, a school surplus special. I'll have to take a look at those OSs when I get a chance.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I have a little mini pc that I keep around in case I ever need an actual Windows machine (fortunately extremely rare). I just got a Nexiq clone and it's not doing the right thin in a VM so I'm stuck using the mini pc. This is what it's been doing for the last hour instead of doing what I needed it for:

The consumer level Windows experience is so bad they should include an apology in the box.
Absolutely no question W10 is a resource hog. I've got a hand-me-down low-end Dell laptop that was almost unusable w/ W10, which it shipped with (). Switched it to xubuntu & doing much better now.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Don't like how both microsoft and apple both have made the systems like cell phones. You have to go to the app store or Itunes to get anything.

Understand the sentiment, but Window's new approach to app execution / sandboxing is a big improvement in stability and security. At least now when a store app fails it dies alone without taking the whole system down with it. No more dll versioning nightmares.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:52 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I TRY to follow along, but here's how this particular technology dinosaur reads y'all's conversation....

I bndfeijk bweoi hnjjsy guiw.oh jbjire, wbhf.hiu hcyf iresa ew gjku? I rcgf oliu xlra 7 gfes gh yjfy. Yrw oi res drt.

I thought that by some point I'd pick up this type of knowledge by osmosis, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote