Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #21

Engine: T444e
But speed, RPM, engine temp are available? Not sure what else is on there with me not in front of it. I'm assuming air pressure is not on there (hyd brakes, air suspension).
I have a 1999 International 4700lp with a t444e and Allison 3060md auto trans with 6th gear.
Don't hate because it's not a bus! I kept doing internet searches on the t444e and it kept bringing me to this forum.

Jhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
no hate from me.. im on a bus conversion site and I drive / restomod / restore my busses and dont convert them..

none of the air stuff is on the network.. those gauges are hard-line analog.. you will get turbo boost, temp, oil P, oil T, RPM, MPH, volts, miles, hours, fault codes, Fuel used data, engine load.. , cruise control data, i asked bluefire to add HPOP (PID 164) to iot as its a standard parm.. dont know ifthey did or not..

if your bluefire is the 9 pin one you very well may get some transmission data as well.

there are a who;le host of other parameters available that they dont recognize.. I added some of them in the source-code version to test and they work.. I want extra HPOP / ICP data...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #23

Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
no hate from me.. im on a bus conversion site and I drive / restomod / restore my busses and dont convert them..

none of the air stuff is on the network.. those gauges are hard-line analog.. you will get turbo boost, temp, oil P, oil T, RPM, MPH, volts, miles, hours, fault codes, Fuel used data, engine load.. , cruise control data, i asked bluefire to add HPOP (PID 164) to iot as its a standard parm.. dont know ifthey did or not..

if your bluefire is the 9 pin one you very well may get some transmission data as well.

there are a who;le host of other parameters available that they dont recognize.. I added some of them in the source-code version to test and they work.. I want extra HPOP / ICP data...
Wow! That's a lot of data. I just went and looked, I have the 6 pin connector.
I wouldn't know what to do with HPOP and ICP data. Maybe as I get further along I would.
With all that data available what size screen would you recommend? I'm thinking a small tablet would look too cluttered.
I appreciate all the info!
Jhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhart View Post
Wow! That's a lot of data. I just went and looked, I have the 6 pin connector.
I wouldn't know what to do with HPOP and ICP data. Maybe as I get further along I would.
With all that data available what size screen would you recommend? I'm thinking a small tablet would look too cluttered.
I appreciate all the info!

mine is on 2 tablets.. a 10 inch and a 12 inch.. one is silverleaf and the other is EFIlive (directly tunes my allison).. its not bluefire but the concept is the same..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	49268

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
So I looked behind my dashboard but I don't see anything like the 6-pin or the 9-pin connector. Where exactly is the connector that I'll be plugging this Bluefire into?
Did you look underneath the dashboard? It may be tucked up in a harness near the steering wheel or on the wall of the drivers footwell. It may have a cover on it.

Actual location can be wildly different, especially in a custom built application like a school bus. On International Durastars its mounted underneath the dash board on the far left side.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Did you look underneath the dashboard? It may be tucked up in a harness near the steering wheel or on the wall of the drivers footwell. It may have a cover on it.

Actual location can be wildly different, especially in a custom built application like a school bus. On International Durastars its mounted underneath the dash board on the far left side.
I looked under the dash but I couldn't even find a good angle to take a picture. Is it an empty plug or is there something already plugged into it? I couldn't see any empty plugs anywhere.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #27
Bus Nut

This thread should probably be moved to the mobile tech subforum so others can find it in the future.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
mine is on 2 tablets.. a 10 inch and a 12 inch.. one is silverleaf and the other is EFIlive (directly tunes my allison).. its not bluefire but the concept is the same..

Attachment 49268

-Christopher
Hmm, I was planning on hooking up my iPod touch, but that's probably going to be hilariously too small. My thinking in the short term is just to have something showing me mainly the engine temp whenever my dashboard cuts out.

This was unexpected, but when I had my mechanic look into the dashboard problem (he quoted me $500+) he unscrewed the dash and I had him leave it that way, and now I'm finding that whenever the dash cuts out I can just nudge it a couple times and it comes back to life.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
I looked under the dash but I couldn't even find a good angle to take a picture. Is it an empty plug or is there something already plugged into it? I couldn't see any empty plugs anywhere.
It's impossible for me to say for certain but it most likely will be either an empty plug or have a cover on it. My bus came with the remains of a telematics t-harness still plugged into the datalink. It shouldn't be that badly hidden, but could be behind an access panel. It will most likely be either black or grey in color, about an inch in diameter. Poke around the wiring harnesses.

Oh if you have an exterior electrical access panel on the driver's side, look in there too. I just remembered one of my buses has it in there, buried under really messy wiring.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
This thread should probably be moved to the mobile tech subforum so others can find it in the future.
I dunno, it’s probably got broader appeal than that. But what do you say, OP? We can move it if you’d like.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
I dunno, it’s probably got broader appeal than that. But what do you say, OP? We can move it if you’d like.
Maybe you are right, IDK, to me it seems the 'Bluefire Gadget' is quite literally mobile tech, I don't think placing it in that sub-forum should take away from its broad appeal, and it would be much more relevant and discoverable there. But I'm neither the OP nor a moderator so its not my place to say or decision to make.

I find that on this forum specifically, I miss a lot of good info when I'm researching a specific topic because so many specific threads are in the wrong sub or buried in a general sub. Just my 2c
Old 09-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
Sure, no problem. I only posted it in Conversion General Discussions because it says it's for "problems" and I was having one.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #33
Site Team

Moved the thread...
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Here is a link to the FAQ on the Bluefire website, decent bit of introductory info there:
bluefire-llc.com

I'm curious if anyone who already owns or has used the product/app has messed around with the trip recording function

Quote:
Trip Recording - Allows you to record trip information and compare it to previous trips.

@musigenisis
I noticed Bluefire has their own forum, so if you can't find the answers you need here, I suspect there are some helpful experts over there too.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I record all of our trips. It is easy enough to use and even lets you add notes before, during and/or after the trip. It only records the start time, location, mileage, fuel and the same for the end point. It then calculates total time and fuel mileage. Rudementary but useful.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:02 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Here is a video of our BlueFire screen while diagnosing an engine noise.

Not a very steady video 'cause it was IN A BUS .... but you can get an idea of the information the BlueFire can display. These are only the gauges I selected, not all of them.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

My plug is under the dash to the right, kind of under where the shifter is. My bus is the next generation after yours so it might be in a different place. There is a small dust cover on it so you may not see the pins right away. I'll send a picture once I pick the bus up from the shop.

I run it with my android phone which works out alright but I may get a dedicated device so I don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting it. My dash has some issues as well (speedometer is totally inop, my other intermittent lights may be due to the dash module going out), but the Bluefire reads directly from the computer so I get accurate readings from the speed sensor (validated by GPS).

https://www.instagram.com/pilgrim_days/
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDanger View Post
My plug is under the dash to the right, kind of under where the shifter is. My bus is the next generation after yours so it might be in a different place. There is a small dust cover on it so you may not see the pins right away. I'll send a picture once I pick the bus up from the shop.

I run it with my android phone which works out alright but I may get a dedicated device so I don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting it. My dash has some issues as well (speedometer is totally inop, my other intermittent lights may be due to the dash module going out), but the Bluefire reads directly from the computer so I get accurate readings from the speed sensor (validated by GPS).
Actually, I just spotted the plug in that exact place this morning, after much poking around under the dash and in the electrical panel. The bad news is I think I may have blown my engine.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #39
Bus Geek

I don't think there's anything worse in iOS than the stacked notification popups. Whenever I wake up a device after a few months, I have to tap through like 50 of the things, with no indication of when it's ever going to end. And then of course the BlueFire app itself does the same thing.

From my perspective, it's just a terrible user interface element and it's been terrible for the last 25 years. But like a lot of things I guess people just like it for some reason.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #40
Bus Geek

So I have my BlueFire gadget and BlueFire for Trucks installed on my iPad. I just plug in the gadget and connect from the app and that's it? Does the ignition need to be on for this to work, or is it powered up all the time?

Question: there is a pushbutton of some sort next to the port on my bus. What is that for?