Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Help with ordering Bluefire gadget?

My bus is in the shop and I had them take a look at my erratic dashboard problem. They said that the normal fix of re-soldering the pins or whatever wouldn't work in my case and they quoted me $500+ (just for the parts) to get it working again. I told them not to bother with it and instead of trying to futz with it myself, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Bluefire and cheap tablet and go all-electronic.

Can anybody help me with exactly what parts I need to order for this? The mechanic said something about my bus being from a weird hybrid period with a different type of pin connector or something.

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on exactly what I need to do to set this up?

And just to check: the intermittent problem with my dash won't affect this digital setup, correct?

Old 09-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
Bluefire has 3 models of Bluetooth adapter. The black one, is Bluetooth 2.1. The green ones are Bluetooth LE. Only the most expensive green one will work with Apple products. If you know you'll never want to use them with apple products, then either of the two other options should work fine. Personally, I picked the apple compatible green with with Bluetooth LE, so my options are open. So far leaving it plugged in all the time hasn't been a problem, although it does stay lit up (with no communications) even when all the chassis switches are off in the engine compartment. A battery maintainer is helpful in that situation.

These Bluetooth adapters all have the 9 pin round connector, and you would need to select the converter cable you need if your bus has a different connector. So first, find your connector and make sure you match it. I see they even have a converter cable for OBD II, which is cool.

Also, the dash issue shouldn't affect reading the communications between the components.

I hope this is helpful,
Jim
Old 09-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
DT466 is *NOT* a detroit engine.. its an IH engine.. IOH sold it under a detroit nameplate for a short while however it used the IH computers..

your bus should have a 9 pin connector under the dash, the bluefire can be ordered in either 6 or 9 pin.. I have one of each.. and I bought the green ones that work with apple products.. ipads even older ones are easy to come by and make easy setup with the device..

im not up on the current andtroid tablets anymore.. i used to mess with them but havent lately.

the real time comes in for designing your own dashboard layouts. which the bluefire allows you to do... it takes a little time to understand their interface but once you do its great!.

since ipads use a lightning cable, they will stay charged even when operating for long periods of time at full brightness..

many android tablets only have micro-USB for charging. and can slowly discharge while running constantly screen on bright with dashboard software..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
DT466 is *NOT* a detroit engine.. its an IH engine.. IOH sold it under a detroit nameplate for a short while however it used the IH computers..
Whoops, my bad. Thanks for the correction!

I corrected the mistaken post.

I swear when I ordered, they had a 6 pin and 9 pin version, but checking the site a few minutes ago, when you go to the 6 pin version, they say to buy the 9 pin version and the 9 to 6 adapter cable.

Only reason I suggested anything other than a 6 or 9 was musigenesis's statement that "The mechanic said something about my bus being from a weird hybrid period with a different type of pin connector or something.", hence the whole compare your connector to their conversion cables bit.

I haven't even begun to look into dash design yet. I'll get there eventually. My 2004 caterpillar doesn't have a lot of data available in the app, which was a bummer.

Jim
Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Order directly from the manufacturer at https://bluefire-llc.com/website/shop and use the coupon code AMAZON. It is normally good for a 10% discount.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Thank you guys, this is awesome. I'm going to take some pics of my bus connectors so I can figure out which cable to get, and then I'll order the apple-compatible one. I'm probably going to try to get it working with my Android phone first, but I also have a couple of iPads lying around (I'm actually an iOS developer) and the thing about staying powered up seems pretty important for long-distance trips.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

the 466E / 444E / VT365. are all J1708 on the diagnostics but they run J1939 on the comm link between trans, ABS, and ECM.. so it is kind of hybrid in that both protocols are used..
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Order directly from the manufacturer at https://bluefire-llc.com/website/shop and use the coupon code AMAZON. It is normally good for a 10% discount.
Thanks for the tip! That's a pretty funny coupon code for them to use, since I assume that 10% is about what Amazon would have taken off the top (although it's probably way more than 10%) and they basically give that to you instead of Amazon.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 466E / 444E / VT365. are all J1708 on the diagnostics but they run J1939 on the comm link between trans, ABS, and ECM.. so it is kind of hybrid in that both protocols are used..
Is this the connector I'll need?

https://www.amazon.com/My20-ELD-Adap.../dp/B076R1Z937
Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Thanks for the tip! That's a pretty funny coupon code for them to use, since I assume that 10% is about what Amazon would have taken off the top (although it's probably way more than 10%) and they basically give that to you instead of Amazon.
They do sell on Amazon also, but no discount. You do pay a small amount for shipping from their site but it's still cheaper. I bought the 9-pin for android/apple/ windows and a 6 pin adapter. The adapters are from https://www.my-grandview.com/ , not from Bluefire.
You may not need an adapter. Check what you have.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:09 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
That is the 6-pin to 9-pin adapter, not the BlueFire adapter.

If you get the adapter from theBluefire website, you can also have the adapter made with a conformal coating (about $10.00 additional). The way our buses bounce, shake, rattle while they roll ... I figured it was a safe thing to have.

Also, if you have a non-Apple adapter and get an Apple device later, you can "upgrade" for the difference in the original unit. You'll send it to him and he'll send the Apple-compliant unit back.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
Bus Geek

I have a 6 pin bluefire adapter and then used a 6 to 9 cable but found the 6 pin doesnt support J1939 only J1708. so it wouldnt read any transmission data..

I have a 9 pin green one still new in the box i need to take out and hook up one of these days and see if it will read my transmission data.

-Christopher
Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
Bus Geek

So I looked behind my dashboard but I don't see anything like the 6-pin or the 9-pin connector. Where exactly is the connector that I'll be plugging this Bluefire into?
Old 09-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #14
Skoolie

In my thomas rear engine, there's a plastic panel in the front right dash section, that when removed exposes a fuse box, electronic gizmos like the wiper control module, and that 9 pin connector. This is the primary DC distribution section for the front of my bus I think. I'm pretty sure it then feeds over to the stuff under the driver's side window.

Your mechanic should be able to tell you, if they were just using it.

I don't know for your specific bus. You might need to look around a bit to find it.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 09-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I work in IT and have a loathing for Android devices trying to work on Bluetooth. When I get my BlueFire I'll pay the extra $10 for the version that works on Apple.

My bus is also a 2001 so it's right on the edge of being a 1939 or a J1708. I haven't looked too much into it since most of my gauges work (except for odometer). I have literally no idea what my actual mileage is (previous owner claimed around 200k ballpark). This would be my main reason for getting the BlueFire, in addition to being able to check codes that come up.

There is a seller on ebay that quoted me $125 to send the gauge cluster to him and have it repaired but he didn't sound 100% that that would fix it. Plus my bus would have to sit without a gauge cluster for x amount of weeks if I went that route.

Also, fyi BlueFire makes 2 different versions of their app. There's BlueFire for Motorhomes and then there's a version for Trucks which appears to be the same thing, just that it's updated more frequently and has IFTA stuff that doesn't apply to motorhome usage.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I have literally no idea what my actual mileage is (previous owner claimed around 200k ballpark). This would be my main reason for getting the BlueFire
This is the main reason I don't want to get one. I want to persist in my delusion that my bus has 152K with 32K on a rebuilt engine for as long as possible.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
This is the main reason I don't want to get one. I want to persist in my delusion that my bus has 152K with 32K on a rebuilt engine for as long as possible.
I have documentation that the bus had 175k when Rocky Mountain sold it to the non profit in 2012. According to the director that sold me the bus (and my overall impression of it) it was only used on short trips around the area so I am confident that it won't be much over 200k miles.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #18
Bus Geek

The real advantage to the android version or windows version is they give away the source code or you can use their SDK, so it’s a way for me to read and display all the proprietary navistar parameters that exist but aren’t published and therefore bluefire won’t read and their interface gives no way to add your own custom data parser.

Having shredded IH servicemaxx and gone through it I’ve figured out some of the important data I want to snag and how to get it.
They don’t give away the Xcode iOS version..
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #19

Engine: T444e
Excuse my ignorance on this, but besides the green Bluefire thingy and an iPad, what do I need to display the info, and what parameters will it show me? Does it matter the generation of Ipad? Could I use a monitor?
Do I need or is it like the silverleaf software? Can I mount the iPad to the dash plastic and see the same info?
Tia
Jhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
Bus Geek

the parameters depenbds o nthe engine and year of your ECM.. the bluefire software will run on an ipad or an android device.. or even an iphone / android phone..

you can design your own screens for how you want to display the info.. there are definitely proprietary navistar parameters that dont show up.. since they give away the source code for android / windows I have created a couple additions and they work.. but thats not in the general circulation