Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2024, 10:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
Installing an Infortainment system from a car or SUV

Has anyone here transplanted an Infotainment center from a donor car?
For example the touchscreen and other components needed from a Toyota mini van.

If so what are all the other pieces that you need to get out besides the screen?

Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
no reason to.. most of those are integrated to the PCM / BCM of the car..

I installed a pioneer touch screen stereo unit with aplle carplay / android auto in my red bus.

that unit is a 1 DIN with a popup screen... its a few years old.. there are other options with detached 10 inch + screens now.. some of them run on android OS so you could even use an app like Bluefire on it for engine data if you choose, along with various navi apps..

if you want the alarm / tracking capabilities there are aftermarket vehicle alarm / GPS trackers available..

Onstar once sold a kit for "aftermarket" use but was very limited in the vehicles they allowed you to install it on.. they wouldnt activate it installed on my 1986 Monte Carlo Hot rod.. ..

you'll spend more time and effort trying to retrofit (a decidedly well inferior toyota entune) into your bus versus building your own cool system with aftermarket pieces..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I bought a touchscreen android auto double din head unit off Amazon to integrate. Are you trying to integrate the climate control and stuff like a giant Tesla screen? There is some cool stuff out there for marine use that would fit the bill nicely.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:49 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I'm completely in agreement with CadillacKid here; building one from aftermarket parts that are designed to work with as many varieties of vehicle as possible will almost certainly yield a better overall experience than trying to pillage a junker's OEM system to fit into a completely different make.

I did once scavenge an upgraded automatic A/C from an Exploder for a Ranger, but between being both Fords and essentially the same platform, it's a whole different matter--especially since the '01 and '03 are the same everything and were pre-infotainment center rigs.

So unless you've got the donor literally sitting in your yard next to your bus, I wouldn't even try it--and even then, I would strongly advise against it.

You're much more likely to wind up with a better experience and an easier install, with more support going aftermarket.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

its one thing to install options after the fact.. ive dont that on many vehicles where I upgraded to better options than mine came with.. but thats adding systems made for that vehicle that yours just didnt come with...

the early Jeep wrangler JK shared a ton of radio and computer and creature comfort items with the PT cruiser and the Caravan vans.. Jeepo didnt offer many of these on the wrangler.. however you could add them by pulling them off other vehicles and installing them in the jeep and even the starscan dealer scanners recognized them on the network and would enable them.... so auto headlights, bluetooth U connect touchscreen, heated seats, and others that my first wrangler JK got that the factory never offered...

im actually somewhat into building my own glass-coockpit control for the red bus.. havent worked on it a lot lately.. ive been around from doing QT as the GUI to doing custom Websockets based GUI where I can use a simple web browser to the raspberry pi hardware controiller.. ive already written the software for use in my home HVAC system to take in REST data and control various relays and read inputs... so design the screens and im set.. ill either use a separate android tablet for the switches or ill use a nice car friendly app switcher on an android head unit wit ha big screen.. there are some nice ones made where the screen can be detached from the main unit making it rather easy to 3D print a bezel and panel mount the screen..

the Raspberry pi controller will be set up on its own battery back, where it will run for 3 or 4 hours after bus shutdown, in an idling state they pull very little power so a remote self power down is pretty easy.. a latching circuit that gets re-latched upon ignition.. reboot is less than a minute on my tests, which is about the time most of the android head units boot up..

hoping to have some time to work on that project again.. i finally got the new HVAC system in my house fully functional using a lot of the same ideas im going for in the bus so thats a bonus..
Old 03-26-2024, 05:27 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
I bought a touchscreen android auto double din head unit off Amazon to integrate. Are you trying to integrate the climate control and stuff like a giant Tesla screen? There is some cool stuff out there for marine use that would fit the bill nicely.
No I have no AC in my bus. I was just wanting a larger screen than my phone for navigation and radio really around 8-10 inches.

I have not looked into may options yet I am just getting to the point that I am going to start on my front drivers area/ dashboard wiring and switch mounting. I was just thinking that if they were not part of the cars actual computer system it might only be one or two components
Old 03-26-2024, 08:46 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzie View Post
No I have no AC in my bus. I was just wanting a larger screen than my phone for navigation and radio really around 8-10 inches.

I have not looked into may options yet I am just getting to the point that I am going to start on my front drivers area/ dashboard wiring and switch mounting. I was just thinking that if they were not part of the cars actual computer system it might only be one or two components

some of them may be, but most require the CAN bus.. and honestly all but a couple are pretty inferior.. esp honda , toyota.. and really any of them after they are more than 3 or 4 years old so junkyard systems will net you already out-dated technology.. its pretty easy if you are just looking to have a radio and a Navi screen.. Pioneer makes some of the best apple carplay / android auto integrated systems.. which in my oinion is the only way to go as you dont need any special subscriptions or such.. you use the navi and music apps on your phone.. if brioadcast radio is your thing, many of these newer pioneer units have HD radio for extra stations and really nice sound on FM..
Old 03-26-2024, 08:54 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I think the best and most useful mod I ever did to my ranger was installing map lights like a friend had in their mustang.

I ordered the light off ebay, and got lucky that the years matched, so it should definitely be compatible... I psyched myself up with all of my tools and testing gear, and finally took the plunge...

After opening up the cab light in my truck, I very quickly realized that the only thing that was required were two phillips-head sheet metal screws holding the base into the overhead needed to be turned around, and then the light fixture itself would clip right in. I was disappointed there wasn't more to hack on it, but also very pleasantly pleased because it came together like it was meant to be--and I used the hell out of it all the time.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:06 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
some of them may be, but most require the CAN bus.. and honestly all but a couple are pretty inferior.. esp honda , toyota.. and really any of them after they are more than 3 or 4 years old so junkyard systems will net you already out-dated technology.. its pretty easy if you are just looking to have a radio and a Navi screen.. Pioneer makes some of the best apple carplay / android auto integrated systems.. which in my oinion is the only way to go as you dont need any special subscriptions or such.. you use the navi and music apps on your phone.. if brioadcast radio is your thing, many of these newer pioneer units have HD radio for extra stations and really nice sound on FM..
Thanks Chris I will look at the pioneer stuff. I did call the local salvage yard and they did say the infotainment screens were $50. That is one reason I was kinda thinking about getting one.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks Chris I will look at the pioneer stuff. I did call the local salvage yard and they did say the infotainment screens were $50. That is one reason I was kinda thinking about getting one.

A lot of those are manufacturer-specific, so you would still need expensive adapters in order to be able to hook up to them. And while I am not as familiar with the post-law infotainment centers, I can only imagine that many of them have been configured so that they have become an integral part of the car's multiple computer systems, so could potentially have connections to the CAN bus which have almost certainly been made proprietary.

If you need a new screen for your 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, by all means, look there to find a replacement, because Mazda wouldn't like it if any old samsung or LG knockoff could produce a viable replacement... But if you're looking to build something from-scratch to install, it would be much easier to spend a little bit more to save a boat-load of time, unless you seriously like hacking and cracking software and hardware to make it do something it was never intended to do in the first place.

A $200 generic replacement unit would make things so much easier, or even adding in a larger touch-screen somewhere else. And this is coming from a guy who put a playstation in a Mitsubishi Cordia in the '90s--I like to hack stuff.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
A lot of those are manufacturer-specific, so you would still need expensive adapters in order to be able to hook up to them. And while I am not as familiar with the post-law infotainment centers, I can only imagine that many of them have been configured so that they have become an integral part of the car's multiple computer systems, so could potentially have connections to the CAN bus which have almost certainly been made proprietary.

If you need a new screen for your 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, by all means, look there to find a replacement, because Mazda wouldn't like it if any old samsung or LG knockoff could produce a viable replacement... But if you're looking to build something from-scratch to install, it would be much easier to spend a little bit more to save a boat-load of time, unless you seriously like hacking and cracking software and hardware to make it do something it was never intended to do in the first place.

A $200 generic replacement unit would make things so much easier, or even adding in a larger touch-screen somewhere else. And this is coming from a guy who put a playstation in a Mitsubishi Cordia in the '90s--I like to hack stuff.
Thanks. I think I will just buy a get a aftermarket one. I am in IT but programming is not real in my wheelhouse. I am wanting a larger screen and most of the cheap ones are only about 7 inches. As Chris mentioned pioneer has some with large 10 inch screens. They are not cheap though. I will have to research my aftermarket options.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:39 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks. I think I will just buy a get a aftermarket one. I am in IT but programming is not real in my wheelhouse. I am wanting a larger screen and most of the cheap ones are only about 7 inches. As Chris mentioned pioneer has some with large 10 inch screens. They are not cheap though. I will have to research my aftermarket options.

IMHO it's generally better to do that in a bus since you would also have to figure out how to mount it, and that means you get to think about it more, and end up doing it how you like, instead of trying to cram something shaped for a different kind of fit into a place where it doesn't belong.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:44 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:

I only mentioned pioneer because the yare turnkey and generally some of the most versatile as far as the speakers they work with and support for installation, etc..

in the past I have had success using chinese android based head units.. I used one in the Smart car i had and also one in a classic monte Carlo resto-mod I did.. the thing to look at when buying those is the android version..

for instance lots of the cheapie chinese are advertising android 11 or android 12.. well we are on android 14.. so I would think long and hard about buying a head unit with a 3 year old Operating system unless your main purpose is just to run standard apps like google and play music.. most of the china units dont get updates as often.. but as cheap as they are maybe you just figure on swapping it in 4 or 5 years anyway..

obviously the advantage to the android based systems is that you can run real apps.. ie you could run the bluefire app and have your digital dash up... if it supports app splitting you could potentially have your map and your dash on one screen..

the pioneer (and other major brands) offer apple carplay and android auto so you get more seamless integration to your phone but of course are limited on the apps that will display on the screen.. typically just navi or music... pioneer has their own app eco system but honestly it sucks.. i just use carplay in my red bus... my current biggest issue is my navi screen is off to the side (factory bluebird radio position).. which is a royal PITA.. so im looking to relocate / detached screen or such.. when I was doing my buildout, the factory radio was terrible.. only 1 speaker worked and i need my tunage on the highway so I slapped in an amp, a sub, some new ceiling speakers and some portables on the dash and bam! class A tunage.. but now its time to do it up the way I really want it..
Old 03-28-2024, 10:45 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
I only mentioned pioneer because the yare turnkey and generally some of the most versatile as far as the speakers they work with and support for installation, etc..

in the past I have had success using chinese android based head units.. I used one in the Smart car i had and also one in a classic monte Carlo resto-mod I did.. the thing to look at when buying those is the android version..

for instance lots of the cheapie chinese are advertising android 11 or android 12.. well we are on android 14.. so I would think long and hard about buying a head unit with a 3 year old Operating system unless your main purpose is just to run standard apps like google and play music.. most of the china units dont get updates as often.. but as cheap as they are maybe you just figure on swapping it in 4 or 5 years anyway..

obviously the advantage to the android based systems is that you can run real apps.. ie you could run the bluefire app and have your digital dash up... if it supports app splitting you could potentially have your map and your dash on one screen..

the pioneer (and other major brands) offer apple carplay and android auto so you get more seamless integration to your phone but of course are limited on the apps that will display on the screen.. typically just navi or music... pioneer has their own app eco system but honestly it sucks.. i just use carplay in my red bus... my current biggest issue is my navi screen is off to the side (factory bluebird radio position).. which is a royal PITA.. so im looking to relocate / detached screen or such.. when I was doing my buildout, the factory radio was terrible.. only 1 speaker worked and i need my tunage on the highway so I slapped in an amp, a sub, some new ceiling speakers and some portables on the dash and bam! class A tunage.. but now its time to do it up the way I really want it..
Yea right now I am using my phone for navigation when needed and it is off the left on a window mount phone holder and it blocks some of my view and bounces a bit.(imagine that). I have a cheap Dual radio that has bluetooth I use now but, it is way to far on the left and back to make any changes safely while driving. I have been looking at the cheap Chinese headsets but wonder about spyware on them.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:02 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Hell the first thing I do when I buy a new car is get rid of the inferior OEM electronics.

Done this all my life.

When I bought my Camaro, someone made a kit for $150 that even used the OEM knobs for the air control unit, but added a double din screen all in one casing. So now it looks factory, but isn't at all. Threw a Alpine double din stereo system in there, touchscreen, supports all the new apps like spotify, HDMI input, (Google chromecast anyone? So I can shoot my phone screen to it and use any android apps on it I want.) OEM options are always **** compared to aftermarket. I plan to do the same for my bus except I don't have to worry about ripping anything out cause it came with nothing so it should be easier.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:09 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
Hell the first thing I do when I buy a new car is get rid of the inferior OEM electronics.

Done this all my life.

When I bought my Camaro, someone made a kit for $150 that even used the OEM knobs for the air control unit, but added a double din screen all in one casing. So now it looks factory, but isn't at all. Threw a Alpine double din stereo system in there, touchscreen, supports all the new apps like spotify, HDMI input, (Google chromecast anyone? So I can shoot my phone screen to it and use any android apps on it I want.) OEM options are always **** compared to aftermarket. I plan to do the same for my bus except I don't have to worry about ripping anything out cause it came with nothing so it should be easier.

the busses are a lot easier well except for Bluebird's Wonky series-parallel method of speaker wiring... they do some wierd stuff... so if you are taking any of your factory interior panels down but keeping factory locations for speakers and you have a Bluebird.. Run new wires.. (or well like i did, use the old school light wires that ran from front to back). I replaced my ceiling speakers with some larger magnert better quality 4 inch speakers thast fit the same holes.. and since i have a sub, i crossed them over at mid and high nad leave my 500 watt sub for the thumpin...

some of the modern factory infotainment is actually pretty good these days... the harmon kardon system in my ram is actually respectable in sound as is the user interface.. but many of the factory runs from the foreign manufacturers.. toyota and honda esp are crappy and leack features...

I never really thoiught about the china spying wit hthe cheaop head units.. but I use a mikrotik cellular router for the internet on those devices.. so I suppose I could monitor the traffic going out and block the firewall... if i get one of those again ill have to see what it does..
Old 04-03-2024, 08:54 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
the busses are a lot easier well except for Bluebird's Wonky series-parallel method of speaker wiring... they do some wierd stuff... so if you are taking any of your factory interior panels down but keeping factory locations for speakers and you have a Bluebird.. Run new wires.. (or well like i did, use the old school light wires that ran from front to back). I replaced my ceiling speakers with some larger magnert better quality 4 inch speakers thast fit the same holes.. and since i have a sub, i crossed them over at mid and high nad leave my 500 watt sub for the thumpin...

some of the modern factory infotainment is actually pretty good these days... the harmon kardon system in my ram is actually respectable in sound as is the user interface.. but many of the factory runs from the foreign manufacturers.. toyota and honda esp are crappy and leack features...

I never really thoiught about the china spying wit hthe cheaop head units.. but I use a mikrotik cellular router for the internet on those devices.. so I suppose I could monitor the traffic going out and block the firewall... if i get one of those again ill have to see what it does..
I removed all the ceiling and have run my own speaker wires and have some 6x9 (I think) speakers in the back. My cheap aftermarket Dual radio with Bluetooth works alright it just does not have a screen to have my map up where I can see it as well. My phone works alright I just want something bigger.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:15 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
Question

I’m looking into low cost “head-units” that include a back-up camera. The price range is wide and the brands are often Chinese. What to choose?
Old 04-05-2024, 07:31 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
I’m looking into low cost “head-units” that include a back-up camera. The price range is wide and the brands are often Chinese. What to choose?

most of these are based on android, many of them thast are cheap are on really old versions of android.. android 14 is the latest.. I see many of these on android 10.. so its 4 years old already.. (14 came out in october of 23)..

android 14 head units are starting to come out.. android 12 units are pretty common.. I might consider something running on 12.. the biggest issue is that many times these chines companies never offer full upgrades.. sometimes you get a manufacturer that will issue never upgrades each year..
Old 04-05-2024, 11:29 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
I have an older eRapta camera system that has 4 cameras and it was about $200 I think. The new version has a built in DVR. My wife bought it for my birthday back in 2019.