Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

Internet for Sports

IF professional sports ever get started back up... Im just getting started with my skoolie and have a question about Internet. I make a living doing daily fantasy sports so that involves watching a lot of sports. I buy the mlb and nhl packages. Anyone have any experience streaming games from their phone(thats using a hot spot) and streaming through a chromecast to a TV?
**never used a hotspot every in my life** any info would be great

PointBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
There are plenty of sports programming streaming but mobile bandwidth to support the kind of watching like you describe will be a challenge.

I have two mobile data plans that are supposed to be unlimited with no cap. One of them (AT&T) has never throttled me but the coverage and speed are marginal in the areas that I have been. I signed up with Visible from Verizon. Supposed to be unlimited and no cap. Speed tests sitting in my kitchen range from 600kbps to 25mbps. During afternoon and evening hours it usually tests at 1-3 Mbps.

I had intended to replace the AT&T with the Visible/Verizon service. Turns. Out that with both of them I get by.

There are a number of members here who rely on mobile Internet to work while on the road. Maybe Brokedown or Cadillac will chime in. They have more experience with working on the road than I do. So far anyways
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Bus Geek

A thought, you can probably get all of the sports programming from satellite TV. I traveled 40+ states over six years with satellite TV onboard. On occasion we found a spot where we could not get usable signal but it was definitely more reliable than mobile data when in rural areas..
Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I don't follow sportsball but I can say that internet can often be a challenge unless you're sticking to cities. Even with multiple networks at your disposal there will be places that it just doesn't work. My plan is to keep moving if I stop someone for the night and don't have usable coverage. Fortunately for me, it doesn't take a lot for me to work. if your needs are that you can stream HD video you'll be a lot more picky about where you can stop.

Of course, don't write off going to a starbucks or similar. Their parking lots are empty right now and their wifi often reaches the parking lot.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I have spent a number of nights on Home Depot parking lots and all but one of them had guest internet that we were able to use. It was good enough for low resolution streaming of Netflix.

I carry a Ubiquiti external Wi-Fi client. I think that it is the Nanobridge2. It has around 22db gain antenna, up to 1watt transmit power and a decent receiver.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
You said "wilderness" in your 30day+ thread so I'm going to key on that. The reaches of cellular data is impressive but it does have its limits. There are many places in the west where there is no signal. I've stretched it about as far as I think is possible with a tower and a weBoost booster. I agree with Steve, satellite TV is your best option for watching things way out there. I have this Dish Playmaker setup and it works well enough. It is a wee bit limited compared to a typical home setup though.

Can't wait til StarLink is up and running!!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBreak View Post
IF professional sports ever get started back up... Im just getting started with my skoolie and have a question about Internet. I make a living doing daily fantasy sports so that involves watching a lot of sports. I buy the mlb and nhl packages. Anyone have any experience streaming games from their phone(thats using a hot spot) and streaming through a chromecast to a TV?
**never used a hotspot every in my life** any info would be great
It is going to be difficult, your stream would keep buffering and you would not enjoy the game. I tried watching a soccer game when I was travelling and used hotspot, but the stream kept buffering every 10 seconds. It is not impossible, but it would be less enjoyable.
Ricksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdunham View Post
I've been using Sportz TV. Combined with an affordable streaming media player like a Firestick, I can watch your favorite TV channels at a fraction of what I am currently paying. Here is a simple guide on how to operate it https://www.firesticktricks.com/sportz-tv-iptv.html . Hope this helps

what all sports channels do you get?

I watch 2 things on TV.. Sports and Law N order.. used to be 3 till they canned live PD.. i can get law N order on peacock now.. but sports is the only reason i carry cable at home for more than just internet.. StarLink is looking to be covered anough by year end to be mobile so that allows me to have internet and TV in more remote areas which im excited about..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote