Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Internet on the Road - What is your setup?

Skoolie Fam!
After juggling a few of the threads here, trying to wrap my mind around our internet setup in the bus, I thought I'd reach out to you beautiful people once more to compile some knowledge into one thread in hopes of a "go-to" on easy internet for skoolie life

After looking at all of the options and equipment, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed even for someone who is usually pretty tech-savvy; Hot Spots, Routers, Boosters, JetPacks, 4G, 5G, and SO many different cell plans now - I think I've got myself tied in a knot and all the tech for this is so expensive I would love to avoid any redundant or needless purchases

To get right to it: What is your internet setup, in most basic terms? What cell provider / data provider are you using, and how is it working out for you?

Here's my plan for us, just to get out on the road - can you poke any holes in it, or lend some advice?
  1. One phone line with T-Mobile (we currently have unlimited data on our TMobile lines, $75/mo each line),
  2. get a new phone line with Verizon w/ unlimited data ($80/mo + phone cost),
  3. then use a router to send the signal out to our devices? I'm hearing Netgear Nighthawk M1, but maybe we can get away with something less robust / costly?

We just need basic internet access for email, sending files, streaming music and movies - nothing encrypted or super advanced.

Thank you all for taking the time to help us newbs get out on the road! I owe you all a drink and some dinner

A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hey BG, we've been using a cellular hotspot/modem from The RV IT Guy ( https://www.thervitguy.com/ ) and we're very happy with it...happy enough that I wrote a review post on it. It seems to be truly unlimited, as it's the primary internet for our bus home and our AirBnB house. They are using the Sprint network and, perhaps, I could have gone straight to Sprint? But I like that they're a small business and their staff seem to all be living nomadic lives. And you can talk to someone promptly.

The unit has a wifi router built in, but it also has ethernet ports and we have another wifi router and an extender plugged into those to reach a camp spot a hundred yards out yonder.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey BG, we've been using a cellular hotspot/modem from The RV IT Guy ( https://www.thervitguy.com/ ) and we're very happy with it...happy enough that I wrote a review post on it. It seems to be truly unlimited, as it's the primary internet for our bus home and our AirBnB house. They are using the Sprint network and, perhaps, I could have gone straight to Sprint? But I like that they're a small business and their staff seem to all be living nomadic lives. And you can talk to someone promptly.

The unit has a wifi router built in, but it also has ethernet ports and we have another wifi router and an extender plugged into those to reach a camp spot a hundred yards out yonder.
Thanks Ross! I did see your post on the RV IT Guy service - I am looking over their site right now actually, really intriguing. I assume they still face the same limitations a regular cell provider does - distance from cell towers - but their price for 'truely unlimited' internet sounds great, opposed to throttled speeds from big carriers. Also a fan of supporting small companies like this

I'm thinking about changing my TMobile line over to Verizon or something like Visible (still researching), my wife will keep her TMobile line, and we can add something like this RV IT Guy connection to keep us covered if we start to find ourselves running through cell data too fast.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We used a WeBoost OTR truck cell booster to boost our Verizon Jetpack. We almost always had a usable data connection on the road. We were always able to stream Netflix or Hulu or whatever. Of course, we'd use Campendium to find our boondocking sites and the reviews usually stated if there was a Verizon signal. Other times we'd scout with the truck and find campsites that had a data connection. You could probably get away with using a cell phone instead of the Jetpack...we sometimes went that way. The Jetpack was like $65/mo and "unlimited" but throttled after we reached the data cap. They almost never throttled it in reality, I think they do that if its a busy tower. Our phones are Visible and Total Wireless, which use the Verizon network. Visible is "unlimited" too but we haven't tested whether they throttle it or not. Total wireless allowed us to buy more data, which we did a few times.
I think you could get by without a router if you use the hotspot feature on a phone, or use a Jetpack. You'll probably want a Weboost or something similar though, and get a telescoping window-washing pole or something to raise it...not usually necessary, but nice to have in a pinch.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Hey Gang, just heading back around for an update on our internet service so far.

We went with our two T-Mobile cell phone plans (we already had them) with "unlimited" data on the phones, 50gb hot spot data each.
Paired with our 150gb Verizon jetpack we get 250gb per month spread accross 2 networks for approx $250/month (split between my wife and I).

We both work about 30 hours / week so internet is essential to our traveling lifestyle, even if it comes at a higher cost.

So far after eight states and approx 3500 miles we have only had one night with no internet We could cut down our use a ton if we stopped watching TV (streaming) but. . . old habbits die hard I guess

Hope y'all are staying warm out there!!! See you on the road
Old 01-16-2022, 02:06 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If you can get on to ATT's new "first responder" network....... fire, police, medical, and lots more....I think military and vets as well well as many others.....for instance because my gals company provides aircraft for fire fighting, everyone in the company qualifies...
Anyway, it's unlimited talk, text, data, AND HOTSPOT for like $45/month PLUS as of two weeks ago you were getting an iPad air 9th gen for $13/month with a $13/month credit and it too is unlimited HOTSPOT.
PLUS a free apple watch.

So she's got ATT on her phone and I have the iPad and watch since she hates apple and ported her Android over.

I then have an iPhone with Visible as the carrier which is a pay as you go no contract Verison sub company. It is unlimited talk, text, data, and HOTSPOT for $40/mo but if yo get another line (with any firend or familiy) it comes down $5. The hotspot is limited to something like 5 or 6 mpps but again, it's unlimited.

So we now have two different providers with two unlimited full speed hot spots and a backup 5 or 6 mpps hotspot for when ATT doesn't have coverage......ALL for just $85/mo
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:31 PM   #7

I use the Orbee from US Cellular anywhere you get us cellular reception you have internet
Josephsugden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:49 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Combo of starlink, Google fi cellular (tmobile) and AT&T all in SD-Wan with automatic transfer. I'll be making a video about it soon, I rather need-out about it, haha
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Combo of starlink, Google fi cellular (tmobile) and AT&T all in SD-Wan with automatic transfer. I'll be making a video about it soon, I rather need-out about it, haha
Looking forward to that video. Sounds about like what I've been imagining, but haven't been smart enough to piece together yet.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:00 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i have an old grandfathered unlimited verizon plan on a hotspot for the bus. at home i have starlink,

i'll be upgrading my gUDP to starlink soon. i use about 2 months of travel internet a year. 2 months of starlink RV service plus the equipment is about the same as 12 months of verizon service.

verizon has been great but camping service is sketchy in the mountains. when it does work, its overloaded and competing for towers and is slow.

my hotspot runs between .5 -1 mbs, my starlink is usually aroun 120 mbs.

i want the in motion antenna for starlink. my delay in switching to starlink mobile is the cost of that in motion antenna. my next trip is july,,, so between now and then, i'll probably bite the bullet.

i just got a rate increase from starlink too, going up $10/ month because im in a saturated area.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i have an old grandfathered unlimited verizon plan on a hotspot for the bus. at home i have starlink,

i'll be upgrading my gUDP to starlink soon. i use about 2 months of travel internet a year. 2 months of starlink RV service plus the equipment is about the same as 12 months of verizon service.

verizon has been great but camping service is sketchy in the mountains. when it does work, its overloaded and competing for towers and is slow.

my hotspot runs between .5 -1 mbs, my starlink is usually aroun 120 mbs.

i want the in motion antenna for starlink. my delay in switching to starlink mobile is the cost of that in motion antenna. my next trip is july,,, so between now and then, i'll probably bite the bullet.

i just got a rate increase from starlink too, going up $10/ month because im in a saturated area.
+++yea verzion used to be the best but now im always having trouble with a signal and been on the phone for hours a week trying to fix it for 3 months now. i also having trouble as i paid a phone off early about 3 weeks ago and they still want me to make a payment on it this month. when i finally get a human they see the problem but 3 times now they cant fix it so verzion sucks for reception and customer service. ill be going elsewhere soon
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
verizon is having REAL issues in my area.. since we deal with them on a telecom level,, the skinny as its been given to me is that verizon has jettisoned some LTE antenna space in favor of 5G where they have no more room to add antennas to existing towers.. they are favoring higher population / service areas.. ie if you are near a freeway but not on the freeway yopu are the first to have your antenna yanked in favor of keeping the freeway hot.. they claim to be able to resolve this without forcing everyone onto their 5G network but I suspect they are simply going to say Sorry kiddies to those on older devices.. I do notice my Telit 960 Modem does a much better job with AT&T and Tmobile as it handles all the LTE bands.. Verizon wont work on it now matter what credentials I put in so I suspect they ban IMEI numbers of anything thats not Quectel or Sierra (or obviously phones)..verizon nor cradlepoint or pepwave ever offered a product with a telit modem...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
we aren't real impressed with T-mobile either....
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:55 PM   #14

https://routeruniverse.com/
Should find it hear called an orbi from us cellular it's a modem and Wi-Fi on one it's about $76 a month and then I use a free internet number through text me now with the Orbee you'll get unlimited mobile data anywhere you get decent cellular US Cellular
Josephsugden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:25 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Looking forward to that video. Sounds about like what I've been imagining, but haven't been smart enough to piece together yet.
Got the video uploaded tonight. Hope it helps!

Old 03-01-2023, 08:14 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
That's awesome, thanks!! Just found your channel the other day. Good stuff. I'm always impressed when somebody can build a bus AND document it for others to learn from. I only have energy for one or the other
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
That's awesome, thanks!! Just found your channel the other day. Good stuff. I'm always impressed when somebody can build a bus AND document it for others to learn from. I only have energy for one or the other
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm learning as I refine my video making and editing skills (it's much harder than I thought) there's a difference between producing content that is dramatic and entertaining like 99% of the channels out there and making videos that are more practical and educational which I lean towards. It's definitely hard to setup a camera and get work done without just doing long time lapses from a corner. I tend to work an hour, video what I did during a pop/soda break, then get back to work. Plus I like listening to music while I work and YouTube is rather strict with copyright protection.

One of my new favorite channels is a Canadian who is building out a bus. He has a monotone voice but his videos sound exactly like a college lecture, same as me

Tags
internet, internet on the road, internet setup