Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Skoolie

Inverter, stereo equipment

I see the lcd tv's are popular for our buses and I can understand why. What I'd like to know since I'm considering the same is....Does everyone use a modified sine wave converter for their lcd's and other equipment or pure sine wave? Or both? And what brands does eveyone prefer that do the job for a reasonable expense(if that exists). Never owned an inverter so this is new territory for me. Been reading but opinions from real world users can't be beat. Thanks, Rep

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Inverter, stereo equipment

I have never had a problem running any piece of equipment off my inverters. Interestingly enough, though, I hooked a UPS up to it just to see and the UPS would not switch to line power so it sees it as "dirty" power. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're talking really high-end stuff. Of course, if I was running really high end stuff in my bus I would run really high end inverters feeding power supply filter cleaners anyway.

My inverters are of the Vector brand and modified sine wave variety for the record
Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

I've read a few articles about modified and true sine wave inverters. Most recommend using a true sine wave inverter, when you're using it to power oxygen concentrators, florescent lights, fax machines, laser printers, high voltage cordless tool chargers, equipment with variable speed motors, electric shavers, and garage door openers. They also recommended using a true sine wave inverter for high end electronics, but I think this recommendation was mainly out of self interest (most articles were from inverter retailers).

I don't see any problems, except for maybe florescent lights, laser printer, or fax machines. The only thing that you might have problems with is noise from the equipment.

If you want to see what's available, check http://www.invertersRus.com They carry a wide range of low priced inverters, both modified and true sine wave, and you'll be able to figure what you may want.

BTW, there are many other sites with the same equipment, so check around the web. Also remember, in many cases, you get what you pay for.

If you have any other questions, drop me a line.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I have never had a problem running any piece of equipment off my inverters. Interestingly enough, though, I hooked a UPS up to it just to see and the UPS would not switch to line power so it sees it as "dirty" power. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're talking really high-end stuff. Of course, if I was running really high end stuff in my bus I would run really high end inverters feeding power supply filter cleaners anyway.

My inverters are of the Vector brand and modified sine wave variety for the record

That's funny , UPS uses a modified inverter whenever you lose power. Maybe it doesn't like eating it's own.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That's what I found so interesting about it.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks y'all. I figured a modified sine wave inverter would be the ticket. No I'm not planning on running high end stuff, just run of the mill stereo goodies and tv. I see the vector brand a lot. Are they reasonably quiet?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I run all my equipment, including high power audio amps and LCD tv and computers off my modified sine wave inverter.

This is what I have noticed, the devices such as the computer, satellite receiver, and LCD tv/monitors work fine and you do not need to worry about them. This is because they convert everything to DC power before it even reaches the device. Anything with a power brick you should not notice any kind of effects as they convert to DC and are manufactured to run with a large range of voltage.

The amplifier for my big speakers, the VCR, and the normal tube television I had all show interference and noise when used on the inverter. When a generator of shore power is plugged in the interference immediately goes away. My normal setup consists of watching TV from the satellite and listening to music over the amps through the computer. When listening to music the interference is not so much as to be an annoyance.

NOTE: The thing that seems to provide the most interference is from the engine when it is running. Remember when you bought an old corvette with a radio they come with shielding around the plugs and wires, well my engine produces a lot of interference and watching tv over the air is possible but a bit annoying. You also here an immediate increase of interference in the audio system that increases with engine speed.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

While you are talking about converting AC to DC does a UPS have a enough capacity to charge my house batteries and how much current do you think they can handle doing so? I have a charger/controller that I took out of a tent trailer to charge my house batteries and the controller itself is going haywire, the transformer is fine and it will put out about 35 amps I think. I wasn't planning on charging at that rate but would like 10 or 15 amps at 13.5 or so and some reliability in doing so. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I am talking about DC because that is what "electronic" devices run on. Devices like a computer, LCD tv, cell phone charger, and satellite receiver all run on DC even though they have a AC input. They will convert the AC coming in to DC which it needs. Because it is doing its own conversion it as able to vary the amount of current it uses to maintain a constant DC output. This means devices that run on DC (internally) will work fine on any type of AC input.

Yes a UPS will have enough capacity to charge your house batteries, depending on how small it is it could take an unreasonable amount of time to do so however. There should be a rating on the UPS someplace. Also note that almost all large UPSs run on 24 V not 12 V so you will need to connect your batteries up in pairs.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I guess I can get a battery charger and steal the control out of it to keep my batteries charged. Any other ideas? sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Skoolie

Oh I almost hate to do this. I'm going to show my inexperience and ignorance. What the hell is a UPS besides those brown vans with the brown people?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Uninteruptable Power Supply

They are like a surge protector and then some used to protect sensitive electronics (computers mostly). Basically, they will allow line voltage to pass through and power the equipment so long as it is at the correct frequency and voltage. When the power supply is not acceptable they switch to a battery backup within milliseconds. There's more to it than that, but think of them as a surge protector/power inverter/converter type of a deal. Most of the time you can get them for next to nothing because organizations would rather replace them whole unit than pay for the batteries.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

UPSs also have a built in automatic transfer switch which makes them a nice tool to use in your bus as a charger/inverter/transfer switch
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

A ups is a uninteruptable power supply. it contains batteries to protect the load against a power interuption. The better ones include circuitry that will provide the load with a very stable sine wave. It takes the ac from your recepticle and turns it into dc to charge the internal or external batteries then it inverts the dc back into ac and supplies the load. That is why the sine is so good because your machine just made it and nothing but your electrical load is on it. See ya at camp Zoe, be there or be square.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

rep i did not know either so ill back you up mail?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb
A small inverter for each item is better than a large inverter. The reason is large inverter uses more electric. When on solar it matters. A small inverter for each appliance that you shut off and shuts off the appliance. Less usage than a large do everthing inverter. I think I read this on a boondocking page.
seems everyone has their own opinion. I use my bus for everything. mostly partying, but also camping, festivals, bar hopping, etc. I much prefer to have 1 big inverter over several small ones. It's much easier, especially when your batt voltage begins to drop, for a 2000 watt inverter to start a 700 watt appliance than it is for a 750 watt inverter to do the same. The smaller inverter has a tendency to overload and shut itself off, especially with lower battey voltage when it's asked to run a load anywhere near it's capacity. I do however like to keep a smaller cheap inverter on board to use as a backup.....like a 750 watt. It's no fun when someone spills their jellow shot on top of the 2kw inverter and the magic smoke escapes.....the lights go out and the party is over unless you have a backup plan....

i use the cheapest inverters i can find. Modified sin wave. I had a coleman 2KW inverter in the old bus. The next bus had a "chicago electric" inverter which was identical to the old one, just a different label. They're about $200 on the net for a 2kw inverter.

I agree with steve that anything with an internal or external transformer tends to run just fine off of modified sin wave. One of the very few things that would not run off of my inverter for me was a 110v charger for my palm pilot. It simply would not charge with this dirty power...and i have no idea why. As a side note...Dewalt cordless tool chargers are designed to run on dirty power. they do just fine with inverters, or even generators that aren't producing good clean power. I've plugged hundreds of devices into my inverters over the years and had almost no problems.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Oh I almost hate to do this. I'm going to show my inexperience and ignorance. What the hell is a UPS besides those brown vans with the brown people?
I'm sorry about that, I just forgot to spell it out. My Bad

Normally, I'll put the abbr. in parenthesis, but this time I forgot.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
A ups is a uninteruptable power supply. it contains batteries to protect the load against a power interuption. The better ones include circuitry that will provide the load with a very stable sine wave. It takes the ac from your recepticle and turns it into dc to charge the internal or external batteries then it inverts the dc back into ac and supplies the load. That is why the sine is so good because your machine just made it and nothing but your electrical load is on it. See ya at camp Zoe, be there or be square.
Dave
Dave, you're really talking about high end stuff here. Normally, the UPS, that I can afford, only does modified sine wave. Heck, maybe that's changed since I plugged a scope on one.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Allow me to apologize sir, I guess I am refering to some high end stuff, where I work We exclusivly use Eaton Powerware they are top shelf. They are used by norad and the pentagon etc. They also build a modified sine wave by pulse timing, but it is a damned fine one. I was trying to help out earlier, but I really don't know that much about the smaller units. I don't have any smaller than 500kva at work. I hope that I didn't muddy the water too bad.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

As the talk is about inverters, etc. I thought that I'd chime in: Costco has 1000 watt Xantrex inverters fo $39 (& I bought 2).
They came into the store 3 months ago at $59, and were reduced to $49, and are now $39, which includes the $10 instant rebate.

At this price it would seem that an inverter dedicated to a specific load makes economical sense. Such as an inverter dedicated to a refridgerator.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote