Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
I expect the mobile option will cost 1.5-2x as much as the non-mobile option. I also expect as bandwidth capacity becomes saturated, unlimited data to become an additional charge. For a minimum 5x improvement compared to current solutions, depending on how you use the internet, the value proposition is worth the additional monthly outflow if you can axe your mobile data plan.

I know the value prop is there for me. Multiple laptop computers running archiving scripts (archiveteam.org), terabytes of online backup, DI.fm HQ streaming as background music, HD videoconferencing & streaming, torrenting, and a digital nomad profession makes me a super heavy bandwidth user.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:22 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Does anyone know what the hardware requirements might be for a mobile install? What you might want to stub out through the roof in order to support the necessary hardware when it becomes available?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:50 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i was on the waiting list for just under a year! last week i got my starlink.

i'm rural and its the only high speed option i have, i just went from 1mbps to 300mbps. wow, 2 videos playing at the same time...crazy.

as far as i know, startlink has applied for a permit for a mobile antenna. the permit was pulled from the fcc only a month or 2 ago. they havent developed the mobile bit yet.

on the home unit, a single cable passes thru from outside, inside. the cable is a coax size cable, the ends are similar to a usb connection. the simple instructions were 2 pictures.

not sure about the technology of the antenna, phased array? the dish they sent can move on its own, but its only moved once since it got here, and sits looking up at the northern sky.

i think i've read that the mobile antenna is going to bigger than the home version, but small than a cable dish. fairly large, but at home on a rv roof but probably too big for a car.

right now, the satellite, sees you in a cell. the cells are about 20 mile radii. my antenna should work within 20 miles of my home. outside of that, the satellites arent looking for my antenna ip address, they just dont work outside of your service area.

it did set up easy and fast and was working 2 or 3 minutes out of the box.

set the antenna, plug the antenna to the router, plug the router to the wall. sign on.

easy peasy

i love it.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:54 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i was on the waiting list for just under a year! last week i got my starlink.

i'm rural and its the only high speed option i have, i just went from 1mbps to 300mbps. wow, 2 videos playing at the same time...crazy.

as far as i know, startlink has applied for a permit for a mobile antenna. the permit was pulled from the fcc only a month or 2 ago. they havent developed the mobile bit yet.

on the home unit, a single cable passes thru from outside, inside. the cable is a coax size cable, the ends are similar to a usb connection. the simple instructions were 2 pictures.

not sure about the technology of the antenna, phased array? the dish they sent can move on its own, but its only moved once since it got here, and sits looking up at the northern sky.

i think i've read that the mobile antenna is going to bigger than the home version, but small than a cable dish. fairly large, but at home on a rv roof but probably too big for a car.

right now, the satellite, sees you in a cell. the cells are about 20 mile radii. my antenna should work within 20 miles of my home. outside of that, the satellites arent looking for my antenna ip address, they just dont work outside of your service area.

it did set up easy and fast and was working 2 or 3 minutes out of the box.

set the antenna, plug the antenna to the router, plug the router to the wall. sign on.

easy peasy

i love it.

which one did you get ? the square one or the round one? it seems on the new version they limit you to using their router and their wi-fi device vs the older version qhere essentially ethermet came directly from dishy into the house where you could use your own router / wifi AP or have wired ethernet connection...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

i got the square one. no ethernet jack.

i ordered the ethernet adapter separate, and i just got the shipping notice tonight. i be hardwired starlink on saturday.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #26
Bus Geek

the latest I heard was Mobile was pushed from end pf 21 till end of 22.. they cited parts shortages as reasons from what some of the "in-the-know" state.. Mobile apparently will use a different comms chipset that is hard to get..

they are also feeling the cuatomer service pain as it seems theres been loads of complaints about poor / slow, or non existent customer service so im guessing they will concentrate on fixing some issues before jumping into Mobile which will undoubtedly create a customer service nightmare from NooBs trying to use it
Old 02-09-2022, 12:51 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
One of my remote bus barns/workshops in rural Iowa (I own a party bus fleet... and am working on my own skoolie for personal use) is on Elon's "better than nothing" beta. Gen1 oval dishy, obviously fixed geo. I've had it for about a year and have been impressed so far with bandwidth and reliability (and minimal downtime). I'm sure the usage ratios on my cell are significantly lower than other popular areas so that my positive experience may not be the norm

The first several months of bypassing the included wifi router and going direct from dishy to my firewall (which VPNs back to my home office for surveillance video recording) were much better. I liked that setup better, one less SSID broadcasting and got me past the triple NAT (CG-NAT to dishy NAT to my firewall NAT) to only a my firewalls NAT behind CG-NAT, but a firmware update a few months back seemed to require me to reboot dishy about every 10 days or so until I put the Starlink router back in-line - its now been up for 45 days and counting with no reboots required. I still have my firewall working, it's just on the "aux" port of the included Starlink router and behind yet another NAT. The Starlink router's SSID is running, I just ignore it.

I'm still working on my skoolie build details and am hopeful that it'll be easier to move around with Starlink (even if not truly "mobile") when I'm ready to hit the road.

PS - I work my day job as an IT infrastructure engineer. I'm not a wireless communications expert by any means, but I know a thing or two about TCP/IP networking and how the internet works under the surface.
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:51 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
I'm not sure on the source of this info or if it actually works, it was in a random youtube. It suggested that you can just reset your location on the app and the dish will then track to the satellite for that area. This is provided that there aren't too many units already on that satellite. I hope it works when I get my dish. Ordered it 2 weeks ago. Now Starlink has "Premium" service at $$$$$$$$.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:49 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
Currently you can sign back in and change your cell id and get service at different remote locations.
Currently you cannot use a Canadian system in the US or a US system in Canada.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:23 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

don't touch your service map until after you have you starlink.

the word on the web is that you go to the end of the line, if you reset your location pin.

as i understand, dishes are sent out based on service capacity of the satellite flying over your house. they ship based on availble capacity for that satellite cell. as more launches occur, more satellites will fill the "constellation" of satellites and system capacity goes up.

if you change your service address after you get your starlink, there is no guarantee that it will work at your new location while they are stil launching satellites.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:42 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
don't touch your service map until after you have you starlink.

the word on the web is that you go to the end of the line, if you reset your location pin.

as i understand, dishes are sent out based on service capacity of the satellite flying over your house. they ship based on availble capacity for that satellite cell. as more launches occur, more satellites will fill the "constellation" of satellites and system capacity goes up.

if you change your service address after you get your starlink, there is no guarantee that it will work at your new location while they are stil launching satellites.
Duly noted! Thank you for that tid bit.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
It is an interesting technology but is way too unpredictable to be mainstream viable.
As witnessed in the article below:

Elon Musk's SpaceX says a geomagnetic storm wiped out 40 of the 49 Starlink satellites it launched into orbit last week...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/e...110639310.html
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It is an interesting technology but is way too unpredictable to be mainstream viable.
As witnessed in the article below:

Elon Musk's SpaceX says a geomagnetic storm wiped out 40 of the 49 Starlink satellites it launched into orbit last week...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/e...110639310.html

its still new.. satellite internet in crappy form has been around for decades so this will get better.. for me its the difference between being stuck in crappy ohio where all i do is look at gray clo9uds all winter and living someplace warmer and sunnier like tennessee or florida (sorry california never never).

I looked at 2 plots of land in the past few months .. both had no high speed internet companies serving them.. one said they could get me hughes net (with a whopping 128K up speed).. the other could get me a 3MB down and 512K up DSL link...

the idea being that if im moviong away I may as well go someplace where i can put up that 60x80 pole barn to store my fleet of busses inside.. maybe even build a slightly bigger pole building and have a barn-do-minium (house built inside the pole barn)..

my work is internet based.. I must have good solid high speed and not whimpy stuff.. cellular isnt an option for my home base as I TX / RX far too much data for that.. so starlink or an equivalent is my ticket..
Old 02-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
At least Mr. Musk claims those 40 satellites won't remain in orbit, adding to the global space junk/dump of decades of contributions from all nations that venture out there...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
At least Mr. Musk claims those 40 satellites won't remain in orbit, adding to the global space junk/dump of decades of contributions from all nations that venture out there...
Yep These things are in a low orbit so they will de-orbit within a year and burn up in the atmosphere. It makes for less space junk.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
It's his outer space. He can do with it what he wants
(only 1/2 kidding )

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my wife has a brand new subaru that is supposed to have starlink from the factory.
i will have to ask if its activated in her car and if so how it work for her travelling.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:22 AM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
my wife has a brand new subaru that is supposed to have starlink from the factory.
i will have to ask if its activated in her car and if so how it work for her travelling.
WOW, really? I guess the mobile version is coming sooner than later!
Old 02-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #39
Bus Geek

subaru starlink is their version of chevy Mylink, ford sync 3, dodge ram Uconnect 5, etc.. its not musk starlink. its cellular.

im not sure how the 2 co exist under the same name in a "connected" technology.. but apparently they havent sued each other..
Old 02-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im not sure how the 2 co exist under the same name in a "connected" technology.. but apparently they havent sued each other..
i bet subaru was first.
"subaru" is what the japanese call the pleiades. their logo makes a lot more sense when you know that.

Tags
connection, elon musk, satellite internet, starlink