Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I had read that yesterday but am still screwed because starlink wont let me order one as it says "we expect to expand service to your area in 2023".. so since my home address (the only place i would not use it) is unavailable I cant get them to send me one..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Starlink adds portability function for $25/month. Still not guaranteed great speeds in congested areas and does not support usage in-motion yet, but a great step forward for travellers!

https://techcrunch.com/2022/05/05/st...ternet-around/
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #103
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
I just saw the tweet from Elon, Starlink RV is available.

$600 dish, $50 shipping, Sales taxes, and $135 a month. Great to have a better RV internet choice on the market.

Hopefully, by the time I get on board, the dish costs $300 and there are 3rd party mounting kits available.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I had read that yesterday but am still screwed because starlink wont let me order one as it says "we expect to expand service to your area in 2023".. so since my home address (the only place i would not use it) is unavailable I cant get them to send me one..
There are ways to get around that by using a google plus code. Just set the service address to a google plus code location that is in a Cell with availability. Then set your shipping address to your home address. Or maybe you change the address once you get the order notification? I can not remember for sure. But I watched a YouTube video the other week and there were multiple reports of that trick working. Google search should turn up some results.
Stroodle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #105
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Starlink adds portability function for $25/month. Still not guaranteed great speeds in congested areas and does not support usage in-motion yet, but a great step forward for travellers!
I can confirm the portability function works.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:18 AM   #106
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Ahh, OHIO, always on the forefront of cutting edge technology. 🤣
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #107
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Ahh, OHIO, always on the forefront of cutting edge technology. 🤣

actually with starlink RV I can get it now and it will likely work even at home since my address is technmically "active" even though its in a wait-list state..

my last comment was written before RV released
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #108
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
my last comment was written before RV released
RV looks like the same square dish. I wonder if the difference is price or something.

Should work as you suggest, but if enough people use it as a "workaround" to get starlink faster waiting lists might come to that end as well.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #109
Bus Nut

I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is between "the old starlink" with portability enabled versus the new RV service is. I checked in my account, I can only add/remove portability, I can't convert to an RV plan. It doesn't appear the hardware or pricing is different. I read somewhere that RV allows for service suspension, but what else is different?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #110

SELLING MY 1964 Super SHORTY High Top Bus
CALL OR TEXT ME
310-486-3358
mrbnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #111
Bus Geek

I think the hardware will be the same.. theres no reason to make it any different other than maybethey could come out with some different mount kits for those that want to mount dishy on their rigs.. its also likely software difference.. maybe the RV version phones home to a different server where the location is continually tracked vs portability which as i understand it requires you to still update your location?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
from my understanding...

if you have an address, you have priority service.

if you are roaming into a congested area, your service will be degraded, but you'll still have service... down to 5mbps.

same equipment

thats still faster than my 4g cell.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #113
Bus Nut

The unit I have on portability is working about 50 miles away from its "registered" address, just deprioritized (my active cell is full, can't change address to here). So portability doesn't require any address registration. In my app and in my account it doesn't even show me on a map or grid where its at, just shows the registered home address and obviously in the debug data "roaming" is set to true.

Did a little more digging. Looks like starlink put up an FAQ page
https://support.starlink.com/topic?category=26

and there is obviously a subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...bility_and_rv/

Looks like as of now the only difference is immediate shipments and ability to pause service if on RV and as of right now you cannot convert Residential+Portability to RV.

My guess is over time they are going to change the service levels between the two... I would guess that eventually RV service may get priority over portability and RV may get support for in-motion
Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #114
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
The unit I have on portability is working about 50 miles away from its "registered" address, just deprioritized (my active cell is full, can't change address to here). So portability doesn't require any address registration. In my app and in my account it doesn't even show me on a map or grid where its at, just shows the registered home address and obviously in the debug data "roaming" is set to true.

Did a little more digging. Looks like starlink put up an FAQ page
https://support.starlink.com/topic?category=26

and there is obviously a subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...bility_and_rv/

Looks like as of now the only difference is immediate shipments and ability to pause service if on RV and as of right now you cannot convert Residential+Portability to RV.

My guess is over time they are going to change the service levels between the two... I would guess that eventually RV service may get priority over portability and RV may get support for in-motion

having read that some large services like airlines and also cross-country bus / train services like Amtrak and Greyhound are seriously looking to starlink for on-board wi-fi, getting as many RVers out as possible makes good sense, read and monitor latencies and test data from RVers all over the place and see if its ready to offer as a big contract service to the others... as a business if you hose up a few RVers, you refund some free months and go on about life.. if say Southwest airlines bought it for 1000 airplanes and it didnt work, then there's hell to pay and likely a big publicity mess with it.. so get it out small then go big
Old 05-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #115
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
FAA is holding up SpaceX testing their fully reusable (F9 family of launchers discards 2nd stage) Starship launcher. Per the objections of the Fish and Wildlife "Service", they can't do a "to orbit" test launch. F9 family launches continue from all prior sites.

Starship is required for economic loft of the Starlink v2 birds which replace/augment the current ones at 10X bandwidth capacity . . .

. . . Starship also when mature drops the cost of LEO space access to the $25~$100/lb range. So, that's a big deal.

Shuttle came in around $24~$25k/lb . . .

Follow on to Starship is intended to drop costs to the point it allows self-funded immigration. Let that sink in.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:56 PM   #116
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
Follow on to Starship is intended to drop costs to the point it allows self-funded immigration. Let that sink in.
I'll be standing there waving good-bye to all those immigrants on their way to Mars, because I sure ain't going. They'll be dead in a very short time unless Musky develops a cosmic ray shield first. Mars has no moon, so there's nothing to grab onto a planetary iron core, so there's no core rotation inside Mars, so there's no molten iron core, so there's no magnetic field, so there's no magnetosphere, so there's no cosmic ray shield. Mars used to have a magnetosphere, so there was likely once a moon around Mars (hmm, asteroid field between Mars and Jupiter) and Mars does have a residual magnetic field but it's nowhere near strong enough to keep Martian colonists alive.

By the time they prove my hypothesis wrong, IF it's wrong, I'll be on the wrong side of the daisy factory.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #117
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 23
So...

Is the mobile antenna fed with a proprietary cable like the new rooftop unit?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #118
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Starlink Range Extender

Tesla Unveils Solar Range Extender Trailer

(Frederic Lambert)
Electrek.com 4 July

Tesla has unveiled a new solar range extender trailer with a SpaceX Starlink internet satellite system at an exposition in Germany.....

------------
*as if engineered using the skoolie.net communitys' imagination.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #119
Site Team

Honestly I'm surprised this is the first of this sort of trailer I've seen! It doesn't look like they spent too long putting it together, and I bet there'll be some hobbyist versions popping up before the end of summer.

(Or are there already hobbyist versions out there?)
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #120
Bus Geek

to do much good it would have to make at least 6000 watts id think.. unless you are planning on being parked for long periods of time.. ie camping out of a model X boondocked where you are there fore a few days you could gret some miles back... otherwise id think its april 1st and not july 4th

Tags
connection, elon musk, satellite internet, starlink