Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #121
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
to do much good it would have to make at least 6000 watts id think.. unless you are planning on being parked for long periods of time.. ie camping out of a model X boondocked where you are there fore a few days you could gret some miles back... otherwise id think its april 1st and not july 4th

Yup cause that's not enough solar to do jack after watching how fast the E150 dies when pulling a tiny little 6k total trailer. NINETY MILES ROFLMAO

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:05 PM   #122
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Batteries for bus AC?

[QUOTE=DeMac;475617]

Tesla Unveils Solar Range Extender Trailer

(Frederic Lambert)
Electrek.com 4 July

Tesla has unveiled a new solar range extender trailer with a SpaceX Starlink internet satellite system at an exposition in Germany.....
-----------
I believe its used to power the SpaceX Starlink antenna. Not power a Tesla car.
Seems perfect for remote scientific equipment, mobile infantry, .....any industry requiring remote data & power.

Idk, really. Maybe cars & AC too.

I strongly believe there are several members at skoole.net who could fab a more robust system.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:24 AM   #123
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by demac View Post
i strongly believe there are several members at skoolie.net who could fab a more robust system.
THIS. Yes!
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:03 AM   #124
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
I saw that Pic in another news article this morning. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish other than getting us fanboys excited about something new, haha.

My guess is this would work fine for a short commute to a big open parking lot where you could take up 2 spaces and charge all afternoon before going home? Otherwise, yeah, enough to power dishy haha.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #125
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Yup cause that's not enough solar to do jack after watching how fast the E150 dies when pulling a tiny little 6k total trailer. NINETY MILES ROFLMAO

LOL, I watched that video, no surprise.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #126
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i had a '73 ford 350 with 460. it got right at 8 mpg and had about a 12g tank behind the seat.

go ahead and laugh, but the electric has better range than that old ford.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #127
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
OK, we've gotten off the subject so I'll simply say, "no it doesn't."
Old 07-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #128
Bus Crazy

Quote:
i had a '73 ford 350 with 460. it got right at 8 mpg and had about a 12g tank behind the seat.

12 * 8 = 96 miles so....NO IT DOESN'T

And in 1973 work commutes were much shorter, gasoline was 31 cents a gallon and if you had your own tank at home they'd deliver it for 28 cents a gallon if you bought 200 or more gallons at a time.

YES normal people had their own underground tanks or tanks on stands in 1973 (and before).

My dads commute to work was LONG at 16 miles. My mothers was 2.5. When I went to work in 1977 my commute was 8 whole miles.

Now days many people think nothing of a 50 mile 3 hour commute in the big cities just to get to a place where they and their family won't be murdered on the corner and that they can afford. Heck, when I lived in Barstow California people were commuting from Los Angeles to Victorville and Barstow. A guy I knew at work went the opposite way (Barstow to LA) because he had a house in LA and was the epitome of the thug life. He got all his sleep in the two four hour legs of his daily commute scrunched up in a van seat. Four hours for a 123 mile commute. And it cost him every day, for that seat whether he was able to make the van pool or not.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #129
Bus Crazy

ev's are not for everybody. they do better when they can go on their route and be plugged in at night. as a daily commuter, it seems pretty good. as a cross country road trip, there is plenty to be desired.

pardon my error in thinking my old delivery truck was the lessor between it and the new lightning. yes, at 7000lbs my ford 350 got a bit better mileage than the lightning @13000lbs.

did you see starlink has been approved for testing in motion satellite? lets hope the next generation of antennas has in-motion capable gear.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #130
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
ev's are not for everybody. they do better when they can go on their route and be plugged in at night. as a daily commuter, it seems pretty good. as a cross country road trip, there is plenty to be desired.

pardon my error in thinking my old delivery truck was the lessor between it and the new lightning. yes, at 7000lbs my ford 350 got a bit better mileage than the lightning @13000lbs.

did you see starlink has been approved for testing in motion satellite? lets hope the next generation of antennas has in-motion capable gear.

this has been my whole thing about EVs.. use them for where the yare good.. and YES they are good for a lot of things.. NO they are not good for everything... just like remember the days of sitting in modern summer traffic in a gasoline car.. stop N go.. hoping the traffic either started to move or it rained because the temp gauge was headed north fast.. those old cars werent designed to commute. . EV's arent necessarily degined for those that drive many miles every day and dont have access to charging.. (like even city apartment dwellers).. but they are good for commutes and grovery trips and bee bopping around... and they do it BETTER than gasoline cars do... all the torque at 0 RPM means you can dart in and out of traffic easily.. they are quiet.. you can even park, lock it and leave the heat or A/C on to run a quick errand.. several now have kits where you can use your EV as back-up power at home.. .. the fact they CAN be charged at home.. anyone see lately how many robberies happen to unsuspecting people at gas stations these days?

*BUT* no they arent good for long haul road trips.. nor towing many 1000s of pounds or going off-road where you cant "carry extra miles" or for those in a hurry that could get gas in 5 minutes vs 30 to get even a small charge.. charging is only economical at home so aprtment dwellers in the burbs that dont live in hip new complexes are not good EV candidates..

HOWEVER.. governments and politics seem to state the same rhetoric.. (ALL EV or NOTHING)... or "NO EV.. lets burn COAL forever"..... the real answer is in the middle......

I have a buddy who got starlink mobile and so far says its great... he doesnt have his dishy mounted for use on the road... he simply takes it out and turns it on when he is parked (has a motorhome).. he actually likes it that way as oftentimes he parks the motorhome in the shade and has to run a wire a few feet to get the dishy in a clearing where it gets good signal.. if he had it mounted on the roof then he would have to park in the sun which he doesnt like to do... his rig has A/C but he likes the night sounds so would rather sleep with the windows open.. but the camper parked in the sun all day gets and holds way too much heat to not use the A/C at night..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #131
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
I think you're talking about portability (use away from home). That's been out for a bit and of course some people have turned it into mobile (use while moving). That's what just got cleared for testing... At least for maritime use, I didn't read the whole article to see how unrestricted mobile is.

I'll also add that some EVs can do road trips ok... Well the Tesla Model S anyway... 100kwh battery pack and access to the supercharger network. Not quite as time efficient as filling up with gas, but at $5+ a gallon 20 minutes per stop is acceptable... I usually need a bathroom break by then anyway. Now the Financially economical with up front cost factor... Probably not
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #132
Bus Crazy

Having studies the science, the politics, and the intelligence of the average American (which is sadly pretty darn low on the IQ chart). My studied observations and opinions follow. YMMV
Oh and not dinging you Cadillac, just sharing what I learned in my collegiate examinations. There is a place for these nasty environmental scars called EV's but it's a tiny TINY spot.

Quote:
this has been my whole thing about EVs.. use them for where the yare good.. and YES they are good for a lot of things..
Ahhhh but they are neither economically nor environmentally viable. And THAT is the problem.

Were they economically viable they wouldn't need subsidies at the sub component, major assembly, sales, and income tax points. People would flock to buy them at cost rather than the highly discounted cost through subsidies.

If they were environmentally viable there wouldn't be death plumes downwind of the plants that process the toxic materials necessary for their batteries and high efficiency motors. And apparently the public memory is so short that rolling blackouts and brownouts due to insufficient electrical supply has been forgotten so it's okay to massively increase the load on the electric grid..... which also has to get rid of fossil fueled and highly reliable energy supplies.

The crashes are coming to a Kommiefornia or MassA 2 chits near you.....soon.

Quote:
just like remember the days of sitting in modern summer traffic in a gasoline car.. stop N go.. hoping the traffic either started to move or it rained because the temp gauge was headed north fast.. those old cars werent designed to commute. .
So what is "modern summer traffic" in which old cars weren't designed for commuting? Are we talking 1970's modern or post 2010 modern?
1970's rigs were meant for cruising down the road and air conditioning was a fairly new and largely mis understood OPTION in cars. Of course your 1973 Mustang Mach I with the 351 Cleveland and the AC option is going to over heat. The system was designed for cruising down the highway at 100 mph (ask me how I know that car was good at that).
Today's putt putt commuter cars have higher capacity cooling systems in order to deal with the spoiled humans that demand total control of the internal environment of their black car in Phoenix during August.
However, even a low end car these days will likely manage the task due to design.
An EV? How long is your commute? Whether summer heat "requiring" AC or winter cold requiring heat, the EV is challenged.
Hybrids on the other hand, do a pretty good job but ummmm...... they're often less fuel efficient than a plain old Honda ICE from the 80's. Go figure.

Quote:
......you can even park, lock it and leave the heat or A/C on to run a quick errand..
It better be QUICK because you are definitely discharging the battery. Especially with HEAT.

Quote:
several now have kits where you can use your EV as back-up power at home.. ..
I've seen that and it's a horrible idea. One of the guys in my HAM radio Club has set up his HYBRID to power his home and that's viable. But to power your home from your means of transportation..... That's not a bright thing to do during a power outage. In fact, a local friend (another HAM) has a cousin in Texas....when they went through that big freeze??? We'll they lost power and couldn't nuke the baby bottle. Being an all electric house they couldn't use a gas range. Ahhhh the BBQ, except it was out of propane. No problem just jump in the car can go find an open propane bottle exchange or re-filler. OOOps.... They both had Tesla's and neither had sufficient charge to make the trip since they weren't recharging during the power outage.
Spread your eggs around. Don't use your potentially only transpo to power your house (remember, in a power outage there are no functioning fuel pumps.

Quote:
the fact they CAN be charged at home.. anyone see lately how many robberies happen to unsuspecting people at gas stations these days?
LOL can you say Red Herring? OH MY
Yes you did use the caveat "unsuspecting" but I don't have much sympathy for the unsuspecting. I've lost all faith in humanity over the last few years of fascists claiming to be anti fascists, catch and release crime programs, and other such "modern" policies.

Increase the chance of fire at your house because of the (not all that common) possibility of being robbed at a gas station. Here's how not to get robbed at a gas station..... Personally, I will just shoot.

Quote:
*BUT* no they arent good for long haul road trips.. nor towing many 1000s of pounds or going off-road where you cant "carry extra miles" or for those in a hurry that could get gas in 5 minutes vs 30 to get even a small charge.. charging is only economical at home so aprtment dwellers in the burbs that dont live in hip new complexes are not good EV candidates..
So they're worthless except for big city dwellers but they largely live in apartments where they can't charge them so..... they're totally worthless.
And while it might currently be economical to charge an EV..... there's this thing called supply and demand. It's a basic tenent of economics of which I'm sure you're familiar. When all these millions of utopian EV's are sucking off the swindling electrical supply (no more fossil plants remember) do we really think that ONE the existing infrastructure can support the increased demand on an ancient grid the vast majority of which is more than 50 years old? and TWO that wind and solar are going to provide not only current needs but the increased demand of these EV's?

Is a scam, sold by an guy who lives in a mansion and jets around the world telling lies about how the sky is falling. His name is Al Gore.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #133
Bus Geek

I still refuse to say EV is a scam. I also don’t claim them to be green.. cradle to grave studies show they aren’t green.. my only points again are that they are good for in town driving for suburbanites.. I’m also with you in the fact the power grid isn’t ready for millions of them .. that’s a fact which real math proves.. but again the option .. I had a Chevy volt and 90% of the time I was on EV.. obviously the gas engine is the reason I bought it.. well the fact I could dabble in EV and still drive it 1000 miles when I wanted..
the heat in that car did kill the range unless you used the gas.. modern EV uses heat pumps which typically pull 1/3 or less of the power the resistance heat in older EVs pull.. however in super cold weather resistance heat is still how an EV gets heated..

Do I like my gas cars? Sure I do.. I own 3 busses, a Hemi ram and a hybrid car.. all of them spend all or most of their time on gas.. my hybrid that gets 50 does it with many more features than the Honda of the 70s/80s did.. and yes I like features.. I’m not a rough-it kind of guy.. so 50 MPG in a car with dual. Kim ate control, 16 speakers, Navi, level 2 self-driving etc etc is much more appealing to me than an 83 civic that.if lucky had A/C…

Yes I grew up with a hot rod which overheated in traffic.. dad bought his 60 GTO convertible new … that car was always running hot till we put an aluminum radiator and parallel flow condenser in it sometimes in the early 00s..

Anyway you make a point .. YMMV.. yes. It does.. and we should have the choice of what we want to drive.. (and cook and heat).. personally living in Ohio I hate electric heat.. I’d freeze to death.. even my super fancy heat pump system that decidedly does much better than heat pumps of old can not come close to the nice warm heat of the 95% gas furnace .. I can always tell when the system has switched over from electric to gas.. last winter was so cold I just flipped the switch in January and never let it go to electric till march
Old 07-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #134
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I still refuse to say EV is a scam.

That was a typo and I'm not sure what I meant to type. The point was Al Gore's BS is the scam.
I think we agree on more than we disagree, just different ways of expressing it.
I'm all for the freedom to buy an EV if someone wants one....but I'm not at all happy about being forced to help pay for it. That's my biggest issue. Screwing with the true market forces in order to push a political agenda.
Thankfully we'll be totally off grid capable in our rig other than the occasional stop for diesel, propane, potable water, and a dump. If the grid goes down, our only problem will be finding fuel for the bus but then, veggie oil, motor oil, jet fuel, and many other possibilities abound once we hit that point. And knowing how to fire up a fuel station pumping system with a generator..... that knowledge will be priceless for a quite a few months after Armageddon.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:10 AM   #135
Bus Crazy

the portability function is old.

the mobility function just got fcc approval for development.

this should trigger development of new rooftop antennas for starlink. i read they'll probably be dome shaped, it'l be like the current dishy mounted inside a dome.

this opens up potential service for airplanes, boats, and rv's
Old 07-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #136
Bus Geek

Quote:
the portability function is old.

the mobility function just got fcc approval for development.

this should trigger development of new rooftop antennas for starlink. i read they'll probably be dome shaped, it'l be like the current dishy mounted inside a dome.

this opens up potential service for airplanes, boats, and rv's

so they are allowing 3rd party hardware dev? thats new.. always before it was just starlink equipment and that was it
Old 07-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #137
Bus Crazy

domes are speculation of what modification spacex needs to make to their satellite receivers to support in motion use.

the current generation dishy is not robust enough for mobility use. it is intended to deploy when you arrive.

the fcc just granted permission to develop the in motion version, however, there is no indication from starlink that they are doing it.

no 3rd party developer

https://youtu.be/85NdmGmCwhc
Old 07-07-2022, 11:32 PM   #138
Bus Crazy

welp, that didnt take long.

Starlink announced their maritime setup today. and ouch!!!!!

for the maritime crowd, you get twin PRO-receivers, to keep you connected. the antennas are somewhat ruggedized, but a new flat panel antenna is expected in the 4th quarter.

you buy the equipment up front for $10k and the service is $5k/month. you can turn the service off on months you dont use it.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #139
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
welp, that didnt take long.

Starlink announced their maritime setup today. and ouch!!!!!

for the maritime crowd, you get twin PRO-receivers, to keep you connected. the antennas are somewhat ruggedized, but a new flat panel antenna is expected in the 4th quarter.

you buy the equipment up front for $10k and the service is $5k/month. you can turn the service off on months you dont use it.

Why would the price be so much higher for boats than RVs?
Or is this similar to what RVs will pay?
Thanks for all the info, BTW.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #140
Bus Nut

Quote:
I still refuse to say EV is a scam. I also don’t claim them to be green.. cradle to grave studies show they aren’t green.. my only points again are that they are good for in town driving for suburbanites.. I’m also with you in the fact the power grid isn’t ready for millions of them .. that’s a fact which real math proves.. but again the option .. I had a Chevy volt and 90% of the time I was on EV.. obviously the gas engine is the reason I bought it.. well the fact I could dabble in EV and still drive it 1000 miles when I wanted..
the heat in that car did kill the range unless you used the gas.. modern EV uses heat pumps which typically pull 1/3 or less of the power the resistance heat in older EVs pull.. however in super cold weather resistance heat is still how an EV gets heated..

Do I like my gas cars? Sure I do.. I own 3 busses, a Hemi ram and a hybrid car.. all of them spend all or most of their time on gas.. my hybrid that gets 50 does it with many more features than the Honda of the 70s/80s did.. and yes I like features.. I’m not a rough-it kind of guy.. so 50 MPG in a car with dual. Kim ate control, 16 speakers, Navi, level 2 self-driving etc etc is much more appealing to me than an 83 civic that.if lucky had A/C…

Yes I grew up with a hot rod which overheated in traffic.. dad bought his 60 GTO convertible new … that car was always running hot till we put an aluminum radiator and parallel flow condenser in it sometimes in the early 00s..

Anyway you make a point .. YMMV.. yes. It does.. and we should have the choice of what we want to drive.. (and cook and heat).. personally living in Ohio I hate electric heat.. I’d freeze to death.. even my super fancy heat pump system that decidedly does much better than heat pumps of old can not come close to the nice warm heat of the 95% gas furnace .. I can always tell when the system has switched over from electric to gas.. last winter was so cold I just flipped the switch in January and never let it go to electric till march
Pontiac or Ferrari GTO? I ask because I was under the impression that 1964 was the first year for the Pontiac GTO, convertible or not, before that it was a LeMans. On the other hand I believe Ferrari started producing their GTO in 1962.

Tags
connection, elon musk, satellite internet, starlink