Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
The maritime offering right now has to be setup for commerical use, although why they didn't label it "business" or "commerical" I don't know. Higher speeds (~300 Mbps), dual stations, etc. Designed for cruise ships, oil platforms, etc. And maybe Jeff Bezos' yacht (did he ever get that bridge moved?? lol)

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:09 PM   #142
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
The maritime offering right now has to be setup for commerical use, although why they didn't label it "business" or "commerical" I don't know. Higher speeds (~300 Mbps), dual stations, etc. Designed for cruise ships, oil platforms, etc. And maybe Jeff Bezos' yacht (did he ever get that bridge moved?? lol)

OK, that makes more sense. Is that competitive with options available now (sattelite, I presume)? Or is it just so much better in terms of reliability / bandwidth it justifies increased cost?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
OK, that makes more sense. Is that competitive with options available now (sattelite, I presume)? Or is it just so much better in terms of reliability / bandwidth it justifies increased cost?
I do IT infrastructure for my day job, a few of my clients are international but none have maritime networks, so can't really speak to it directly.

I would assume ships, oil rigs, etc would be using traditional satellite service so the latency has to be better on SL. All of starlink US Ground is ~20-60 ms and traditional satellite is 100+ ms latency, physics tells me that out to sea shouldn't be much different depending on how SL has their satellite orbits set?

One facebook post I read said his company had satellite on an oil rig and was paying close to $7500/month for <3 Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up speeds. Have to take it with a grain of salt as it's another "expert" on FB but seems logical to me....
Old 07-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #144
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm getting a second cable to cut. When I do that I'm going to try to do my own PoE injection with my own router. If it works out I'll post how we did it.
i came across a facebook group - "Starlink Hacks".

they have router delete instructions for making dishy run off POE. it looks like you can cut the ends off network interface, cross 2 wires and reatttach without the modem using a poe injector instead.

not sure, but i think my bt poe switch, should work as the injector.
Attached Thumbnails
272154631_10217600261513358_4815762537708008930_n.jpg  
Old 07-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #145
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so i wonder if that allows you to use your own router and get the Public IP directly to your CPE?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #146
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
In-Motion Use is Now Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
musk keeps saying starlink will eventually be mobile.. I think right now they want to collect good data from environmanetal conditions without the added variable of dishes moving everywhere. if you put a dish at an address and measure its performance you have taken a huge variable out of the equation.. of course dishes can get de-aimed or position changed by wind or human intervention but generally the ycan know where it is .. and watch other factors like solar storms, earth weather etc and see how it performs..

once you put them in motion you introduce a whole other set of variables..

satellite TV really didnt have that issue back in the day since the original dishes were like 8 feet you didnt just put that in a bag and carry it to a campsite!
----------------

SpaceX releases a new ‘Flat High Performance’ Starlink antenna for use on vehicles In-motion
www.tesmanian.com/mobile-x-1
Evelyn J. Arevalo
Oct 25, 2022

“Starlink's new Flat High Performance designed for in-motion use is now available, delivery beginning December 2022,” said the company. “The new Flat High Performance Starlink allows users to enjoy high-speed, low-latency internet while in-motion.”

“With a wide field of view and enhanced GPS capabilities, the Flat High Performance Starlink can connect to more satellites, allowing for consistent connectivity on the go.”

The hardware costs $2,500 USD with an internet subscription fee of $135 USD per month, without a contract.

“The hardware is designed for a permanent installation on your vehicle and is resilient in harsh environments,” says SpaceX. The flat antenna can be installed on the roof of an RV to use it while cruising.

“Works on any moving land object,” said SpaceX founder Elon Musk via Twitter.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #147
Bus Nut

Quote:
so i wonder if that allows you to use your own router and get the Public IP directly to your CPE?
On the older hardware you could bypass their gear as it was powered off their own brick that was essentially a POE injector. Didn't work well for me anyway, as I've written about before, but I haven't tried messing with it for about a year now. It'd work fine for a week or so then the thing would go offline until I rebooted it. Behind their router it's been up without a reboot for going on a year now.

The new style of router can be put into bypass mode which passes IP through to your own device. That works pretty well. The direct IP assignment doesn't help much when you get stuck behind CGNAT which a large portion of the network still is, but it does avoid the double-NAT of using my own firewall . My second (newer) dish is in RV pause mode for a while so haven't played with it recently.

I think this hack was mostly designed for people who want to power dishy with 12, 24, or 48V DC instead of first inverting to 110v AC.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #148
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
The hardware costs $2,500 USD with an internet subscription fee of $135 USD per month, without a contract.
At least the service fee is reasonable, but OUCH on the up-front hardware cost. I wonder what the performance hit of not being able to align with the satellites is? Plus I would think being able to place the dish around the RV or on a pole where you can get better line-of-sight would be adventageous anyway?

I think for the extra $2k I'll stick with the traditional dishes and use cellular while driving --- of course I don't have kids in the back trying to play Minecraft on the road
Old 10-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #149
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
I suspect the increased hardware cost results from more reception and DSP circuits permitting good performance despite movement. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember speculation the mobile operation dish worked with a greater number of satellites.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:17 AM   #150
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I need to get back into this game again.. all of my cellular accounts i have combined cost way more than a starlink account would.. and of course I do have cell from my phone for any time im away from the bus..

this year has been a blurr... simply I have been travelling too much to go anywhere in the bus.. lots of trips way out west or places under reno with no parking for the bus.. so i ended up flying alot ..(did get my medallion status back with delta airlines and A-list on southwest.. so I guess theres that..)..

I just did oil changes on all 3 busses and the DEV bus oil was still pretty clear.. prob didnt need changed.. but was sad because I only used it once every few weeks around town.. thats the one I want to starlink. it will get some love again for the holiday season since i decorate it all up and cruise it around.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:17 PM   #151
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaDPerkins View Post
I suspect the increased hardware cost results from more reception and DSP circuits permitting good performance despite movement. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember speculation the mobile operation dish worked with a greater number of satellites.
It would appear you're correct. We got this marketing email today.

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20221027-201425.jpg  
Old 11-07-2022, 01:13 AM   #152
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I see Starlink announced a 1TB data cap now, I mean that's fair, not many people are going to use that per month. All the same, I've just been holding out, I almost got it before it was really released as I'd been on their list forever. It's just yet to make sense to me, even with me full time on the road soon it's not feeling like it makes much sense.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:00 AM   #153
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
You can use your own router. All the circuits to make the dish work are in the dish itself. Using the cross method above, I was able to eliminate the router and now power Dishy directly off my 24v house system.

Now, I’m looking into the in-motion dish.

-Jeremy
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I see Starlink announced a 1TB data cap now, I mean that's fair, not many people are going to use that per month. All the same, I've just been holding out, I almost got it before it was really released as I'd been on their list forever. It's just yet to make sense to me, even with me full time on the road soon it's not feeling like it makes much sense.

Well my Xfinity currently has a 1.2TB limit and then it starts charging for overage (which is insane, considering, they have different plans, so there should at least be higher limits for a plan with higher speed).

I think i saw that it would just be depriortized which i could live with. What did seem to be unfair was the limits on the business plans. Those guys pay a ton and really get hosed with the caps. I do hope this move helps balance their overall stability.

At home, i have issues staying under my xfinity cap, but i have server backups, heavy streaming, tech business work, and 100% remote work all fighting high data use. In my bus, this wont be an issue.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #155
Skoolie

Quote:
According to TechCrunch and from anecdotal experience, this is not a cap, but rather deprioitization.

In other words, if you exceed 1TB during your service period, they will deprioritize your data over others. It does not end, and really, the speeds are still not terrible. As an RV customer, you already are hit with deprioitization between 5pm and 10pm local time...during that time, I still see speeds in the 25 - 40Mbps range for upload and download of 1-3Mbps.

This definitely beats my cellular data hotspot speeds in many of the areas I stay in, at least for download. I wish the upload during peak times was better but I honestly can't complain too much.

For context, I work remotely as a data engineer and am always uploading and downloading large amounts of data. While occasionally it is inconvenient, I have never found speed throttling to be a deal breaker.

This is just my experience...take that for what it is!
Old 11-08-2022, 11:24 PM   #156
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
According to TechCrunch and from anecdotal experience, this is not a cap, but rather deprioitization.

In other words, if you exceed 1TB during your service period, they will deprioritize your data over others. It does not end, and really, the speeds are still not terrible. As an RV customer, you already are hit with deprioitization between 5pm and 10pm local time...during that time, I still see speeds in the 25 - 40Mbps range for upload and download of 1-3Mbps.

This definitely beats my cellular data hotspot speeds in many of the areas I stay in, at least for download. I wish the upload during peak times was better but I honestly can't complain too much.

For context, I work remotely as a data engineer and am always uploading and downloading large amounts of data. While occasionally it is inconvenient, I have never found speed throttling to be a deal breaker.

This is just my experience...take that for what it is!

I'll be on the road in 6 weeks so I'm debating what to do, are you happy with Starlink? What service and antenna do you have? I was thinking of avoiding them based on all I've found but I'm open to getting it.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:02 AM   #157
Skoolie

Quote:
I'll be on the road in 6 weeks so I'm debating what to do, are you happy with Starlink? What service and antenna do you have? I was thinking of avoiding them based on all I've found but I'm open to getting it.
For me, it’s been totally worth it. Do I get the same speeds I would get with my old comcast? No. Do I get better speeds than my LTE? Yep!

I think most people who are unhappy don’t really understand the limitations of the service. While it’s better than most, it does have drawbacks…as long as you understand what they are and how they affect your use, you should be fine.

Equipment wise, I have the 2nd gen square dish that I put on a pole. Inside, I converted my system to eliminate the crap router that starlink provides and run off my 24v house system. I also use a router to bind all my internet connections together to ensure “always on” connectivity, even when the SL is disconnected.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Jeremy
Old 11-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #158
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
What I need out of Starlink AFAIK is a reliable 50mpbs up an down while I am not moving. I need that roughly 8am to 8pm EST Mon. through Fri.

That's for VOIP and video conferencing for my work.

Lesser at other times is acceptable, obviously not desired.

Wondering how many people have seen a lack of such service?
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:36 AM   #159
Skoolie

Quote:
What I need out of Starlink AFAIK is a reliable 50mpbs up an down while I am not moving. I need that roughly 8am to 8pm EST Mon. through Fri.

I don’t think I e seen consistent upload speeds above 30 Mbps, and especially not between 5pm - 10pm. The e exception here is if you are not in a congested area. If you look at the starlink service map, it seems that anything WEST of the Mississippi River has better speeds than anything EAST of it.

This has been my experience as well. However, it also seems that Starlink is dedicating most of the available bandwidth to the download stream. I get why, as most people want to do things like stream entertainment/tv/Netflix, etc. rather than upload files.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #160
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:

`````````

my starlink at home runs 120mbs down, 20 up. pretty consistently.

ive seen as fast as 320 down, and maybe 50 up, but usual for me is the 120/20..
i have the second gen antena and use starlng router and anouther that runs my network.

Tags
connection, elon musk, satellite internet, starlink