Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Engine: Dt466e
New hotspot modem coming out

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...C4OIQAvD_BwE#/
saw this is coming out by the end of the year, what are your guys thoughts on it

Gambler936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
It looks like just another 4G LTE modem. You still have to buy service through a cellular provider.
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoySTL View Post
It looks like just another 4G LTE modem. You still have to buy service through a cellular provider.
It seems like all they did was take an off-the-shelf cell modem circuit board and stick in their own new plastic case. I've never done indiegogo, but it seems like every time I see it mentioned, it's somebody complaining about how the project they "invested" in never produced their product.

There is software now that will generate realistic pictures of people that don't actually exist. I wonder if that's where all the employees of that company in the listing come from. You can't support a company that large on $190,000 even in Ukraine.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I agree, looks like just another jetpack or what ever you want to call it. I would love for that to work but, in my case where the signal is weak I don't see it being any better than what I have. These things need a signal if it is weak or doesn't exist it's still not going to be any faster or stronger.

Verizon is the only game in town for me. I mostly get about 2 bars of 4G which is for the most part good enough. I usually use my phone as the hotspot because it's the one with unlimited data.

Don't you just love it when some ad says up to 90% better/faster? If it's actually only .0001% better it meets that criteria.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
We got a 4g lte wifi router from Verizon as we have no access "wired" internet. It works well and has better range for the wifi than their jetpacks. It has all the features of a router for connecting printers and other gadgets on a home network.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I would love for that to work but, in my case where the signal is weak I don't see it being any better than what I have. These things need a signal if it is weak or doesn't exist it's still not going to be any faster or stronger.

Verizon is the only game in town for me. I mostly get about 2 bars of 4G which is for the most part good enough. I usually use my phone as the hotspot because it's the one with unlimited data
We're happy with our WeBoost antenna/signal booster but it was a bit pricey...it does work though. I've seen a DIY yagi antenna that looked pretty interesting, but I'd already paid for and installed the WeBoost. Its made up of a complex system of PVC pipes and wire coat hangers and costs less than ten bucks to make. You seem to be a pretty creative and resourceful, it seems like it'd be right up your alley. DIY LTE Yagi
Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I've seen a DIY yagi antenna that looked pretty interesting, but I'd already paid for and installed the WeBoost. Its made up of a complex system of PVC pipes and wire coat hangers and costs less than ten bucks to make. You seem to be a pretty creative and resourceful, it seems like it'd be right up your alley. DIY LTE Yagi
Thanks, I'll check it out.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
So, I've had a good look at the DIY LTE Yagi. I think that will help me get my phone working at the isolated rural property where I am getting ready to move my bus so I can camp there and finish it. I will definitely build one of those antennas, after I get the bus ready to move.

I am only thinking about phone now because I don't use my cell phone on the internet, never have. I am definitely not a true Linux geek, but I have been using Linux for over a decade and have taken a couple of MOOCs about Internet Security. I do not consider Android to be a secure operating system. Its security comes mostly from the number of users it has.

It sounds like I am about to be offered a job I really want, in which case I will both need and be able to afford satellite internet.

But backup systems are always nice to have. So please, excuse my negligible knowledge of cell phone networks, but can someone please tell me if there is any way a Yagi antenna would allow me to connect to the internet with one of my laptops running Debian or Mint? Thanks for reading.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
So, I've had a good look at the DIY LTE Yagi. I think that will help me get my phone working at the isolated rural property where I am getting ready to move my bus so I can camp there and finish it. I will definitely build one of those antennas, after I get the bus ready to move.

I am only thinking about phone now because I don't use my cell phone on the internet, never have. I am definitely not a true Linux geek, but I have been using Linux for over a decade and have taken a couple of MOOCs about Internet Security. I do not consider Android to be a secure operating system. Its security comes mostly from the number of users it has.

It sounds like I am about to be offered a job I really want, in which case I will both need and be able to afford satellite internet.

But backup systems are always nice to have. So please, excuse my negligible knowledge of cell phone networks, but can someone please tell me if there is any way a Yagi antenna would allow me to connect to the internet with one of my laptops running Debian or Mint? Thanks for reading.
I don't know much about what you just said, It's all Greek to me. I do know you will definitely not be happy with satellite internet. I don't care how fast they claim to be, they still have to suffer the Earth-to-Space-to-Earth uplink. That is a lag time of at least 6 seconds. Six seconds isn't much really, but in the world of streaming, live uplink's, and information transfer, it is a deal killer! Try and have a Zoom meeting on sat internet, most frustrating thing ever in the world of meetings! If there is any way to have a 'down to Earth' connection through broadband, or LTE, do what you have to to boost that signal, you will be much happier.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Yeah, thanks, I came across that info about uplink time since I posted on this thread. I have never used Zoom, but it sounds like I am going to be offered a job teaching Academic English to Russian university students, and so I have been thinking about setting up Zoom and using it.

However, there is something even more fundamental to my internet usage patterns. I never go on the internet without being connected to a VPN I subscribe to. With a VPN I share an IP with hundreds of other people, and that IP is on google's list of troublemakers. But no one can isolate my traffic, so big brother can't watch me. But VPNs are another thing that are highly sensitive to uplink time and don't work as intended on satellite systems.

That means no satellite internet for me. And I might have to pass on the Russian gig, but I would rather do that than stop using a VPN.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What is needed is a better antenna
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Better antenna for the satellite system or otherwise? I assume you probably mean otherwise.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
I never go on the internet without being connected to a VPN I subscribe to. With a VPN I share an IP with hundreds of other people, and that IP is on google's list of troublemakers. But no one can isolate my traffic, so big brother can't watch me. But VPNs are another thing that are highly sensitive to uplink time and don't work as intended on satellite systems.

That means no satellite internet for me. And I might have to pass on the Russian gig, but I would rather do that than stop using a VPN.
I get what you are saying, but if you aren't doing anything wrong, big brother won't notice you. They have much bigger fish to fry than my lowly Amazon shopping internet surfing. Besides, I'm already a government minion, they probably know when I fart before I do!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Basically true at present, but old habbits die hard, some harder than others.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Better antenna for the satellite system or otherwise? I assume you probably mean otherwise.
No, for the hotspot modem.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Yeah, that DIY Yagi doesn't look too difficult, and it certainly isn't expensive. I will probably give that a shot just to see if I can get it to work. .