Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 01:25 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Engine: DT 466
Compressor running Air hammer?

We have a 26ft international bluebird we are getting ready to do the inside roof panels and need to remove rivets. Will the air compressor be able to handle that?

Crimethinc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Depends on the air compressor. A small pancake one might work but you might have to break 30 seconds every rivet and let air build up. A large compressor is best. I used a medium 2.5hp 6 gallon jobsite compressor but every 5-10 rivets I would pause and let the tank fill with air. I wasn't worried about duty cycle because I have been unable to break this specific compressor through years of abuse. If you have a small one and want it to last, make sure it runs below it's duty cycle (probably like 4 out of 10minutes)
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Are you referring to the bus engine's air compressor? If so, then yes...especially since rivet removal with an air chisel requires just short bursts. If you don't yet have an air chuck installed in your bus air system, please watch our video (at youtube.com/rollingliving) about adding an air horn and accessories to your bus so you tie into the right place. I also made a video about removing rivets with an air chisel, like you're considering.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote