Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Found leak. What tools would I need for DIY fix, or should I go to mechanic??

Here's a video

http://https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_LDZneRX9AUSQY09Twz2odef9h-NDo7V/view?usp=drivesdk

The line It's leaking from is metal not rubber. Any suggestions?

DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #2

From video it look like coming from brake line hose but if the metal line is leaking then replace the whole line
Diesel bus fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel bus fun View Post
From video it look like coming from brake line hose but if the metal line is leaking then replace the whole line
Thanks for responding. I'm researching how to DIY this and I'm reading from multiple sources that i should bleed the brakes after replacing the faulty line. Will bleeding the brakes require that i remove the wheels?
Old 02-19-2024, 03:30 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
Rusted brake line is a huge safety issue. Replacing rusted metal brake lines is a job for professionals. Most likely more than one rusty line needs replacement, and it might involve replacing fittings and hoses too. And the brakes will need to be bled, preferably with pressure bleeding equipment.
Do not drive this vehicle with leaking brake fluid, you are one small step away from no brakes at all!
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:48 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can fix broken brake lines yourself typically.. if the steel limnes are leaking you can source new lines pretty easily.. if pre-bent lines are not available for your vehicle then you can source bulk line in various lengths.. you need to get a a steel tubing bender and learn to use it. if you properly calculate the bent line length you can buy the proper length lines withy the flares and nuts already installed.. if you cant find proper length then you need to source a steel brake line flaring tool... ( its not the same as a plumbing flare tool!!) brake lines use a 45 degree double flare...

despite the fact you can find copper tubing on the internet.. brakes use STEEL LINES! not copper tubing!!

if the brake hose is bad, buy that from a parts supplier for your vehicle.. they are usually vehicle specific and you must have the correct ones.. incorrect hose length can result in kinking, or too short hoses on steer axles which results in stretching. or contacting of the tire or rotor...

bleeding is easiest done with 2 people, however a single-person brake line bleeding kit has done me well as im often doing brakes solo.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post
Rusted brake line is a huge safety issue. Replacing rusted metal brake lines is a job for professionals. Most likely more than one rusty line needs replacement, and it might involve replacing fittings and hoses too. And the brakes will need to be bled, preferably with pressure bleeding equipment.
Do not drive this vehicle with leaking brake fluid, you are one small step away from no brakes at all!
Thanks Jimmythomas. I'm pretty comfortable DIY'n stuff so long as I have the proper tools and instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you can fix broken brake lines yourself typically.. if the steel limnes are leaking you can source new lines pretty easily.. if pre-bent lines are not available for your vehicle then you can source bulk line in various lengths.. you need to get a a steel tubing bender and learn to use it. if you properly calculate the bent line length you can buy the proper length lines withy the flares and nuts already installed.. if you cant find proper length then you need to source a steel brake line flaring tool... ( its not the same as a plumbing flare tool!!) brake lines use a 45 degree double flare...

despite the fact you can find copper tubing on the internet.. brakes use STEEL LINES! not copper tubing!!

if the brake hose is bad, buy that from a parts supplier for your vehicle.. they are usually vehicle specific and you must have the correct ones.. incorrect hose length can result in kinking, or too short hoses on steer axles which results in stretching. or contacting of the tire or rotor...

bleeding is easiest done with 2 people, however a single-person brake line bleeding kit has done me well as im often doing brakes solo.
Thanks Cadillackid. My local autozone has everything you mentioned including "AGS Poly Armour 3/16in X 25ft PVF Steel Brake Line Tubing Coil". If I found I needed hoses I'd order them from partsgeek most likely. Where can I get the single person brake line bleeding kit you mentioned?