Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Needing an AD9 OTR vs OEM

Greetings! Needing to order an AD-9 dryer, the OEM bendix ones are $488 and the OTR branded ones at Fleetpride are like 139$. I know the old phrase of you get what you pay for but that's a huge price gap? Normally OEM is like 50 bucks more or something and the choice is easy. Anyone have any experience with Fleetpride OTR stuff?

Replacing because I don't think it's ever been serviced and it's dripping oil out the purge valve.

https://www.fleetpride.com/parts/air...ryer-otr065225

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive been running the fleetpride units for years without issues.. in fact i have found it simpler to simply get a whole new fleetpride AD-9 than it is to change the dessicant element.. havent had an issue yet.

that said oil out of the purge valve doesnt necessarily mean the dryer is the issue.. it could mean the rings on the compressor are letting by more oil than they should.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks. I will order one up. Yes I hope itís not the air compressor. Itís on that blue bird with the c7s and only 90k miles. But looking over all the records I donít see where or any note it was ever serviced

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive been running the fleetpride units for years without issues.. in fact i have found it simpler to simply get a whole new fleetpride AD-9 than it is to change the dessicant element.. havent had an issue yet.

that said oil out of the purge valve doesnt necessarily mean the dryer is the issue.. it could mean the rings on the compressor are letting by more oil than they should.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:09 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
For the Bendix units are there any maintenance items for them?

Air tool oil somewhere to maintain them? I've never had to service one of these and mine still works fine, but want to keep it that way.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

There job is to keep water and oil out of your air system to make sure your brakes work flawlessly. They don't require anything besides replacing the cartridge. ideally yearly but every coupe of years is more realistic.

This is on my 2008 Bluebird oil might not be dripping out of it but it's pretty nasty. Looking at the fasteners I don't think it's ever been off of there before

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post

Air tool oil somewhere to maintain them? I've never had to service one of these and mine still works fine, but want to keep it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0845.jpg  
Old 01-21-2024, 06:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post

the main maintenance item is to replace the dessicant cartridge.. it only has so many cycles before it cant effectively pull moisture any longer..

if you drive in cold weather, making sure the heater works is also a good idea.. if you see icicles hanging from the purge valve, there may be a heater issue..

also making sure your air system is as tight as possible.. air leaks mean the system runs more air through the dryer and compressor spends more time on vs off..

if after a trip you drain your air tanks and get a good amount of water and / or oil then it can mean the air dryer isnt doing its job well.. obviously it wont take all moisture out esp in damp weather but you shouldnt have any more than a few drops or a quick mist when you drain your tanks..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote