Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2022, 04:31 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
I had some more time this evening to look over the photos from Pizote (thanks Bamabus). Here are some comparisons to what I have and what Pizote had.

In this combo photo, my bus is at the top, two brass fittings between on a steel shelf, with two T fittings connecting the two laying between them. In the second photo (left) is a diagram to help install this system (service bulletin from Pizote). Third photo (right) is a photo of Pizote's bus after removing several parts and connecting remaining things together. Fourth photo (bottom) is the legend of parts.

(edit) the separate photo I added to try and imitate what Pizote did. It's unclear what the orange tubes are doing. On Tuesday I'm going to try calling the school district transportation office and see if they can tell me what and where things are.
Attached Thumbnails
Combo2.jpg   MDB Bus suggestion.jpg  

ManDogBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:54 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
I am currently traveling and donít have more than my phone with me. I can reply and provide additional photos later in the week when I return home.

Basically, I removed the solenoid and connected the tree legs together with a T - I thinkÖ itís been a long time.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDogBus View Post
I did look at them and saved those to my computer for later use. Those wiring diagrams are too abstract for my untrained mind, it looks like total gibberish , and it's much harder for me to understand if that is what mine looks like especially when I don't know electrical diagram shorthand. If these printed numbers/letters are the names on the wires, I can definitely check that, but I feel like wires could be any color/code that they might want to use in the moment.

I'm heading to a BBQ and will work on this again tomorrow.

Really, thanks everyone for your help so far!
You are way in over your head. I would suggest you find a local helper/ mechanic that can help you, one on one, understand those wiring diagrams.

If I were you, I would try to visit a local school bus maintenance shop, talk to the shop manager and see if they would help you at least identify where the lockout circuit is located on your bus. That might be the easiest and fastest way for you to move forward.

This bus stuff has a huge learning curve so if you don’t understand gibberish I suggest you take you tube gibberish lessons!
It’s not hard just takes a commitment to want to learn.

Take a look at the doc on post #35 of this thread, it has a simple electrical troubleshooting doc which you might benefit from.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/a...s-25055-2.html
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:15 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
I am currently traveling and donít have more than my phone with me. I can reply and provide additional photos later in the week when I return home.

Basically, I removed the solenoid and connected the tree legs together with a T - I thinkÖ itís been a long time.
Thanks so much for the reply, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

It's done!

Thanks to Bamabus, I was able to get into contact with sure_whynot who has the same age, engine, size, and features of my bus. We talked on the phone earlier today and he walked me through the process and everything works great now.

In the next few days I'll write up an in-depth tutorial on another post and hopefully that will help future people.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:48 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I used to maintain a fleet of buses with lifts. I can almost guarantee your that your issue is ELECTRICAL and has to do with the safety interlock system. The buses I worked on had a number of interlocks related to the lift, any one of which was not activated and the lift wouldn't work. In addition, a number of interlocks prevented brake release regardless of lift status.
Main door, all emergency exits (even the windows), gear selector position, etc.
One of our buses fried a board in the interlock system and the replacement was about $2500. Seven relays, some wire, and 30 spade terminals later, we had a functioning interlock.
You're going to find a micro switch, relay, frayed wire, or something in the safety interlock system.

Learn to read those schematics, figure out the wire numbers that could cause your situation, and trace them out. You're going to find SOMETHING that's missing, broken, or disconnected.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:20 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I used to maintain a fleet of buses with lifts. I can almost guarantee your that your issue is ELECTRICAL and has to do with the safety interlock system. The buses I worked on had a number of interlocks related to the lift, any one of which was not activated and the lift wouldn't work. In addition, a number of interlocks prevented brake release regardless of lift status.
Main door, all emergency exits (even the windows), gear selector position, etc.
One of our buses fried a board in the interlock system and the replacement was about $2500. Seven relays, some wire, and 30 spade terminals later, we had a functioning interlock.
You're going to find a micro switch, relay, frayed wire, or something in the safety interlock system.

Learn to read those schematics, figure out the wire numbers that could cause your situation, and trace them out. You're going to find SOMETHING that's missing, broken, or disconnected.

Thanks, I removed the parking brake interlock system today and was immediately able to drive it to it's new temporary resting spot.

Are you saying that I need to look further, or were you just responding to the first post?
Old 06-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I was responding to the original post and got called away. When I got back to the screen several hours later I didn't start over and you apparently found the issue and I missed that post.
I'd still recommend learning how to read schematics. I know they look intimidating but if you think the ones for buses are bad, imagine the ones I learned on when I was working on the F4 Phantom. When you have a machine that you know is going to get holes put through it you make double and triple redundant circuits.....any one of which could be causing issues. Our buses are a piece of cake (after that experience).
At the very least get a wire number list for a bus from the builder of yours and within a few years of yours. Wire harnesses are built on jigs and it expensive to design and build new jigs so jigs are used for years or even decades until major tech changes require changing the harnesses.

In our bus the right front over wheel turn signal lamp didn't work. First thing, check the bulb it's good. Next make sure the wire is connected it is. No power to the wire. Wire chart says wire ## (54 I think but it doesn't matter). I find 54 at the main panel and yep there is cycling power present with the turn signal lever activated. Since I'm experienced, I went to the far back of the bus (the harness goes down the drivers side, across in the back and then up the passenger side to get the 15 feet from the box to the turn signal (this I knew because there isn't a crossing harness except in the back).
Flashing power present at the far rear drivers side. Next I go to the passenger side far rear harness connector and sure enough there is power flashing on wire 54. BUT, there is no wire or even pin in the other side of the connector to bring wire 54 forward!!!!!! Problem solved.
Solution: cross a wire from drivers side harness to the turn signal as that and one other wire (mid way top clearance lamp) allowed removal of the entire passenger side harness.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

I drove trucks coast to coast and 18 wheeler wreckers if it has sat for a while the brea pads are stuck to the drum check the break canisters to see if they are turning the shaft to the wheel. Push button on dash go under bus and hit the edge of the drum with a two pound Hammer the vibration should shake them loose or if they are disc brakes the pads are stuck and the caliper pistons are rusted and they will not release you must replace the calipers
dozr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think crown_guy identified your problem. I'm a school bus driver and we have some wheelchair lift buses in our garage. If the wheelchair lift door is not fully closed (with the latch down) you can't pop off the parking brake. If you disconnected the wires leading to the sensor that determines if the lift door is closed or not, that would produce your problem here.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:42 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
It's done!

... everything works great now.

In the next few days I'll write up an in-depth tutorial on another post and hopefully that will help future people.
Thanks everyone!
Just in case some miss that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If you disconnected the wires leading to the sensor that determines if the lift door is closed or not, that would produce your problem here.
That is exactly what happened in the course of a roof raise and lift delete. He was wanting a more permanent solution, of which he found, to avoid future issues.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

As a wrap up, this issue was solved!

https://youtu.be/Sbuj5hCEnXA
Here is the vlog/video I made/posted which included how I removed the interlock system

When I have time, I hope to make a more detailed and shorter video detailing just the air brake related interlock removal process. After removing this part everything worked perfectly.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #53
Skoolie

My wheel chair lift in my international had a safety to the door that if for was open the brakes would not disengage... the yellow button was soft and would have no air pressure behind it. Turned out the switch at the side handicap door was open up to a little and rain got in and rusted the switch on that door release... the rust prevented electrical connection so the bus thought the door was open and would not let the brakes be disengaged. I sprayed the heck out of it with pb blaster and worked the switch in and out like 25 times and viola it was fixed. Good luck
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks, I removed the parking brake interlock system today and was immediately able to drive it to it's new temporary resting spot.

Are you saying that I need to look further, or were you just responding to the first post?
Glad you got it going
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, bus advice