Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Thanks for the tip on the green hydraulic mineral oil. Could be a good track to check : the liquid seems petroleum based, not alcohol based. Even though, I do not believe it would deteriorate orings ?
I also drove couple thousand miles since last work was performed on brakes in February, including steep hills in the Appalachian mountains : I assume I would have noticed something weird maybe ? I am still baffled. I have a hard time building a scenario in my head that fully make sense.

Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #22
Almost There

Now, I am doing more research on the hydraulic mineral oil : it indeed will swell seals designed for glycol based systems. This is pretty much how my orings look like. And because it is a brake fluid used in brake systems designed for that, I may not have noticed any difference during braking, except that slowly but surely my orings were swelling. So this brings me back to the last place that serviced my brakes : an International dealership that I called to check what DOT brake fluid they used (even though none showed on the bill which must be a miss on their side). Now I am going to call them back and see if they use hydraulic mineral oil in their shop.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:34 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
That seems like the most likely scenario. You mentioned having the fluid tested. Have you done so yet?

I wish you the best, but even if they did mistakenly add the wrong fluid, if it wasn't actually itemized on your invoice, especially after so much time, I can't see you getting anywhere. That said, maybe its a problem they're aware of (new employee making the same mistake to other vehicles), and hearing your story wish to make it right. Stranger things have happened.

Alpine44... If it was LMH, would you expect the fluids to separate the way the Seb describes?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #24
Almost There

I found a company that can do the analysis, but now the shop is telling me that they discarded the fluid despite my clear instructions . So now I only have the picture. They flushed the system, replaced the master cylinder. Rear calipers seals are dead too, some additional $$. Waiting for their first test drive. Stupid question : we only have liability insurance. If they have an accident during the test drive - let’s say brakes not functioning… - will their insurance cover damages to the bus ?
Old 08-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1 View Post
I found a company that can do the analysis, but now the shop is telling me that they discarded the fluid despite my clear instructions . So now I only have the picture. They flushed the system, replaced the master cylinder. Rear calipers seals are dead too, some additional $$. Waiting for their first test drive. Stupid question : we only have liability insurance. If they have an accident during the test drive - let’s say brakes not functioning… - will their insurance cover damages to the bus ?

im assuming a truck center is like a car shop.. if your vehicle is parked in their shop anbd it burns down by accident your imnsurance covers it.. if their employee is driving you vehickle and wrecks it then the shop's insurance covers it.. at least thats how it was when a shop employee got in a fender bender with my oldsmobile years ago going on a test drive..

when my dad's GTO got stolen from the shop where it was in for repairs, it was determined that a shop employee had stolen the car after hours and gone for a joy ride.. lost it , spun out and smacked a curb ruining the suspension.. the shops insurance covered that one since it was a shop employee and the vehicle was left in the shops care.. had it just been srtolen and the guy run away without getting caught.. it wouldve been dads insurance..

wierd huh...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote