Old 03-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #1

Year: '46?
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy Big Bolt
Engine: 216 putt-putt
Rated Cap: 35mph downhill with push
1 bus in hand 1 in head

Hello all! I just posted my first in the COVID-19 thread as that seems to be a very current topic our world is facing before I could do this proper into to myself. Sorry about that won't happen again.

So, like the title says, I am pursuing 2 project busses:
1. In hand: 1946?? Chevy truck Wayne body bus. Joint skoolie project with longtime friend. Stalled project as it still sits at the yard we got it from because it needs tires to roll onto a lowboy while the split rim Chevy Big Bolt wheels are Stupid Dangerous and one piece wheels in this pattern are made from unobtainum. Seller is the scrap metal collecting desert rat type that has philosophical discussions with his cat and isn't entirely sure my buddy and I are not Government Agents out to steal his lucky charms.
Youtube walkaround video:

2. In head: toy hauler wanted. I am thinking ~40' FE flatnose with ~6.5' ceiling. Rear cap neatly sliced off and hinged for rear garage door and vehicle ramp setup. I am torn between school bus and shuttle bus. The school bus is silly strong if interior room is available (at least 14' rear garage length or slightly more) while the shuttle already has the room and some have the potty already. Co-pilot door/seat a definite + if possible. Garage takes up lots of feet in back so I am studying the other toy hauler threads this board is hosting, I have already learned I had some terrible ideas I won't be trying as others have already BTDT. Thanks in advance for saving me lots of time/trouble Skoolie!

Meanwhile, the dune buggy is UFO (Unbelieveably Fun Object) and this bus idea would be the mothership. For the buggy types out there, she is a replica of an EMPI Imp made by Unique Supply in the 2000s before the economy tanked the business. It's an exact copy of the 2nd generation Imp body first made circa 1970. They sold several hundred of these bodies in that decade and are still available today from a fella in Michigan IIRC. Because of the roof cage at about 6' the taller ceiling is wanted.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160212_104337.jpg (206.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg impbuggyinhobbyshop.jpg (78.7 KB, 2 views)
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
The 46ish will be a fun project. You may do well to read through Tango's build.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/4...orty-6539.html

Warning, it has over 4000 posts.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Neat project. About the rims, I am going to say that most everyone is afraid of them, but they are not that dangerous, yes they need to be handled with care but the outright fear is just that. From a practical standpoint running an antique tire size makes it hard to get replacements on the road. Is this more of a restoration or are you planning a modern drivetrain? If a modern drivetrain then use a differant axle with modern wheels. If you want to stick with the old Chevy wheels and axle I believe Stockton wheel service can take you old rims and replace the outer part with a tubeless rim while keeping the center portion original. They are in California.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The 46ish will be a fun project. You may do well to read through Tango's build.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/4...orty-6539.html

Warning, it has over 4000 posts.

Thanks for the reply! Yep I saw Tango's thread over a year ago and I have been thru *most* of it. My buddy likes the shorty bus and he wanted to cut our 46 down to that length but I am trying to keep this length.....it feels kinda like closet space, you never have enough. Our hats are off to Tango for his work, the cockpit is smaller than newer wider busses and all that firewall sheetmetal work for the 4BT swap must have been challenging!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Neat project. About the rims, I am going to say that most everyone is afraid of them, but they are not that dangerous, yes they need to be handled with care but the outright fear is just that. From a practical standpoint running an antique tire size makes it hard to get replacements on the road. Is this more of a restoration or are you planning a modern drivetrain? If a modern drivetrain then use a differant axle with modern wheels. If you want to stick with the old Chevy wheels and axle I believe Stockton wheel service can take you old rims and replace the outer part with a tubeless rim while keeping the center portion original. They are in California.

Thanks for the reply! We need to move the bus to another storage place but we don't want to sink the money needed into getting tires for these old wheels since we don't have plans to run the old drivetrain. We could probably winch the bus onto a lowboy but getting it back off a trailer will be another issue.

This bus was built before highways and we are more interested in keeping up with traffic than crawling down back roads. Modern drivetrain swap is the rough plan.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:25 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO pilot View Post
Thanks for the reply! We need to move the bus to another storage place but we don't want to sink the money needed into getting tires for these old wheels since we don't have plans to run the old drivetrain. We could probably winch the bus onto a lowboy but getting it back off a trailer will be another issue.

This bus was built before highways and we are more interested in keeping up with traffic than crawling down back roads. Modern drivetrain swap is the rough plan.
Wheel dollies?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
My bus was hauled home on a lowboy. To get it off I used my dodge truck in low range with a long tow bar to pull it off. The bar gave me a way to stop it, instead of using a chain which would let it roll into me. A tow dolly may well be good to have as well. No telling if there are stuck brakes
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote