Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: international
Chassis: 3000
Engine: dt466e
Rated Cap: 77
17A our new bus

Hello everyone,
after lurking, gleaning, and enjoying this site for the last few months i've pulled the trigger on a full size bus, soon to be a skoolie. we live on a tiny island in nc accessible only by ferry. the two school busses on the island are both white. we'll be the only yellow bus in the district haha.
we're looking to do a full conversion for coast to coast travel as well as a home on acreage as i build our stick frame house. i have extensive building experience as i have worked in the trades for 20 years. we're also lucky to be living on ocracoke island where many of my close friends are skilled in areas that i will need help with...
the bus- unnamed as of yet -is a 2003 international 3000, 77cap, dt466e, md3060 with 207k miles. it ran in hilly elkins, wv and was serviced regularly. we just won the auction an hour ago and i'm trying to save my excitement for a time hopefully next week when it is with us on the island.
without all the time i spent following and digesting all the great information here on skoolie.net i would not have been nearly as decisive and confident in my purchase. thanks to each and every one of you for the help.

derek and callie

BarefootTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Congratulations!! Sounds like a good bus to start a build!!
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Congratulations on the new bus. Im new here too
And just in the reading and learning stage.
(More confused then before)
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Ocracoke's a beautiful place.....my uncle used to have a place in Avon we used as a base while exploring up and down the OBXs. Will you bring your bus down 12 from Manteo or over on the Swan Quarter/Cedar Island ferries?

You've got a great drivetrain in that bus.....good luck with your build!

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopanegas View Post
Congratulations!! Sounds like a good bus to start a build!!
thanks, took a lot of digesting of information and opinion before choosing. when i saw the elkins busses i was ready.
we aren't far from you, if you come to the island look me up. i'm not hard to find. that goes for you too plfking.
i'll most likely come home with the bus down hwy 12 as they are running nearly 30 trips per day on the hatteras ferry run until november. and its free (for now).
Mark carr- keep reading, absorbing, searching threads and things will begin to clear up for you. it took me hours of reading before i felt like i had a clue. i'm still a newbie, but at least a well read newbie...
Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Ocracoke's a beautiful place.....my uncle used to have a place in Avon we used as a base while exploring up and down the OBXs. Will you bring your bus down 12 from Manteo or over on the Swan Quarter/Cedar Island ferries?

You've got a great drivetrain in that bus.....good luck with your build!
i've been following your build. i was not surprised you appreciated my drivetrain haha
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootTarheel View Post
Hello everyone,
after lurking, gleaning, and enjoying this site for the last few months i've pulled the trigger on a full size bus, soon to be a skoolie. we live on a tiny island in nc accessible only by ferry. the two school busses on the island are both white. we'll be the only yellow bus in the district haha.
we're looking to do a full conversion for coast to coast travel as well as a home on acreage as i build our stick frame house. i have extensive building experience as i have worked in the trades for 20 years. we're also lucky to be living on ocracoke island where many of my close friends are skilled in areas that i will need help with...
the bus- unnamed as of yet -is a 2003 international 3000, 77cap, dt466e, md3060 with 207k miles. it ran in hilly elkins, wv and was serviced regularly. we just won the auction an hour ago and i'm trying to save my excitement for a time hopefully next week when it is with us on the island.
without all the time i spent following and digesting all the great information here on skoolie.net i would not have been nearly as decisive and confident in my purchase. thanks to each and every one of you for the help.

derek and callie
Fantastic! Do you have any pictures of your bus from the auction?

I love NC. We vacationed in the outer banks a couple of years there.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #8

I'm hoping to take some pictures next week when I get the bus home. There were about 10 total pic's on govdeals but they are lost to me now.
I lived for 5 years in northern CA. I love it out there too. Nice to hear you've been down this way. We don't see many West Coaster's on the banks.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
I'm hoping to take some pictures next week when I get the bus home. There were about 10 total pic's on govdeals but they are lost to me now.
I lived for 5 years in northern CA. I love it out there too. Nice to hear you've been down this way. We don't see many West Coaster's on the banks.
I think you can log in at GovDeals and view all your bids and what they were on and retrieve the pics that way. What was the transaction number?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
I am looking for land now to build my bus. One of the states on my list is North Carolina. I love North California but it's so expensive to buy and live.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
We will be camping on the Outer Banks this winter!! Hope to look you guys up!! If you are ever by Greenville stop by for a meet and greet!!
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
I am looking for land now to build my bus. One of the states on my list is North Carolina. I love North California but it's so expensive to buy and live.
i was living in norcal 7 yrs ago and i know prices haven't dropped since that time. feel free to use us as a resource in your "north state" hunt. from murphy to manteo...

here's 4 of maybe 12 total pic's that were shared by the school district.
Attached Thumbnails
bus1.jpg   bus2.jpg   bus3.jpg   bus4.jpg  
Old 10-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopanegas View Post
We will be camping on the Outer Banks this winter!! Hope to look you guys up!! If you are ever by Greenville stop by for a meet and greet!!
we do end up in g'vegas occasionally, will certainly reach out next time. i assume camping means a tent, or will you be camping in the bus this winter? def let me know when your obx bound, it'll be fun to start meeting the skoolie.net family in person.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
i was living in norcal 7 yrs ago and i know prices haven't dropped since that time. feel free to use us as a resource in your "north state" hunt. from murphy to manteo...

here's 4 of maybe 12 total pic's that were shared by the school district.
I might take you up on your offer for NC land hunting. I am looking at buying in the Dec/Jan when prices are lower.

Your bus looks great!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
i'm still a newbie, but at least a well read newbie...
And being well-read means you'll know which questions to ask. I always feel for the folks who pull the trigger without their due diligence beforehand, then run into problems with the situation.

I've never known why a bridge doesn't link Hatteras and Ocracoke? Too little traffic to justify the cost?

The Busted Flush
Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
I might take you up on your offer for NC land hunting. I am looking at buying in the Dec/Jan when prices are lower.

Your bus looks great!
thanks. i'm hoping for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
And being well-read means you'll know which questions to ask. I always feel for the folks who pull the trigger without their due diligence beforehand, then run into problems with the situation.

I've never known why a bridge doesn't link Hatteras and Ocracoke? Too little traffic to justify the cost?
plenty of traffic to ocracoke, but in the fifties when the h.c. bonner bridge was built, connecting nags head to hatteras island, ocracoke was not the tourist attraction that it is now. which in turn helped to preserve it's rich history by insulating it from "progress". many of us here would bemoan a bridge even if it ended up simplifying our travel to and fro.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
many of us here would bemoan a bridge even if it ended up simplifying our travel to and fro.
Totally get that. "Progress" leads to more traffic, fast food joints, strip malls, and rustic decay. Keep what you got.

The Busted Flush