Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
1986 Gillig Phantom

So it's 0530 Thursday morning here in Redding CA; I am eating breakfast at local hotel. I flew in to Northern California yesterday from Washington DC.

I have never in person actually seen the bus I am buying, but the seller will be (he better be) meeting here at 0700 to complete the deal and hand over the keys. At that point I intend to swing thru a local Walmart to pick up some supplies, and then solo I will head east, first over the mountains to Reno, then onward.

My goal is to make the ~2900 mile trip back to Southern Maryland in 4 days with New Years Day as a fallback 5th day. I asked the seller to take out a few rows of seats so that I can put an air mattress down to sleep on...

I hope to spend Friday night at a good friend's house in Chappell Nebraska while coming across I-80, and then drop down to I-70 thru Kansas City, and on and on...

eBay link to the bus, henceforth to be known as Comfort Eagle, is here. I was not the high bidder; he reneged. FWIW I paid $6800.

Rick
<><

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Well.....you gotta tell us something. How'd it go? And if all went well, where are those pictures at? Show her off
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Right now he's starting his third day of driving if all is going well. That's a pretty low mileage bus.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Good luck with the weather. It seems to getting weird for most of the country. Even as far South as I-20 and I-10. We are expecting icing conditions for a couple of days way down here in Houston. Be careful out there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
Well.....you gotta tell us something. How'd it go? And if all went well, where are those pictures at? Show her off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Good luck with the weather. It seems to getting weird for most of the country. Even as far South as I-20 and I-10. We are expecting icing conditions for a couple of days way down here in Houston. Be careful out there.
For those interested, I am still on the road; I spent the night at a luxurious Motel6 in Avoca, IA. SO much has happenned.

I did stay Friday night with friends in Chappell, NE. I woke up early and hit the road at 0630. About 30 east of Chappell on I-80, the drivers side of the windshield took a hit from a grouse (big bird).

It came thru the windshield low on the far left (as see from driver seat) bounced off the driver side sliding window, and wedged between the driver seat on the bulkhead. I used Gorilla Tape and cardboard to seal off the windshield. I can see thru it okay, I am just concerned about getting stopped by a LEO...

As I mentioned, I stayed at a Motel last night. I shut the bus down at about 1800, it did not want to start this morning.

First off, I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Some broken glass had gotten into the lock cylinder. I had to remove the ignition switch and clean it out with brake cleaner and WD40.

After reinstalling the ignition switch, the bus wouldn't start. It was -15F this morning. I tried the block heater but discovered it is broken (suck!). It did finally start with a shot of starter fluid right up near the intake. It has been running for an hour or so. Leaving soon; still have ~1200 miles to go.

Rick
<><
Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
So, what does Roasted Grouse taste like?

Glad to hear you and the bus are becoming fast friends. I wish you had told us you were staying in a Motel 6 as you could have mentioned my name and got upgraded to a non-homicide room.

Drive Safe !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Well that's more than would happen to most people in a decade.

Good luck with the rest of the trip.

1200 miles to go ... I'd be looking to do that without shutting the engine off again except maybe while fueling. Grab a nap in the bus with it on High Idle.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Frozen Grouse are the worst. Take your time and ride safe, bud.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
For those interested, I am still on the road; I spent the night at a luxurious Motel6 in Avoca, IA. SO much has happenned.

I did stay Friday night with friends in Chappell, NE. I woke up early and hit the road at 0630. About 30 east of Chappell on I-80, the drivers side of the windshield took a hit from a grouse (big bird).

It came thru the windshield low on the far left (as see from driver seat) bounced off the driver side sliding window, and wedged between the driver seat on the bulkhead. I used Gorilla Tape and cardboard to seal off the windshield. I can see thru it okay, I am just concerned about getting stopped by a LEO...

As I mentioned, I stayed at a Motel last night. I shut the bus down at about 1800, it did not want to start this morning.

First off, I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Some broken glass had gotten into the lock cylinder. I had to remove the ignition switch and clean it out with brake cleaner and WD40.

After reinstalling the ignition switch, the bus wouldn't start. It was -15F this morning. I tried the block heater but discovered it is broken (suck!). It did finally start with a shot of starter fluid right up near the intake. It has been running for an hour or so. Leaving soon; still have ~1200 miles to go.

Rick
<><
When I was first training to become a semi-truck driver, I was northbound on I-75 from Cincinnatti in the spring, a Canadian Goose was flying low going westbound. Well..... the goose crashed into the cab of the truck, bent the passenger side window pillar, the door frame, smashed the windshield AND the side window glass. My instructor could see what was going to happen before impact so he was slouched under the glove box area. Now, mind you the sleeper was converted to a really big bench seat. So the guys in the sleeper had NO idea what was about to happen. We both yelled "IMPACT" at the same time, but to no avail. EVERYONE in that sleeper got covered in goose goo...... After everyone called out they were ok, I laughed along with the instructor. Just looking at these four guys covered head-to-toe with goose goo/blood/feathers was just irresistible. They weren't very happy either, which added to the hilarity of the situation. I'd have been a bit ticked off I suppose as well, but all I had was some shards of glass in my hair.

The tractor was a total loss due to the extensive damage. So I can feel your pain because who needs to buy a windshield, especially now. But it brings back those memories from the early '90's when I was so green to life......

M
Old 12-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Driving cross country is a very alone thing to do. It's a good thing you're resourceful.

Now, put that grouse on the exhaust manifold for about 30 minutes feathers and all.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
Bus Nut

I finally made it home last night around 1830. This was easily the toughest road trip I have ever done. The bus performed fantastically. It's difficult to fault the bus for not wanting to start in frigid -15F temps, and with i shot of start fluid it did start right up.

A few lessons learned during my trip regarding the bus:
1) Respect the bus - A 40ft long bus is a big piece of gear. And I'm told these Phantoms have an even longer wheelbase than other RE buses. Pulling this bus into a gas station, parking lot, in town driving, etc. all take planning and an understanding of the limitations of driving such a big vehicle. This bus makes WIDE turns.

2) For me, backing the bus without a "wing-walker" or back up camera is a bad idea. The back bumper of my bus needs some serious straightening after I backed into two immoveable objects. Thankfully I did no damage to anyone else's property...

3) Even with all the heaters on my bus (drivers plus three passenger) the bus could not overcome days of temps in the negatives. I thought I would just crank up the heat and be fine. Absolutely not; It was very cold on that bus. Of course the drafts from the smashed windshield may have made it colder...

Rick
<><
Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Bus Geek

That looks like a bitter cold ride
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Comfort Eagle sounding a bit more ironic lately....

I'd be shopping for a new drivers seat cover to replace the one destroyed during the pucker
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
So it's 0530 Thursday morning here in Redding CA; I am eating breakfast at local hotel. I flew in to Northern California yesterday from Washington DC.

I have never in person actually seen the bus I am buying, but the seller will be (he better be) meeting here at 0700 to complete the deal and hand over the keys. At that point I intend to swing thru a local Walmart to pick up some supplies, and then solo I will head east, first over the mountains to Reno, then onward.

My goal is to make the ~2900 mile trip back to Southern Maryland in 4 days with New Years Day as a fallback 5th day. I asked the seller to take out a few rows of seats so that I can put an air mattress down to sleep on...

I hope to spend Friday night at a good friend's house in Chappell Nebraska while coming across I-80, and then drop down to I-70 thru Kansas City, and on and on...

eBay link to the bus, henceforth to be known as Comfort Eagle, is here. I was not the high bidder; he reneged. FWIW I paid $6800.

Rick
<><
That's a clean looking rig

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Given the time of year and the fact that the windshield is just flat glass, why didn't you have it replaced? That is a grueling drive made worse by the windshield.

You are one tough mofo.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Given the time of year and the fact that the windshield is just flat glass, why didn't you have it replaced? That is a grueling drive made worse by the windshield.
I did not investigate for long, but I did have concerns about finding a glass shop able to do a Gillig Phantom windshield on New Years weekend in Nowhere NE at -15F. Once the windshield was taped up, it seemed reasonably safe and I felt like I hade good visibility so I went for it...

FWIW, I am getting the windshield done by a local shop a few miles from my house for $279; seemed reasonable to me. The shop did have to order the blank.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Well, that is impressive to drive in those temperatures on that long of a trip. To do that with a hole in the windshield is amazing.

I'm guessing you're going to remember that drive for the rest of your life.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 AM   #18
Bus Nut

A few pics of the new bus...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171228_081523932_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171228_081624743_HDR.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Those Gilligs are awesome buses!

Glad you snagged that bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward / GMC
Engine: 6.0 GMC
WOW, those Gillig's are beautiful machines. I cant wait to see what you do with it.

And to drive it Cross Country through all the weird weather we are having. that is Amazing. Loved following the story that you have had since I joined,

To buy a bus and immediately drive it cross country... again wow. I still haven't moved mine from where i purchased it. (although it has been sitting for who knows how long)

Cant wait till you post the conversion photos. Good luck
dforeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comforteagle, gillig, phantom