Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

1993 Ford B 6.00 six window bus

Hi everyone, I hope I am doing this right as I'm not used to forums. Thank you everyone for this incredibly helpful resource. Thanks to BGA Bus Sales in Hudson, Florida, who had the exact bus I was looking for and were very helpful with lots of technical advice and details. This is a six window bus with a regular bus type front end, no handicap access, Brazilian diesel. I drove it back to Maine a couple of weeks ago with no problems other than the noise--will be trying to damp that down. This will be a camper, not a permanent home, and will have a birch plywood interior similar to the vintage camper trailers we had previously, and a few details worth mentioning as we create them. My partner and I are boatbuilders and have lived aboard sailboats for years at a time, and while there won't be anything "nautical" about what we do, the experience was helpful in deciding how much space to allocate for what purpose. We'll have twin beds in back leaving the rear door accessible and serving as couches in the daytime, a dinette and co-pilot seat on the passenger side and a galley on the drivers side with a small bathroom just behind the driver's seat. At the moment we're struggling to get insurance, waiting for custom paint colors to arrive, and making screens.

DanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Welcome! Sounds like a great plan!
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I have a Ford F800 with the 7.8 Brazilian engine and it is noisy. Kinda like a jack ass in a tin barn. Ford didn’t do a very good job of sound proofing. Just watch the belts mine goes through them fairly fast. Parts are getting hard to find now. It was used in New Holland farm machinery for a long time.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the word about the belts--I'll keep an eye on them.

There have been lots of helpful comments on here about reducing the noise and I intend to address that problem early on.

If you have any specific sources you use for parts, I'd be pleased to know about them.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The ford dealer is no help. The New Holland tractor dealer can help if they want to. Belts, filters alternators, starters some radiator hoses I have been able to get at NAPA. I would highly recommend that you install a block heater to help start it in the cold and not use starting fluid. Mine only has 100K miles on it but has 10K hours on it. It is an auger truck and has a lot of pto time. So it is getting some blowby now and will soon need to be rebuilt. Maybe next year.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #6

Thank you, that is most helpful.