Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #1

1994 Blue Bird TC/2000 - Hello and Help

Hi. New poster. Not a bus owner quite yet, but have my eyes on a 1994 Blue Bird that's been sitting at a local shop for as long as I can remember. Reached out, found the owner, talked briefly with him on phone, but haven't had time for a close in look yet and he hasn't returned my latest calls. Hmm. We'll see.

Here's what I know: 1994 Blue Bird (I'm assuming TC/2000). He says 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545... standard stuff. 11 window... he says "36ft"... maybe/hopefully a bit shorter? 134k miles. No rust (we'll see). Former church bus (whatever that means... cleaner? Better maintained? Blessed? Haha.). He stated $5k. These days... maybe not such a ripoff I think. I've paid more for worse in my life certainly haha.

Here's what I want to know: Anyone with one of these... I'm 6' 1". I have zero interest in a roof raise. Move on to a different bus? Would be okay as is? I do slouch quite a bit haha... desk jockey 9-5. This is for a weekend warrior, multi-year project (electrify in the distant future!!) for a family of 5. Size seems about right huh?? Current truck camper is... not cutting it haha.

Thanks for ANY tips... will continue to research, but my gut is telling me this might be quite a find and worth saving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2830.jpg (400.9 KB, 1 views)

BigMtnBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Unfortunately that one is a low roof model, passenger windows in line with drivers. It's as tall as you or an inch or so more. Most of my build is on the sides so the only time really you are fully erect is in the middle. So get inside and walk around and see if it's going to work for you. Former church bus means it wasn't a daily route bus, so that might be good if it was maintained like a school bus. Now if it was a church bus after being retired from the school 20 years ago, likely it has had the usual broken speedo replaced and mileage would be around 150k after 15 years. 5.9 is a decent motor, but there are better, and the AT545 is the least desirable transmission for highway speeds and mountain driving, as it has no lock up converter and is suseptable to overheating and destroying itself. Need to know where it lived it's life to know whether rust will be a concern, never heard a seller be truthful about what is hidden. Prices have been going up, but I'm not sure that's a $5k bus to me. It is not a BigMtBus.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. What you say all makes sense. I'll pass on this one and keep looking for my unicorn high-roof 9 window TC/1000.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

These show the difference in roof height. Top one low roof, bottom high roof.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

Perfect, thanks again! Reading that Blue Bird isn't the only one to make the shorter style busses. Thomas has one too I guess etc. I definitely want flat nose and <30ft. Lots to learn, lots to read.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Don't know why I posted dog nose bus, flat nose is the same though.