Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: Vortec 6000 LQ4
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
2003 Chevy Collins Shorie

Hey everybody! This is my first post but I’ve done quite a bit of reading through old threads as I begin my bus conversion. I pulled the trigger on a 2003 Chevy Collins body 5 window short bus a few weeks ago that seems to be in great shape with only 98,000 miles. I live on the east coast so it’s been too cold to paint or do much to work to the exterior other than sealing some leaks on the roof so I’ve been gutting the interior to start. I removed seats, rubber floor, and the ceiling panels. I don’t think there Is an interlock on my bus, only a buzz wire as all emergency exits have one purple wire labeled buzz 15 and a ground wire to them and would start no problem even after cutting them. I most recently removed the emergency hatches and forgot to start the bus after doing so.

Here’s where my trouble begins: When I went to start the bus this morning the starter would not crank. I admittedly have not been charging the bus since I’ve had it so I immediately thought it must be the battery. After trying to jump the battery I am still getting no response from the starter. I checked the battery voltage which read 11.75v (14v while being jumped). All lights come on but there is no cranking or turning over. I have considered trying to jump the starter to rule out a bad relay or the interlock but I am not very experienced with electrical. I’ve read threads where people have gone through a lot of trouble only to find out they simply needed a new battery. I have had my battery disconnected while I work on the bus but the temperature has been in the 30s for quite a bit . So my question is if getting a new battery should be my next course of action?

crob20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Engine: Vortec 6000 LQ4
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
A new battery didn’t help start. I followed all chords back to source and found the vandalock wire had been pulled out of the switch. It started right up after replacing the wire.
crob20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Vandalock?????

Here it is!

I didn't know so went to google.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote