Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

3 nuts and a drum set

Hello,

My name is Jana. I am the single mother of two growing boys (10 and 6). I am here getting ideas for my future skoolie.

Growing up my dad worked out of town and we were constantly traveling with him whenever school was out. The traveling bug has always been in me. Staying in one place for longer than a couple years makes me homesick for the open road.

After 9 years of marriage I have found myself having to start over in life and I plan to do it in a bus, on the road with my two children alongside.

Ideally id love to have a double decker so that my children and I can have our own private space but I think for now I will settle for a regular bus. Only thing is my youngest is a drummer so I will need room for his drum set. Challenge accepted! Wish me luck!

-Jana

GawrshImGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Well good luck to you. I hope you find a good bus and have a great time. It is good having you here. This is the best site on the net. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:27 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Jana,

Just read up on other builds, why people bought what they did, floor plans, problems they ran into, how they adapted and overcame issues, and what they learned, you will be way ahead of most of us lug-heads (me included).

As far as a drum set? Now THAT is a challenge! Sounds like an awning and portable deck are in order.......

M1031
Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Gotta love that screen name you picked. We're just starting our adventure, too. In fact, we probably won't get a bus for a couple of years yet (gotta deal with some financial issues first to stay outa debt). In the mean time, I'm lurking, hoping to learn from other peoples mistakes. I have to admire a single mom with the gumption to take on a project like this. I'm a not-so-single grampa, and still a little intimidated. Sometimes not knowing that you are totally unqualified is almost as good as knowing what you're doing. Hope things go well for you and your kids. Looking forward to meeting you out there some day.
dadelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1995
Chassis: Thomas Saf T Line
Engine: 8.3L Cummins
That is awsome, Im in the same boat. Im a single Dad, and Instead of a double decker im doing a 3 foot roof raise ( stand by to see if thats a good idea or not) for 2 large lofts so i have a loft on one end and i can split the other loft in half for my son 1 and daughter 3. Right now its only my daughter that lives with me but im planing some epic road trips in future summers when i get them both and they are old enough to remember. My thread is http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/3-...a-12833-5.html

Where are you at?
zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote