Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

A newbie looking for help from the experts

I remember seeing a converted bus a few years ago and was completely fascinated. I traveled a bit in my younger days and loved it. I have been wanting to get back on the road and travel for some time now, but it was nearly impossible.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I have the fever...bad. If a bus conversion project takes me about a year, I think I can make this dream come true!

I have been watching videos and reading non-stop and sacrificing sleep to learn all I can. I don't know how, but I came across this site a few months ago, and have been reading and learning and researching as this seems to be one of the most knowledgeable resources to get some of the best information.

Fast forward to today...
I am looking for a 8 or 9 window shorty with the wheelchair lift door in the back. I see a lot about DT444 & DT466 engines as long as they don't have the Allison 545 transmission. I plan on driving the bus as far as I can go, long drives, and higher elevations. I am in FL and have read to stay away from FL buses. Any recommendations for the best powertrain combinations and gear ratios for the travels I plan on doing?

Thanks!

channelfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Unfortunately some of the best engine/trans combos don't come in the "shorty" buses. I have a 4.78 final drive, perfect for highway use, stay away from the lower geared buses over 5.00, as well as the 545 and you'll be on a good start.
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location, better helps answer your questions.