Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #1

Question About to go pick up my first bus... Needs 1 tire.

Just bought this 39' 2004 Thomas t444e diesel. The outer driver side rear tire is shot. My friend drove it for an hour or so (with the other 3 rear tires intact) to get where she's currently got it parked in Slab City, California. I'm about an hour east of Portland Oregon. Just finished moving out of my camper, packing all my tools I can fit into my truck, got rid of the camper, now im ready to hit the road. I'm hoping I can bump into a gravel lot on my route with a ton of used diesel truck tires that match and the owner just can't wait to unload one on me. Unlikely, but a guy can hope. I plan on doing my conversion with as much reclaim and recycling and as little money as possible. I already have tubs and tubs of hardware and all the tools I should need. Anyone have any tips on finding a used tire on the cheap/free? They're 295 22.5/75 14pr 10 lug. I'm also thinking, if I get new tires instead of a used one, would I want to replace all 4 at once? Would it funky up my axle's alignment or anything if I have 1 new tire on with 3 old ones? I'll be documenting everything once the journey begins... Buckle up n stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220823-215823.jpg  

Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Standard practice

Is to keep a pair together. So instead of four you would do two. If you can get one free… screw it and use it. It sounds to me that the bus is going to spend ost of its life parked anyway.

If you are going to be rolling, spend the money on a pair of new.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:49 AM   #3

Oh, no... I wish I could stay anywhere for long enough to just do the whole thing in one go, but I've got people in every corner of this country that need my assistance with all different things. The problem with being good at a wide variety of things is I never have time to do any of those things for myself. I'm not going to let that happen with this bus. It shall be my baby and I'm going to give it at least 5 hours of my undivided attention every day until she's everything I need her to be. The goal is to have the shop double as my vending stall when I'm around large events, so I can just drop a wall down and it turns into a display/sales counter so I can start selling my work without ever leaving the bus. Just on that quest to self sustain, recycle and create beauty from the rubble.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Most truckers that need tires just change them all out at once, should be plenty of used tires at trucker style tire shops. Also schools change their tires out regularly so they have good used ones if you can talk them out of one.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:51 AM   #5

Nobody happens to know a guy for that located on the 5 anywhere in Oregon or California, I'd assume.....?
Old 08-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Hopefully you can register it in OR before you leave, as CA will def not let you register it there.

Good luck on your project and post pics if you go forward with a conversion...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2002
I'm a school bus driver. We replace tires now (summer) that wont make it through the year. Some tire shops sell or give them away cheap or for recycling fee. I just got 4 tires that way. Good luck.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
New?
Used?
I think your decision depends on your potential use.
For example:
Most of our travels are on rustic rural gravel and dirt.
We full-time live-aboard, so we get the use out of new tires.
At the opposite end of the scale:
For a stationary vehicle, 'stand-up' or 'holding air' would be the focus.
And we are keeping our two spares.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Just bought this 39' 2004 Thomas t444e diesel. The outer driver side rear tire is shot. My friend drove it for an hour or so (with the other 3 rear tires intact) to get where she's currently got it parked in Slab City, California. I'm about an hour east of Portland Oregon. Just finished moving out of my camper, packing all my tools I can fit into my truck, got rid of the camper, now im ready to hit the road. I'm hoping I can bump into a gravel lot on my route with a ton of used diesel truck tires that match and the owner just can't wait to unload one on me. Unlikely, but a guy can hope. I plan on doing my conversion with as much reclaim and recycling and as little money as possible. I already have tubs and tubs of hardware and all the tools I should need. Anyone have any tips on finding a used tire on the cheap/free? They're 295 22.5/75 14pr 10 lug. I'm also thinking, if I get new tires instead of a used one, would I want to replace all 4 at once? Would it funky up my axle's alignment or anything if I have 1 new tire on with 3 old ones? I'll be documenting everything once the journey begins... Buckle up n stay tuned.
If you plan to drive any distance. Buy two new tires. One on each side. A used tire can look great and be ready to fail in a catastrophic way that can take out the tire next to it. I speak from the experience of a former OTR owner operator and a present Skoolie full timer.

Looing for a place to build? Check out our Boondocking and building thread.https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/b...ico-34881.html

We have had a couple of guys come and do roof raises so far. We went to the skooliepalooza gathering with the last guy. Got a small pile or two of leftovers from their builds.

About 60 miles (I-10) to Las Cruces, 90 miles to El Paso. No Zoning, No Neighbors to complain. No Druggies to steal your tools.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:43 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2002
You never ever ,ever mix your dual tires . Replace both on one side or not at all. According to DOT you are to replace all four . New tires have larger diameter then old transfering all weight to outside tire and increasing wear on bearings.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Check the date of your tires, best if they are 6 years or younger. How to read DOT date codes.

Generally, you want your best tires on the steer axle. You might buy two new ones and mount them on the front axle, then put the two old steer tires together on one side of the drive axle.
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need tire advice/thoughts