Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cool Alaska Factor - Newby

We live on the road system in Alaska and I'm loving the idea of a skoolie to use with our four kids, and once we're empty nesters, using it as our lodging while doing travel nursing across the country.

I'm assuming acquiring a bus and transporting it here will add to the cost, not to mention the cost of supplies, etc. I did see where someone did buy a bus like we're looking for in Kodiak and then had it sent over on the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry.

Right now I'd like a pusher, 40 feet long and well powered, to have extra room for the family (Bunks for the kiddos). I like the idea of raising the roof. We'll be planning around some colder temperatures to maximize its use, but at this point do not plan to live in it year-round.

I realize that later if we're empty nesters, we likely won't need that much room. So perhaps we have two builds in our future.

Timber Moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Not sure what's available in AK for busses that meet your criteria, but it might be in your best interest to shop in the "lower 48" for what you're looking for.

Main reason being rust. As you are likely aware, there are many areas of the country that salt their roadways in winter. Unfortunately, those areas are prone to releasing rusty busses on the surplus market once they're done transporting kids. Assuming AK uses copious amounts of salt on their frozen roadways?

If you do your due diligence and research the site for discussions on what parts of the country to look for a prospective candidate to convert, you'll be better off in the long run.

Good luck to you...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
welcome.
my wife just flew back into fairbanks yesterday as a traveling lab tech. she will be there until february.
i am just starting a short bus build for her to use for her traveling tech. jobs.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
Looked at buses already up here, massive rust to chassis, leaf springs, etc. not worth buying an Alaskan bus , IMO, unless you find one that was garaged and washed after after use. There are several members up here that have put their builds on hold and you might be able to buy their buses but I don't know that they are for sale.

I wouldn't drive the AlCan again right now, Canada made us book 3 crappy hotels and do 1000km plus drives a day. If you're buying in the next 4 months, shipping it up is still gonna run north of 5 grand and we checked out multiple companies. Just warning you, a 40 footer is the most expensive to ship.

We bought a 35 footer in Oregon, drove the Alcan mid-November so it wasn't stuck over winter and so I can gut it in minus 20 degrees....that's gonna be the highlight of my winter ROFL removing cold rivets in a cold bus after I chase down a coolant leak and install a webasto.

You can PM me if you want details, not gonna jack your thread telling my bus story.
Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Mechanical 5.9
Rated Cap: 35 Feet
Hello

I am also doing a build in Alaska. I was able to locate a 35 footer that had been brought up from Washington with very little rust. I did look at one at a dealer in Anchorage that now has a hole in the rear wall from me pushing my finger right through. Just finished stripping out the ceiling, walls, and floor. That is something I would not like to do again, especially in these late fall/ early winter temps.
mhaisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the replies. We are expecting to need to 'go south' to the lower 48 to find our bus, and likely to an area where the buses are less likely to be rusty.

I appreciate Maligator's comments above about traveling the ALCAN HWY vs shipping. It's fun to see a number of Alaskans are on this forum.
Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
welcome.
my wife just flew back into fairbanks yesterday as a traveling lab tech. she will be there until february.
i am just starting a short bus build for her to use for her traveling tech. jobs.
good luck
I think every Travelor should consider it. An RV at least. That way you have your own place/things. Then tow a car behind and you're golden. I feel so sorry for the travel staff we have here who often end up at a glorified hotel for 13 weeks, and with no car, their only outings are cab rides to the grocery store. Just because you're a traveler, doesn't mean you have to be uncomfortable and for heavens sake, half the appeal of traveling is seeing and experiencing a new area!
Best of luck to you both!