Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

all the help please and thank you

Good morning everyone,

A little background info on me, I'm 32 single, and currently in the US Navy. I will be getting out in a little over A year. When I get out I am going to be moving to Oregon in order to go to school. With the housing market out there I don't want to buy a house or rent(it's crazy expensive out there for very little). SO the original plan was to buy an RV and live in that for the few years I go to school but being 6 foot 4, 250 lbs, I get the feeling that a run-of-the-mill RV is not going to be the greatest(mainly the shower). But it's doable I think.

SO I have a budget of around 40K, and I'm wondering just how nice of s skoolie I can make with this amount. I'm basically starting from scratch not knowing anything about anything. I really do appreciate any and all advice maybe even a few mentors that have done this kind of thing before

jacob McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob McD View Post
Good morning everyone,

A little background info on me, I'm 32 single, and currently in the US Navy. I will be getting out in a little over A year. When I get out I am going to be moving to Oregon in order to go to school. With the housing market out there I don't want to buy a house or rent(it's crazy expensive out there for very little). SO the original plan was to buy an RV and live in that for the few years I go to school but being 6 foot 4, 250 lbs, I get the feeling that a run-of-the-mill RV is not going to be the greatest(mainly the shower). But it's doable I think.

SO I have a budget of around 40K, and I'm wondering just how nice of s skoolie I can make with this amount. I'm basically starting from scratch not knowing anything about anything. I really do appreciate any and all advice maybe even a few mentors that have done this kind of thing before

Welcome, but why are you posting the same general thing over and over? This is poor etiquette on a forum, and fragments the conversation. Just post once and give it some time, this is not a huge forum, so it sometimes takes a few days to start getting answers.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Apologies, I am just excited to find out all the information that I can. it will not happen again.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #4

Dzl_… wow you were super helpful. Critiquing a new person’s etiquettes on a public forum when they are introducing themself & asking for help.. is poor etiquette.
Ccbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Good morning everyone,

First thing I'd recommend is start a design journal, and make some basic decisions about what you want to do with the rig. Skoolie life, or even weekending with a skoolie instead of an RV is not for everyone. Best to be as clear as possible about what kind of experience you want.

That also applies to the conversion process. How much of the work will you do yourself, and how much do you want to hire out? Part of that will depend on your willingness to learn as much as the amount of time you are willing to commit.

I think most folks would recommend you put the majority of your budget into the rig; that is, get the most reliable and mechanically sound vehicle you can afford. This will take some education and work on your part, so read, research and ask questions to develop your preferences based on your skoolie end goals. That will put you in a good position to actually look at rigs, which is essential if you want to end up with the best deal. Sight unseen is a terrible idea.

Recognize that in the current market finding the right rig might take six months or more. That's all right, because being a newbie you need to learn as much as you can about the systems that will be installed-even if you hire out that work. So second in priority would be to begin thinking about the key systems-plumbing, electrical, heating and air/ventilation.

What kind of kitchen do you want? Do you want a full bath? These will drive the requirements for holding tanks. Will you be okay with a simple setup for electrical, or are you unwilling to go without the microwave.

Where will you go with the rig? Will you boondock completely off grid, and if so, for how long at a time? Do you expect to just plug in at the destinations without needing battery or power generation capacity?

Watch youtube videos, but season the 'bus reveal and interior tour' videos with 'five things you need to know before you build a skoolie' videos to get a broader understanding of what to expect.

Then ask questions here. There are plenty of experienced people who are happy to help you on the journey.

And a journey it will be. Back in the early days when the city folk in the East decided to move West and become pioneers they too had the need to become educated before committing all their available resources to a long trek across uncertain geography. A bus conversion is not all that different except we have all the information the resources at our fingertips, literally, so we have no excuse not to become educated.

You will learn a lot and apply that learning. It will be rewarding, but it will also be hard at times. You may have to literally lay down in the mud to fix that freaking drip that you already fixed five times before but this time you are going to freaking get it right. And when you do, it will make you a better person.

You will probably make mistakes that are costly. You may need to scrap some component that you broke or blew up because you didn't know enough not to turn off the power before you put a wire to it. You will be angry at yourself for a stupid mistake, perhaps; but you will be even more careful with the next component, and you won't blow that one. And when you eventually succeed, and the lights come on, and the solar panels charge the batteries, and the water comes on, and you feel the hot water for the first time, you will gain from undergoing those experiences in a way that is simply not available to the average person who isn't willing to sacrifice weekends and evenings for a year or two.

Welcome to the adventure.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbeau View Post
Dzl_… wow you were super helpful. Critiquing a new person’s etiquettes on a public forum when they are introducing themself & asking for help.. is poor etiquette.

While I respect you for trying to come to the defense of a new user, I disagree, I meant it as a friendly and constructive pointer. But I can see how the choice of words may not have conveyed that well. My intent was not to be overly brusque. It was a reaction to the top 3 posts in my new posts feed all being the same thing asked on the same morning. I expect (and try not to be offended by the same treatment when I am new somewhere, and I dont have particularly thick skin).

And underscoring one reason *why* its generally poor form to start multiple identical threads at the same time, you are coming into this conversation assuming this is my only interaction with him. But this is the second of three duplicates from the same morning, the third has been deleted, and the first is where the actual on-topic discussion is taking place, and I'm taking part in that. But you can't see that, because you are replying to the duplicate, not the main discussion.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #7

Understood… thank you for your clarification! Forums can be pretty annoying & confusing to navigate- especially if you are new to one & still figuring it out.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Understood… thank you for your clarification! Forums can be pretty annoying & confusing to navigate- especially if you are new to one & still figuring it out.

Agreed, bit of a learning curve to the uninitiated 90% of which applies across most forums, but each has its own quirks, and rules, and culture, and peculiarities. I didnt mean to come off as abrasive, but tone is hard to convey through text.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Welcome new member from an Oregon retired Navy guy....well the men's department of the Navy... you know us as Marines. GRIN

What school you plan to attend should be a factor used in making your decision as far as skoolie or RV. In the more crowded areas like Portland, Eugene, Salem, you may encounter more difficulty with a skoolie, especially a bigger one, than with an RV (thinking 5th wheel and pickup here).
The larger cities spend money on enforcement and some have some strange rules.
If your school will be one like Southern Oregon University or OIT in Klamath, things are different. Smaller population and nearby public lands.

Now if you were to go with a smaller box van and do the stealth thing, the cities could be more doable.
Just so many variables.
And if you think rent is high, try a full time slot in an RV park(ing lot) in those larger cities....OUCH.
Not trying to discourage as it can indeed be done. Just trying to stimulate the mind as to some of the variables you may not have considered.
Also, we're building our skoolie but currently run an F350 and 21.5' fifth wheel. Total cost for the truck and trailer was $11,000 plus the hitch. I'm 6'1", 230 and there's plenty of room in the shower. The RV queen would be a little short for you though doable.
Your biggest issue isn't going to be what you go with but where you park it.
And if it's Southern Oregon..... give us a shout.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
You realize he copied and pasted the same post under 3 different titles. One titled the same as someone elses thread.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
First thing I'd recommend is start a design journal, and make some basic decisions about what you want to do with the rig. Skoolie life, or even weekending with a skoolie instead of an RV is not for everyone. Best to be as clear as possible about what kind of experience you want.

That also applies to the conversion process. How much of the work will you do yourself, and how much do you want to hire out? Part of that will depend on your willingness to learn as much as the amount of time you are willing to commit.

I think most folks would recommend you put the majority of your budget into the rig; that is, get the most reliable and mechanically sound vehicle you can afford. This will take some education and work on your part, so read, research and ask questions to develop your preferences based on your skoolie end goals. That will put you in a good position to actually look at rigs, which is essential if you want to end up with the best deal. Sight unseen is a terrible idea.

Recognize that in the current market finding the right rig might take six months or more. That's all right, because being a newbie you need to learn as much as you can about the systems that will be installed-even if you hire out that work. So second in priority would be to begin thinking about the key systems-plumbing, electrical, heating and air/ventilation.

What kind of kitchen do you want? Do you want a full bath? These will drive the requirements for holding tanks. Will you be okay with a simple setup for electrical, or are you unwilling to go without the microwave.

Where will you go with the rig? Will you boondock completely off grid, and if so, for how long at a time? Do you expect to just plug in at the destinations without needing battery or power generation capacity?

Watch youtube videos, but season the 'bus reveal and interior tour' videos with 'five things you need to know before you build a skoolie' videos to get a broader understanding of what to expect.

Then ask questions here. There are plenty of experienced people who are happy to help you on the journey.

And a journey it will be. Back in the early days when the city folk in the East decided to move West and become pioneers they too had the need to become educated before committing all their available resources to a long trek across uncertain geography. A bus conversion is not all that different except we have all the information the resources at our fingertips, literally, so we have no excuse not to become educated.

You will learn a lot and apply that learning. It will be rewarding, but it will also be hard at times. You may have to literally lay down in the mud to fix that freaking drip that you already fixed five times before but this time you are going to freaking get it right. And when you do, it will make you a better person.

You will probably make mistakes that are costly. You may need to scrap some component that you broke or blew up because you didn't know enough not to turn off the power before you put a wire to it. You will be angry at yourself for a stupid mistake, perhaps; but you will be even more careful with the next component, and you won't blow that one. And when you eventually succeed, and the lights come on, and the solar panels charge the batteries, and the water comes on, and you feel the hot water for the first time, you will gain from undergoing those experiences in a way that is simply not available to the average person who isn't willing to sacrifice weekends and evenings for a year or two.

Welcome to the adventure.
this is an awesome post thank you for the time. So I have already started that design journal you mentioned. the very first thing that I wanted to get figured out was the type of bus/engine/transmission I would want to get. My first step was to learn about the style of buses and I came to the conclusion that I would get the most bang for my buck in a class D bus. I even found a bluebird that was a 28 footer, that I am really leaning on making this the style of my choice( does anyone have any recommendations for the style of the bus). Luckily my brother is a heavy machine mechanic and has been working on diesel engines for most of his adult life, and the town I'm from most everyone knows everyone, so getting help is not that hard.

Basically, the layout I had in my head was a bed, full-size shower, medium size kitchen(don't want a microwave)as long as I have a stove and cooktop I'm goochie and a desk in order to do school work. other than that I didn't really think I would need more. I would like to have the capability to go off-grid, I was planning to install solar panels to help with those needs.

I've been watching youtube videos nonstop about steps to building your own skoolie and watched a few of the "top 5 good/bad reasons" I have found some literature on amazon that I was wondering was worth the money. I have to say I am used to making mistakes, it actually does not bother me to make mistakes, those are what I learn from in order to be better than I was the day before. I look forward to another reply thank you to your time.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Welcome new member from an Oregon retired Navy guy....well the men's department of the Navy... you know us as Marines. GRIN

What school you plan to attend should be a factor used in making your decision as far as skoolie or RV. In the more crowded areas like Portland, Eugene, Salem, you may encounter more difficulty with a skoolie, especially a bigger one, than with an RV (thinking 5th wheel and pickup here).
The larger cities spend money on enforcement and some have some strange rules.
If your school will be one like Southern Oregon University or OIT in Klamath, things are different. Smaller population and nearby public lands.

Now if you were to go with a smaller box van and do the stealth thing, the cities could be more doable.
Just so many variables.
And if you think rent is high, try a full time slot in an RV park(ing lot) in those larger cities....OUCH.
Not trying to discourage as it can indeed be done. Just trying to stimulate the mind as to some of the variables you may not have considered.
Also, we're building our skoolie but currently run an F350 and 21.5' fifth wheel. Total cost for the truck and trailer was $11,000 plus the hitch. I'm 6'1", 230 and there's plenty of room in the shower. The RV queen would be a little short for you though doable.
Your biggest issue isn't going to be what you go with but where you park it.
And if it's Southern Oregon..... give us a shout.
lol the men's department, whats your favorite flavor of crayon?

Thank you for the advice, I am currently going to Oregon state university and was planning to stay at an RV camp about 30 minutes away from the campus. I have previously talked to the owner ( trying to get a hold of him again to catch up) I'm not too big on staying in the city so no worries there. maybe even considering buying a piece of land up there and getting electricity and water put on it and parking my skoolie on it?? still in a planning phase.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
lol the men's department, whats your favorite flavor of crayon?

Thank you for the advice, I am currently going to Oregon state university and was planning to stay at an RV camp about 30 minutes away from the campus. I have previously talked to the owner ( trying to get a hold of him again to catch up) I'm not too big on staying in the city so no worries there. maybe even considering buying a piece of land up there and getting electricity and water put on it and parking my skoolie on it?? still in a planning phase.

Oregon planning departments are notorious for making things difficult when it comes to improving land. I REPLACED an existing home that was a 1960's single wide and it was a pain in the arse to get the permits, inspections, etc. just to get the approval (plus 3 grand for "community improvement). You'd be better off to find a place that already has power and septic because once you get a permit to install power they'd be watching and guess what....... we can't live in an RV in the state of Oregon.... well unless you're in an approved RV park that is.
If the land is zoned Farm use or Open Space Reserve.... it's even more difficult. To the point of insanity.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Oregon planning departments are notorious for making things difficult when it comes to improving land. I REPLACED an existing home that was a 1960's single wide and it was a pain in the arse to get the permits, inspections, etc. just to get the approval (plus 3 grand for "community improvement). You'd be better off to find a place that already has power and septic because once you get a permit to install power they'd be watching and guess what....... we can't live in an RV in the state of Oregon.... well unless you're in an approved RV park that is.
If the land is zoned Farm use or Open Space Reserve.... it's even more difficult. To the point of insanity.
thank you very much, for letting me know these "hiccups" I may encounter down the road. why do people have to make it so hard to live sometimes. lol
Old 11-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #15

Apparently…. He did not. Don’t be an ass.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Customs and Curtesies

Quote:
Apparently…. He did not. Don’t be an ass.
Please use the quote button, so we know who you are addressing. Again with the etiquette.

I've read your first four post on this site. Many of our peers at skoolie.net have, too.

Janet and the site team have written "sticky" threads to help address these & other issues with new members. She worked hard on the writing, please take the time to read her wisdom.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/n...tte-22849.html
(Nice is required - forum posting etiquette)

I hope this may help avoid escalating any further misunderstanding.

Welcome to the Insane Asylum

Be well,
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #17

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: CAT 3208
You would likely be ahead by purchasing one already built, then modify those areas you 'NEED' changed, pay close attention to the difference between need and want. Your remaining budget can go to keeping you more comfortable while studying.
56MkIJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Welcome!

I didn’t read all the previous posts. At 6’4” I recommend one of the taller buses. Patience and find a great platform, lots of research. Make sure bus has a 5 or 6 speed Allison. Cummins 8.3 or International 466 are best engines. Size is per personal preference.

Good luck!
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Don't worry about how many times you posted this oh, I've been here a year and still haven't figured it out. The problem I see is with your height getting a bus that will accommodate you you might try looking at bookmobiles they tend to be taller. The cheapest way I have found 2 do a bus is to find a fifth wheel that has been lightly used and is older and not worth buying a $50,000 truck to haul it. I've bought trailers for 7 to 15 thousand, removed everything EVERYTHING and used it on the bus. Up grade a few things, but keeps cost way down. I've often covered over bus windows with sheet steel and installed
5th wheel windows in. I found bus widows can be awful drafty. I will probably get cut to pieces for this advice however I've been building coach conversations almost 20 years. Has worked for me
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
Quote:
Good morning everyone,

totally depends upon the comforts and features you build in to it but my 40 bus full featured conversion was $100K, all in. $40K is not going to get you much more than a bus and a place to sleep with bare essentials.
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#help#thankyou