Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thor
Chassis: E450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Allow myself, to introduce...myself.

Evening,

My name is Tom, Im from New Jersey and Im REALLY new to Skoolies. I odnt have one yet but I recently started shopping for one after years of wanting to do it. I am on the hunt for a short/shorter school bus that I will be using as a toy hauler for my motorcycles. I wont be doing a full on camper conversion but more like an enclosed trailer that drives its self and has some amenities if I need to stay in it. I do a couple decent length trips a year as well as track days and I think this will be much cooler, easier. Now every time I set out to do something mild(like my last Jeep build) it ends up over the top, so we'll see.

Anyway, Im new here but new to forums. Im a Mod and admin on some more motorcycle forums so I wont be breaking any rules, just some stones. I hope to find a good source of what to look for and what to stay away from. Im sure Ill lurk a lot.

Nice to meet you all!

Srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #2

Hey check out govdeals.com, search by location, put in your zip code and search within 500 miles they have a ton of buses listed. Happy hunting!
OkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I love that site! I've been checking there. I'm a little worried about buying one I wouldn't be able to go check out first though so I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

I looked at an older 5 window Chevy powered bus yesterday but when I arrived there was a lot of body damage I was not told about and the back door did not seal tight any more. It was a very short visit.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Dirty Jerz

Here's a couple local nice buses with low miles I found while paroozing the interwebs, both have the seats removed. I think the freighliner has a Cat engine which i don't like. Stick with international or cummins.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1447418049321/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5363237570597/
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
Here's a couple local nice buses with low miles I found while paroozing the interwebs, both have the seats removed. I think the freighliner has a Cat engine which i don't like. Stick with international or cummins.

That's awesome! Thanks for doing that for me. I don't have a FB but my wife does. Kind of handicaps me in my search.

I was thinking a little more on the short bus sides for my needs/use and available parking.

I'm interested in this one but hard to tell the length for a newbie like me. I was searching posts on here to find ways. In guessing 25-30ft? It's international too so that sounds like a plus. Thoughts?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...920006023.html
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I think my last post is still waiting for mod review so not sure this one will post either...

What's every one think of the 6.6 Duramax from a 3500 bus.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post

Hmmm my last post to you never went through but now they work I guess. I must have misunderstood something.

Anyway thanks so much for the links. I need to find something more short bus size though. My use, plans and parking situation kind of dictate that.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
van shorty or full size shorty?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
van shorty or full size shorty?
I've been looking at both. I'd like to have 12' min behind driver seat to rear door. I was originally thinking 5 window, but I saw a 48 passenger bus I really liked and couldn't tell how long it was in the post.

I know that is a huge jump between the two but I'm super new to this and telling the busses apart and knowing which comes with which is the hardest part for me so far. I've been reading and watching builds for the last year or so but the specs and sizes still stump me.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srad600 View Post
I've been looking at both. I'd like to have 12' min behind driver seat to rear door. I was originally thinking 5 window, but I saw a 48 passenger bus I really liked and couldn't tell how long it was in the post.

I know that is a huge jump between the two but I'm super new to this and telling the busses apart and knowing which comes with which is the hardest part for me so far. I've been reading and watching builds for the last year or so but the specs and sizes still stump me.
Try going by window count as opposed to kid count.
I've got a 5 window full size and I like it. Last 2 were 6 window and also a great size.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I will eventually post the links of the 2 Im talking about but I think they will get moderated with the link since Im still new.

The Duramax is a 5 window. The international it 8 windows but the last window looks bigger. Neither have a wheel chair lift.

I have a local FD that has a bus out back for drills that I measured. It looks like each window is about 2ft. There is also about 2ft after the last window. Im assuming that gives me close to 12ft inside?

I need 6ft for the bikes, leaving me 6ft for "other" which I can make work but Id like a little more. Thats why the international caught my eye. The issue is I only really researched and planned for a Ford 7.3.

Id also REALLY like to now have wheel wells, but have a plan for working around them since its likely Ill have them.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I will eventually post the links of the 2 Im talking about but I think they will get moderated with the link since Im still new.

The Duramax is a 5 window. The international it 8 windows but the last window looks bigger. Neither have a wheel chair lift.

I have a local FD that has a bus out back for drills that I measured. It looks like each window is about 2ft. There is also about 2ft after the last window. Im assuming that gives me close to 12ft inside?

I need 6ft for the bikes, leaving me 6ft for "other" which I can make work but Id like a little more. Thats why the international caught my eye. The issue is I only really researched and planned for a Ford 7.3.

Id also REALLY like to now have wheel wells, but have a plan for working around them since its likely Ill have them.
Look for a 6-8 window with a straight six turbo diesel.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Look for a 6-8 window with a straight six turbo diesel.
Based on my measuring the one, 6-8 is what I told my buddy helping me I wanted to find. Just wasnt even sure they existed or what makes to look for lol. Thank you.

The 8 window international says it has a 466. From what I Googled its a MaxxForce DT466, which is an inline 6 right? How is its rep on here?
Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Based on my measuring the one, 6-8 is what I told my buddy helping me I wanted to find. Just wasnt even sure they existed or what makes to look for lol. Thank you.

The 8 window international says it has a 466. From what I Googled its a MaxxForce DT466, which is an inline 6 right? How is its rep on here?

The MaxxForce is the EPA Emissions equipped DT466. Up to around '04 it was a good engine (before all the emissions hardware), but the MaxxForce '05 up were plagued with problems (very expensive) with the emissions stuff.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The MaxxForce is the EPA Emissions equipped DT466. Up to around '04 it was a good engine (before all the emissions hardware), but the MaxxForce '05 up were plagued with problems (very expensive) with the emissions stuff.
I was reading about the changes with emissions on a diesel site but hoping it was still good because this bus is an 05.

I'd LIKE to have a bus by Sept for a trip my wife and I are taking even if it's not done by Sept. I can be patient thought for the right one.

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was reading about the changes with emissions on a diesel site but hoping it was still good because this bus is an 05.

I'd LIKE to have a bus by Sept for a trip my wife and I are taking even if it's not done by Sept. I can be patient thought for the right one.

Thank you!
I only buy pre-2004.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Quote:

My 93 Ford 6 window is just shy of 23' long and has 15' useable behind the driver seat. I have the Cummins straight 6 but would also be happy with a 466 or a 7.3.

International makes the 7.3 and when they stick it in a bus they call it a 444
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
My 93 Ford 6 window is just shy of 23' long and has 15' useable behind the driver seat. I have the Cummins straight 6 but would also be happy with a 466 or a 7.3.

International makes the 7.3 and when they stick it in a bus they call it a 444
Im sorry, I thought I responded to this. I wanted to say thanks for the info.

I am going tomorrow to look at a 2006 Ford 6 window with a 6.0L diesel.

I know the 7.3s are more desirable, I now know that pre 2004 is ideal for less emissions "crap" but this is a great deal price wise. The bus has all new breaks, and besides a good cleaning doesnt need much. clean title but one of the things it does need is work to/replacement of the steering column and the key cylinder (due to attempted theft damage).

Are there any reasons to avoid this configuration, and what would you experienced bus owners specifically check if you could go back to your first bus purchase again.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Ford started putting the Navistar 6 litre in pickups in late 03, people liked them for the first 150,000 kilometers after that the trucks took a steep drop in value. I have talked to die hard Ford fans who had their engines "bullet proofed" for about $7000 and claim to have got good service out of them.
https://www.autonews.com/article/201...vistar-diesels
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Ive read about people putting that kind of money into them and bullet proofing too. Im really looking for a bus with a motor that I can leave alone for the most part. Focus on the outfitting of the bus with my time and money(which I have VERY little of). I ended up not getting that bus. It was only $2k but it was in rough shape, good amount of rust and the seller seemed very shady. It just didn't feel right.