Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Almost Free Tiny House?

Thought I'd post this here. I've been scanning the CL Free listings, and it gave me the idea to build an entire "tiny house" from everything free (or almost free).

I noticed the Camper Van for $1800 had like 3 million views, so thought maybe this would bean interesting challenge.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
That's an interesting idea. It would be interesting to see just how much you can do with practically nothing to start with. I look forward to reading your build thread when you get started.
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Of course, there are so many ways to 'cheat' what is free or almost free.

I saw a video on a $400 tiny house. Turns out it was a $400 tiny bedroom, because the kitchen, bathroom, dining room, were other buildings on the property. CHEATING.

Being a trailer, the major expense of a running vehicle is eliminated, although you do need to move it somehow, so hiring a truck will still incur expense.

The real key to almost free is not getting things free, but buying and selling to make them effectively free. For example, I bought a huge used Lithium battery bank from big Yacht for $500 (who I bought it from got it free because he was at the dock when they removed it all), and then sold half of it for $500..so I have half-a-huge battery bank for free. (actually 20% was thrown away as bad first)

I bought my shuttle bus for $1200. But I'm using the cab and drivetrain as parts for my 1972 Chevy C50 Truck so you could say I sold those parts for $1200 so the bus box was free.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
almost free, tiny house