Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Am i insane?

Yep! I am hopping on the band bus and will be looking to purchase my very own after the beginning of the new year. I've been researching & planning for a few years and watched every conversion video on YouTube.
I am looking forward to getting feedback & advice once I get going.

WanderingNonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

― Lewis Carrol

Welcome to the Madness!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
i've got a really nice freightliner thomas if your interested it just came off the road 120,000 miles c7 cat allison its inspected commercial sticker email me we'll talk its in maine delivery possible its the conventional type with a nose 72 passenger handicap well maintained really good rubber local elementary school owned it also i have a 2005 bluebird vision 99% done same running gear as good same story same district had it same miles
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Mary and I have these shirts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0248.jpg  
Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have this sticker on my hard hat
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
And this one
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
And this one
I used to have one that said, more or less, "Danger! This equipment is subject to sudden starts, even after long periods of inactivity. Please do not put anything on or near this equipment."
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Bus Nut

The "I'm not all here" slogan works for me!
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
I have one on my motorcycle helmet that says:

Outta my way! I have to pee!

I came to this forum a while back when I was seriously considering converting a school bus. But life gives you a lot of twists and turns and as it has worked out, I will not be in a postition to take on such a project for quite a while. That's why I haven't posted very much. But I am living vicariously through you fine folks and I want to share some encouragement.

My user name was the name I put on the transom of a wooden ski boat I built years ago from plans I got at Glen-L.com. During the construction phase of my build, the ribbing I took from my friends and ex-wife started out as mild and good-natured. By the time the boat was nearing completion, I was being treated like a buffoon and an idiot! My boat was looking darn good and it was making a lot of people very jealous! One of the cruelest jokes was when someone suggested that I put the very longest CB antenae on the boat that I could find. The reason? ...so I could find the boat when it sank. It was no longer funny to me. (Of course, that was also the during the time I was going through my divorce and all my so-called friends were running for cover.)

Anywho, I had a thought one night and it became my signature on the Glen-L boat building forum. I will share this thought with you here:

Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

If you have friends who seem to want to question your sanity, tell them in no uncertain terms that your true friends would support you in any project you decided to take on. If they didn't, they might not really be your friends.

GO FOR IT!
WoodenYouKnowIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post

I came to this forum a while back when I was seriously considering converting a school bus. But life gives you a lot of twists and turns and as it has worked out, I will not be in a postition to take on such a project for quite a while. That's why I haven't posted very much. But I am living vicariously through you fine folks and I want to share some encouragement.

My user name was the name I put on the transom of a wooden ski boat I built years ago from plans I got at Glen-L.com. During the construction phase of my build, the ribbing I took from my friends and ex-wife started out as mild and good-natured. By the time the boat was nearing completion, I was being treated like a buffoon and an idiot! My boat was looking darn good and it was making a lot of people very jealous! One of the cruelest jokes was when someone suggested that I put the very longest CB antenae on the boat that I could find. The reason? ...so I could find the boat when it sank. It was no longer funny to me. (Of course, that was also the during the time I was going through my divorce and all my so-called friends were running for cover.)

Anywho, I had a thought one night and it became my signature on the Glen-L boat building forum. I will share this thought with you here:

Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

If you have friends who seem to want to question your sanity, tell them in no uncertain terms that your true friends would support you in any project you decided to take on. If they didn't, they might not really be your friends.

GO FOR IT!
Named my boat The Job Site, spent a lot work hours on it. Call the phone you got a message that said. "Not in the office to take your call, probably on the job site, will return your call shortly."

Sign on the wall clock "This clock will never be stolen, employees never take their eyes off it."
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:

GO FOR IT!
Excellent advice!
TeriAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Named my boat The Job Site, spent a lot work hours on it. Call the phone you got a message that said. "Not in the office to take your call, probably on the job site, will return your call shortly."

Sign on the wall clock "This clock will never be stolen, employees never take their eyes off it."
I love "The Job Site" name for a boat. That's GREAT!
WoodenYouKnowIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #13
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Quote:
I love "The Job Site" name for a boat. That's GREAT!
There's a bar downtown here called "The Office", and another one near the courthouse called "The Jury Room".

Plausible deniability paired with literal truth is a beautiful thing.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
Think about all the problems a car has. Now think about all the problems houses have. Now combine them. That’s all your problems. Good luck.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingNonna View Post
Yep! I am hopping on the band bus and will be looking to purchase my very own after the beginning of the new year. I've been researching & planning for a few years and watched every conversion video on YouTube.
I am looking forward to getting feedback & advice once I get going.
Enjoy the fun but whatever schedule you set add a few months to it & plan to do most things twice. Every bus & every build is different. Don't let thing frustrate you & know everyone goes thru this. Also you will make a lot of new friends at Home Depot, Loews or both & Amazon Prime it a necessity.

Have fun!
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
There's a bar downtown here called "The Office", and another one near the courthouse called "The Jury Room".

Plausible deniability paired with literal truth is a beautiful thing.
There was a bar near the college my cousin went to named The Library.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #17
Bus Nut

The pizza place across the street from work has a plastic sign by the cash register :

"You don't have to be crazy to work here.
We'll train you."
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote