Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #1

Another Newbe...

Hi y'all! Were getting ready to retire. Looking for a bus to convert. We stumbled accross a 2009 IH RE 42 foot ex military bus with 44K actual miles. The old bus is super clean with zero rust. We were all set to purchase, however i was reading up about the engine and got cold feet.

The bus is powered by a DT466. Everything I have read about these engines are great, until 2007. Apparently they added Def and an egr valve. They renamed the engine a Maxxforce DT. From what I have read these things can be s real pain in the butt. Everything from egr valves breaking off and damaging the engine to def systems malfunctioning.

My first thought was to buy the thing, do a delete, have the ecm reflashed, and enjoy that low mileage engine for many years.

What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks!

Gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Couldn't get me in something that new, myself. The blocks may be the same, but the software--particularly on diesels--has been attacked by the long arm of the (regulatory) law that basically tries to make it as difficult as possible and as impossible to drive as they can make things if you do an emissions delete.

And I'm assuming that it's only a matter of time until they essentially 'outlaw' the repair of things like that, so I stick with pre-emissions/pre-2008 vehicles only.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its theoreticaslly possible to do a delete on the ECM in a 07-09 Maxxforce.. the big issue is the EGR cooler on those.. the DPF and regen turned into an issue for short trips but the long haul oin a Maxxforce DT kept that decent.. they used a Variable vane turbo in 09 (unless its a 10 model engine).. then it had compound turbos.. the compound turbo setup was terrible on the maxxforce DT.. the VGT turbo could have some issues but usually just the actuator and thats not terrible to replace..

failed EGR coolers were commonplace.. (I and a buddy of mine just scrapped one this year that ran perfect when we got it.. ) the EGR cooler failed and the engine drank water.. Oops... bye bye engine....amazingly it made it to the scrap yard under its own power...

it was an 09 IC RE... we did harvest a lot of good computer and A/C parts from it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote