Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 66
Smile Another newbie.

Hi, everyone. I have been perusing the site for some time. I have a '91 BB TC2000, and this is my first conversion. I have owned it for about a month. I have gotten all of the flooring out to bare metal, ground out the rust, treated, painted, and installed 3/4 insulation. I almost have all of the old caulking off of the windows. I should have the recaulking job done here in the next few days. I am really spinning on a leaky roof hatch solution right now. I was thinking a piece of Lexan would do the trick, but all of the pieces I can find locally are very thin and I think I would like something a bit thicker. Has anyone else done Lexan to replace an emergency exit roof hatch? If so, what thickness? Anyway, I am very excited about this project! I am grateful for all of the knowledge here, it has helped me a lot so far! I basically have 2 hours/day to work on the bus, and most of the other hours in the day are spent thinking about the bus!

maigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Welcome

I have the same bus! I do not have a roof vent on mine, I have worked a little with Lexan though. Go to a window/ glass shop, a lot of them will sell small pieces fairly cheap. Ask for polycarbonate, Lexan is just the brand name. I bought a piece 1/4 thick, about a foot squared for $8. It's tough stuff. Oh, and welcome to the madness 😉.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigan View Post
Hi, everyone. I have been perusing the site for some time. I have a '91 BB TC2000, and this is my first conversion. I have owned it for about a month. I have gotten all of the flooring out to bare metal, ground out the rust, treated, painted, and installed 3/4 insulation. I almost have all of the old caulking off of the windows. I should have the recaulking job done here in the next few days. I am really spinning on a leaky roof hatch solution right now. I was thinking a piece of Lexan would do the trick, but all of the pieces I can find locally are very thin and I think I would like something a bit thicker. Has anyone else done Lexan to replace an emergency exit roof hatch? If so, what thickness? Anyway, I am very excited about this project! I am grateful for all of the knowledge here, it has helped me a lot so far! I basically have 2 hours/day to work on the bus, and most of the other hours in the day are spent thinking about the bus!
you can bend metal and make a lip around the edge, I guess you want to open it up someday and if you want a skylight cut a hole in middle, use 1/4" lexan and clear silicone caulk it.

Put your hinges at the front...
orangebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Thanks! I will check around tomorrow! The pieces I found at Lowes were $34 for a 28X30 piece, but was only .092 in thick!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebus View Post
you can bend metal and make a lip around the edge, I guess you want to open it up someday and if you want a skylight cut a hole in middle, use 1/4" lexan and clear silicone caulk it.

Put your hinges at the front...

Are you saying I could just fabricate a cover out of metal and put a hinge on it? I hadn't thought of that actually. I did consider the 'ol riveting a sheet over the hole and then cutting something in later if I wanted to. But, I do not have a rivet gun and that sounds much more complicated than screwing in lexan and caulking.. I have very little metal experience.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

It will really heat it up inside if you can't open it.
orangebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Have you looked into an RV vent. I had to buy one for a motorhome a few years ago, it was smoked lexan, and was very cheap. I bought it at a trailer shop. also, I might have some thicker (maybe 3/16 or so) plexiglass laying around. Its not pretty and quite fogged with tiny scratches, but i would cut you a piece off if needed....
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those hatches are typically all the same size and you can buy a new one if you just want the same thing there.. the sun bakes them and UV causes hairlinecracks in the plastic to where they are almost impossible to seal at some point.. if you want an easy fix tramnspec makes them
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Transpec roof hatches are very easy to replace.

New ones come with everything except for the butyl tape you will need to make the seal between the vent and the bus body.

If all you need is a new lid, you can purchase just that part of the hatch.

Standard Safety Vent

Search Results

https://www.apartswarehouse.com/Prod...ents-and-parts
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote