Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
any advice on thomas safety liner RE?

hi, im nick 26 years old and ive been thinking about buying a bus for years now and im finally serious about doing it. ive found one on a public surplus website and was looking for any input or advice on it.

YEAR: 1995
MAKE: THOMASMODEL: SAF-T-LINER ER

MOTOR: 5.9L Cummins Turbo
TRANSMISSION: Allison 545
MILEAGE: 119,260

Attached Images

nickstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstorm View Post
hi, im nick 26 years old and ive been thinking about buying a bus for years now and im finally serious about doing it. ive found one on a public surplus website and was looking for any input or advice on it.

That one of the VA busses?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Oh and welcome. I am Mike, and about to buy my first bus too. I have been looking, but have been told by many that have more experience to hold out a bit till the spring where a bunch of options will out there. But if you see the one you want now... Good luck!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
i have called my local county and they said they use the site publicsurplus.com to auction off the buses in the spring. i am just looking to get something sooner. i figure if i can get a running bus that with only 120k miles for less than 1k than im in good shape. lol my high bid right now is only 455 bucks and a day a half away from auction end. ive set myself a limit for right now so if it get bi up real high right near the end then oh well
nickstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
i have called my local county and they said they use the site publicsurplus.com to auction off the buses in the spring. i am just looking to get something sooner. i figure if i can get a running bus that with only 120k miles for less than 1k than im in good shape. lol my high bid right now is only 455 bucks and a day a half away from auction end. ive set myself a limit for right now so if it get bi up real high right near the end then oh well
I don't own a bus yet, I did a lot of research. I plan on traveling periodically so I want a bus that can do highway speed. I also want a rear engine. With some past experience with international dt466 and reading about the different transmission options... I am looking for one that has an OD.
As far as make/model of the bus it comes down to personal preference.
Any mechanically sound engine is a good base. Cats tend to be a bit more pricey to repair.
If the bus first your needs, and you can get a good deal on it, you are set! You will be ahead of me. Lol

Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Nick,

Welcome!

If you are able to get that bus for less than $1k that would be a good deal. Do keep in mind that a 5.9 and 545 in a full size bus is NOT going to win any races.

If you miss on this one, I would suggest that you spend some time reading the many "which bus is best for me?" threads and build a set of criteria for a bus that suits you best. Then go shopping for that bus.

Good luck!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
The last 20 minutes is when the price will become more realistic.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Skoolie

What kind of terrain would the bus be covering? As mentioned before, it wont be winning any races with that drivetrain, but if it is mostly flat driving and not up in the mountains you could live with it. I had a AT545/CAT combo and it would cruise along at 62mph, obviously your rear end ratio comes into play too. Something to think about if heading out on the highways. It gets old seeing the 18-wheelers passing you up every 10secs
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The last 20 minutes is when the price will become more realistic.
Some of the prices on PS have been crazy recently, Ive stopped even looking there and started to keep an eye open for the smaller local auctions.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Some of the prices on PS have been crazy recently, Ive stopped even looking there and started to keep an eye open for the smaller local auctions.
My short bus went from $750 to $1625 in about the last ten mins.
Still a BARGAIN though!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote