Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Carpenter SB 2508
Engine: Navistar DTA360 disel inline 6 cyl, 5.9L
Single Grandma here - I'm hoping to hit the road Spring 2021. I've got a 3/4 (9-window) Navistar bus that's almost complete. Just need to finish plumbing, a few mechanical thingys, and some framing-finishing. I'm very lucky to have a son-in-law with the carpentry and mechanical skills that I lack - plus he lets me park & work on the bus in his driveway!

Old 11-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Count me in! I'm not single, but my husband wants nothing to do with the bus. Says he'll fly out and meet me if I end up somewhere interesting. I just bought a bus from AAA Bus in Phoenix, CheeseWagon is going to bring it east. I can't wait!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
nice Caplansail!!
Where is east? I'm in NY.
Congratulations on getting your bus
Old 11-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Rated Cap: 72
I have encountered several women, young and old tackle a schoolie, with success. Non't let it scare ya and don't be afraid to ask for a little help from your friends.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:26 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I have been helping this girl build her bus.

You can check out her build on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1t...qutJ4Kg/videos

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/offgridvibes/?hl=en

We basically discuss what to do and how to do it, teach her how to use the tools required and man, look at her go!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #46
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
nice Caplansail!!
Where is east? I'm in NY.
Congratulations on getting your bus
Hi tobeamiss, I’ll be building in Newburgh NY, although I live in Larchmont. Where are you?
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #47

I'm not building now, but I may in the future. However, I am completely down for building with someone that wants an extra pair of hands to trade for a trip or two.
SheSins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Hi there. Another female skoolie person here. Just started a few weeks ago and the cold weather is not helping the motivation. I have a little bit of home DYI project experience, but otherwise all new to me. I am excited to move forward and would love to share the experience and have a community of support. Anyone in the Long Island, NY area? Liz
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #49
Almost There

I'm in Westchester, not far depending where you are on LI. There is also a family build going on in Katonah, a bit north of me. My bus is on it's way from AAA Bus in Phoenix right now, I expect to have it Fri or Saturday. Then I can regret my timing re: winter temperatures.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #50
Skoolie

Congrats caplansail!!! I had a portable heater with extension cord out there today😅 I am in Bay Shore, so that is western Suffolk County. Not far at all from Westchester. We have a little spot upstate, so pass through regularly...not with the bus for now. Whatcha gettin?
Old 12-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplansail View Post
Hi tobeamiss, I’ll be building in Newburgh NY, although I live in Larchmont. Where are you?
No kidding!!! I'm in Middletown . We really need to meet up. Today I'm not doing much but thought I'd start figuring out where to run my electric.... like where i want my outlets, etc.... yes it's cold outside but i have a small heater to run. I currently have all of my possessions in the bus so it's gonna be a little tricky room wise but I'll get it done. I also had to break down the bed I built so I can install the water tanks. I've been doing everything backwards lol.
This coming month I need to get alot done. I've put a goal on myself to have electric and water finished by Feb. Setting a goal is the only way I'll get anything accomplished. I'm a bit of a procrastinator... especially if I'm warm and cozy inside... I'll put it off until tomorrow lol.
Let me know if you want to get together. If love to see your bus
I love the fact there's another skoolie nearby
Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #52
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
No kidding!!! I'm in Middletown . We really need to meet up.
I love the fact there's another skoolie nearby
I’m pretty sure that it only takes two buses to make a SkoolieSwarm! I think a Women’s Skoolie meetup would be a blast.

I was at the bus last week, like a good Arizona bus she decided it was too cold to start! The next warm day I’ll go back and try again. I did scrub the sticky grunge off the entire dash and cockpit area though!

Barbara
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #53
Bus Nut

"I'm pretty sure that it only takes two buses to make a SkoolieSwarm!"
Hehehe !! Funny.
Oh yeah, wouldn't a women's meet be cool?
I really hope she starts up for you next time! That's an awful feeling.
I was getting just a click and then eventually nothing at all when I tried a couple of months ago, so i ended up needing a new starter! It was scary because it was doing that on my way back up from Florida but I kept trying and got it to start!
Old 01-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

I'm NYC area and basically ready to go! I've did all the planning and prep for building a tiny house on a trailer but I think I'm switching to a skoolie at at the last minute. I'd love to link up with people in NYmetro/south jersey.
ch1rpy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #55
Skoolie

I'm not far on Long Island. Just recently started my short bus conversion. Crawling through the winter though...cold weather sucks!!! Good luck with your direction. Elizabeth.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #56
Skoolie

Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
I'm a woman in Brooklyn, New York, although my bus is currently in Rhode Island. I have a short bus that I'm in the early stages of converting, although it's been in purgatory at the mechanic for about 2.5 months.
I'd like to connect with anyone in the NY area as well, or RI.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1rpy3 View Post
I'm NYC area and basically ready to go! I've did all the planning and prep for building a tiny house on a trailer but I think I'm switching to a skoolie at at the last minute. I'd love to link up with people in NYmetro/south jersey.
Also want to add that I would love an opportunity to spend a few days helping someone with their build. I'm not strong but I'm technical and good at problem solving and following directions Anywhere within an hour or two of the city would be fine with me, I have Tu-Thu off every week.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #58
Almost There

Well, good old Arizona is not happy in NY. There’s no block heater. My friend (who’s property the bus is on) is a never-say-die guy. If he charges both batteries separately, puts a magnetic heater under the oil pan, we disconnect an air hose to spritz starter fluid AND it’s 50 degrees, she’ll start. In the meantime, DH and I are decluttering the house, selling the house, and buying a house, so Arizona is on hold. Anybody want to come when we install the block heater???

Barbara
Old 01-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hey Barbara, I did a bit of digging but can't find the thread about your bus...specifically the engine you've got. I don't want to clutter this "women who build buses" thread, but perhaps you should start a new thread about your hard starting issue. There are lots of possible options...fuel drain back (a bad check valve, cracked fuel return lines, failed fuel rail o-rings), maybe dead glow plugs, a dead fuel preheater, a bad glow plug solenoid...so many things. But hard starting is a symptom and I'll bet the experts (they are not me!) could help you. Having a never-say-die friend to help is a bonus!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplansail View Post
Well, good old Arizona is not happy in NY. There’s no block heater. My friend (who’s property the bus is on) is a never-say-die guy. If he charges both batteries separately, puts a magnetic heater under the oil pan, we disconnect an air hose to spritz starter fluid AND it’s 50 degrees, she’ll start. In the meantime, DH and I are decluttering the house, selling the house, and buying a house, so Arizona is on hold. Anybody want to come when we install the block heater???

Barbara
Hey I would love to come around especially if you are doing engine work.

Tags
b700, b700f, bluebird, woman, women built