Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #1

Anyone own "Skoolie for Dummies"?

Yup.. another novice maybe wannabe.

The amount of threads and forums is overwhelming and need to start at square .0001.

I'm not a DIY person really, only very basic auto maintenance knowledge .. and yet, here I am.. wondering is this even a realistic idea? I don't even know what to look for in terms of engines or quality, model, how to determine a good deal from a shady one.... nada. I've been following tiny house movement since it started. I've contemplated the attempt to build one but I don't know a thing about framing (much less anything else). I've contemplated buying a shell.. it's kind of expensive when once it's all said and done, an older motorhome would do just as well. I've looked at RVs.. and seems dicey plus having to put all my existing stuff in storage... and all the adjacent unknowns... ACCCKK!

Now, looking at busses. Again. Have previously given up the idea because of the uncertainty of knowing what I'm doing. Back at it. Obviously.

Then I find this place for the first time. Huh. Maybe?

So.. here I am.

Found a 1998 BlueBird with conversion started for 9k. I don't have a clue what the specs mean, really and sadly, trying to read through all the posts to get some sense of things is even more confusing.

Is this something worth looking more into?

"1998 Bluebird school bus model #TPOC-RG 5.9L Cummins diesel with MT643 Allison automaticm transmission; 151,348 miles. Runs and drives great. Good tires, battery and all windows. Partial conversion includes: removing all seats, add subfloor with insulation, professionally spray foam insulation all walls and ceiling, some framing and wiring."

???

If not, PLEASE.. some easy beginner guidance? I need a seasoned Skoolie babysitter to hold my hand!!! *wails dramatically*

Once I get a better handle on some basics, research will be a great deal easier. It's just too much info right off the bat and genuinely don't know where to start.

Oh, I am looking at this as a possible full time residence. At least for now.. IF I am brave enough to take this leap. So full size is definitely best. Uhm, assuming that's even a standard term.

Thanks in advance to anyone that puts up with these probably-million-times-over-answered-already questions.

K

MommaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Year: 2006
Engine: DT466
Hi! New to this so other people will have much better input - but is it just you that will be living in it? Will you be able to hire someone to finish the work you want done or are you hoping to become a DIY person and figure it out?
coldcupoftea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
That bus could be a winner!

Motor - a good one
Tranny - another good one
1998 - a good year.
Gutted and insulated. - WhooHooo!

1) Have a mechanic take a look.

2) Tire tread means nothing. Tire manufacture date(stamped on the tire) is important. Tires are too old at 7-8 years. I just bought two Goodyear front tires for $250 ea. on sale, + balance, mount, disposal, etc.
Total $680 + tax.

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote