Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Engine: 7.6L DT466 International
Rated Cap: 44
Aussie in Poland starting the Skoolie life

Hi everyone,

We are a family of 5 living in Poland. I'm an Aussie and my wife is Polish and we have 3 kids and are about to join the nomadic lifestyle.

We haven't been on the idea for long but once we saw the community out there and how they live their lives we made the decision in moments and since then, I have been on the hunt for a bus. Some decisions come more easily than others and for us, this was a no-brainer.

We are searching for a 40ft RE to bring to Poland and get ready for a trip around Europe and then back over the pond to scour South America for fine beaches, fishing, all the good food I can lay my hands on and some good time with the family.

Look forward to the journey!

Kristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site Kristopher.
It is always interesting to get to hear about international skoolie projects, and hopefully you and your family ultimately get the experience you're looking for.

Depending on your budget and timeframe, to start your adventures perhaps you should consider buying one already built out wherever it is you start out from.
The actual conversion process can scare away a lot of folks that are not experienced in the many phases of construction and mechanical restoration.

Another thing to consider: A potential skoolie build out to accommodate a family your size comfortably, will not be cheap. Especially if you have to pay anyone to work on it, beside yourself or family members.

Best of luck you and if you are able to post up pics of your bus, we'd all like to see them...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This is awesome, good luck! I love seeing people from around the world try this out.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Have you looked into shipping busses over water long distances? I would be interested in what you know.
South America sounds ambitious! This is your life, not a dress rehearsal. Got for it and keep us posted!

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
A US-made bus is going to be a complete nightmare in Europe and South America when it comes to getting parts and having it serviced or repaired. I strongly suggest you buy something suitable in Europe, and because almost all South American buses' running gear is made by European companies you'll be far better off than having an irrepairable or unserviceable American bus. The big four European bus manufacturers (Volvo, Scania, Mercedes and MAN) and to a much lesser extent Iveco and DAF are all you'll find in Mexico and Central and South America. Blue Bird has (had?) a plant in Guatemala to make their chicken buses locally, but otherwise there's precious few US buses south of the Mex border.

Also, you may want to research shipping costs for a large bus - if there are no scheduled RoRo services you'll be paying A LOT. I used to work for an international freight forwarding company in England, and the costs to ship large vehicles can easily be much more than their replacement values. Folk who are driving around the world use much smaller vehicles such as Unimogs and Land Cruisers partially for this reason. The days of finding a tramp steamer to take your vehicle as deck cargo sadly are now long gone.

Good luck!
John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:44 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Sure is not the easy way to go but there are a few good reason. Firstly, we really like the US school bus. A Polish built bus would only be used by a complete lunatic. We hope to travel not just Europe and South America but North America and further so ordering parts and shipping them to strange locations will be a part of the nightmare and part of the adventure.

We did look at some European buses but nothing suited us. We do plan on making this a full time, long term plan so we need to keep it large. I do like Unimogs and Landcruisers but they don't have the size I need.

For anyone out there who might be interested in transporting a bus from the US to Europe I have done some preliminary research.

For a 38ft Bluebird with a 16' roof raise I was quoted $4200 plus some extras for port fees on both ends. That is obviously a roro (roll on roll off).Their pricing mechanisms are a function of volume.

That was Texas to Germany but there are plenty of other Ports on the East Coast and many other destination ports in Europe for similar prices. The large busy ports have several departures a month and some are weekly.

Leaving from the East Coast is a fraction of the cost of leaving from the West - that was quoted at $12,500!!!! I say again, $12500 from California to Europe!

These are initial quotes and I am sure that as I move forward more fees, taxes and nonsense will be brought to my attention. I am readying myself for the onslaught of loathsome bureaucrats with pens and stamps and forms and charges. I welcome it!

It might seem like a lot of work but travelling Europe and avoiding the madness of the crowds is worth it. Travelling by hired campers, our SUV, by foot, by train and through the air we have so far been to the very West of Portugal all the way up to Denmark and recently through the Balkans and everything in between and the change in landscape, culture, people and food over such small distances make for exciting times.

As I move forward and gain more knowledge about the sea voyage I will start a thread for those interested.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #7

Any updates??? We're a family of 4 from the UK wanting to do the same so I'm keen to hear everything!
Bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I was trying to buy a semi-completed bus from a member on the forum but it failed for a huge number of reasons. None of them were his fault, just tough luck.

I have purchased a bus from a yard on the East Coast. Fantastic crew who got the bus to a shop almost immediately so I can do a little work. Its a beautiful 40ft IC RE with the 7.6l.

As far as quotes to bring it over, it was rather cheap. It ended up about USD 4000 from several different companies.

The complication is that the Polish equivalent to a DMV is 300 years behind the rest of the world. For example, I am not permitted, as a private person, to remove the seats. I must engage a business that is formed for this purpose and they quoted me per seat. You can imagine what the final quote looked like. That was just the start of my problems in Poland.

I am considering using skoolie homes to do it for me. It was not the original plan but a lot more can be done in the US with far less hassle and I am at sea for work.

So far everything has been smooth and I am sure that getting things done in the U.S will be for the best. I'll post a little update once I choose a company.

If anyone knows a skoolie builder on the East Coast, I am still looking.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the update, you've given me even more things to look into bit great to get some concrete information even if it's not ideal. Good luck with the next steps and would love to hear more.
Bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am pleased to hear of folks wanting to bring theskoolieexperience to Europe.I hope you are able to manage all the red tape in a timely fashion so you can live your dream.

With respect to shipping a vehicle, please do start a thread. There have been a number of people on this forum that have asked about it. When you do, please post a link to the thread in this thread so those following along can hook into that thread.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Sure, Ill be sure to share that information when I begin shipping.